Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my concealed carry permit and want a DISCREET EDC bag. I'd like something reasonably small (the largest thing will be my 1911 and a spare mag) as well as the usual EDC stuff one should have. Problem is, I can't seem to find anything that doesn't look like tactical advertising. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I just got my concealed carry permit and want a DISCREET EDC bag. I'd like something reasonably small (the largest thing will be my 1911 and a spare mag) as well as the usual EDC stuff one should have. Problem is, I can't seem to find anything that doesn't look like tactical advertising. Thoughts?
If it doesn't look tactical than it's a purse ;)

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I don't like bags because they can be out of your control or forgotten. Remember you're responsible for that firearm at all times and you don't want someone else to get control of it. The best carry is on your person that you have practiced to the point of muscle memory. I prefer the hip and practice sweeping the garment away, drawing and presenting the weapon so in a crisis you will do as you have trained.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:lol: I never thought of that....thanks for checking my man-card!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I don't like bags because they can be out of your control or forgotten. Remember you're responsible for that firearm at all times and you don't want someone else to get control of it. The best carry is on your person that you have practiced to the point of muscle memory. I prefer the hip and practice sweeping the garment away, drawing and presenting the weapon so in a crisis you will do as you have trained.
This.

Depending on your frame, carrying a full size concealed can be an adventure in discomfort, but eventually (about three or four holsters later) you'll find what works best for you and it will become to the point where you're halfway in somewhere that it's unlawful to carry before you remember to go back to your vehicle and disarm.

It's definitely a lot easier to conceal comfortably and reliably in colder weather when you can wear more layers, but if you can figure out how to do it with a t-shirt on you're golden. As Meangreen alluded to, make sure you hit the range and work on your draw as often as you can until it becomes second nature.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
+1 to what Meangreen said about firearm responsibility and hip carry. A 1911 is a bigger carry gun, but I carry a 92FS regularly myself which is about the same size. In the summer I use IWB's and in the winter under the cover of a coat I get to wear the more comfortable (to me) OWB. Practicing draw pull aside your shirt/s and jacket is essential practice and could save your life. If you need it, you want it to be like second nature, drawing and putting it accurately on what you want to kill. I've got various makers of holsters but have found Tangua's real nice for the money. They are the only one I've found that made a high open top out of the waistband holster for my Beretta's for a reasonable price.

TAGUA GUN LEATHER

For a non tactical, high quality EDC bag, Camelbak makes some excellent small packs and of course come with a water bladder.

CamelBak | Shop All Hydration Backpacks & Daypacks

Since I don't care about tactical myself though, I use a Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger. It goes on quick and stays out of the way of my sidearm.

Tactical Nylon Military Gear Shoulder Sling Backpacks, Single Strap Packs for Bug Out, Survival

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Glad I am female - there are many nice purses for concealed carry.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
If you are a member of the NRA their Dec. issue of American Rifleman has a whole section on Off Body Carry.
Many bags, discriptions, and addresses where you can purchase them.

Starts on page 66

·
Registered
938 Posts
I carry a 5.11 Tactical PUSH Pack for EDC.

It looks businesslike and professional. It rarely draws a second glance nowadays. Most men in the business world carry a laptop case or attaché case, messenger bag, etc.

It can carry a full size handgun (SIG P220R Carry plus two spare mags) in the zippered pouch in the rear.

My employer does not allow firearms in the workplace.

The PUSH Pack allows me to carry:

Kimber Guardian Angel OC Pepper Blaster;
iPhone and car charger;
Benchmade rescue hook;
Benchmade knife;
SOG knife;
Gerber box cutter (for opening boxes, etc.);
Swiss Army Champion knife;
Surefire 6P flashlight;
Streamlight flashlight (backup, admin mode, strobe);
Streamlight stylus;
Surefire Maximus head lamp;
Hand sanitizer and lens cleaning towelettes;
Digital tape recorder;
USB jump drive;
Business cards;
Bottle of water;
Pelto Bismol tablets;
Aleve bottle;
Pair of nitrile gloves;
Two tactical pens;
Car window glass breaker;
Altoids;
Energy bar; and
small bags of snacks and hard candy.

I also toss in my car keys, office keys, and garage door remote. And my wallet, but usually I carry my keys, wallet, a pocket knife, and my iPhone in my pants pockets.

I sling it and keep it locked in my desk, or car trunk.

It is perfect for concealed carry. Zippered pouch means no inadvertent display. Does not print.

I have had to use it twice - both times I never had to draw.

One time I was approached on my way to my car by a white guy and a black guy. They were acting aggressive and hinky, and asked me "what's in the bag, man?" I just reached my hand into the zippered compartment, looked them right in the eyes, and said "Everything I need."

They left me alone and moved away.

The next time I was waiting in a fast food drive thru line when a small pack of teenagers (all blacks) came walking up to my vehicle. They were eyeballing me, looking for signs of fear on my face. I just put my hand on the gun, and showed no fear. They also left me alone.

I like the 5.11 PUSH pack - small but can carry a lot, tough, durable, comfortable, well built, cool mesh padding to keep it off your skin, and it has a belt loop strap that allows you to secure it to your belt to keep it from moving if you need to run, or to stop it from swaying around.

When I was on crutches, I could sling it across my chest, and hook the belt loop through my belt and then slip the tag end of my belt through my buckle, and it held the pack out of my way when I was hobbling around, with a handgun in easy reach. Great setup.

$60 and comes in three colors.

I chose black, because it matches all my outfits and has a slimming effect, and because I am a fashionista.

Just kidding about that last part. I call it my tactical bag but my wife calls it my man purse.

So I call it my man purse too - I can take a joke.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am way to picky about my guns, I like to have them on my person. I carry a separate bag in my truck for all the other daily stuff I may need. I hope you find what you are looking for.

I was with my wife one day at the store, she was trying on close and asked me to hold her (black) purse. This older guy comes up to me and says that purse don't match your (brown) shoes, trying to be funny. I just smiled and told him nope, but it does match my .45 his eyes got about the size of half dollars and he sped off. Man card still intact

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I am way to picky about my guns, I like to have them on my person. I carry a separate bag in my truck for all the other daily stuff I may need. I hope you find what you are looking for.

I was with my wife one day at the store, she was trying on close and asked me to hold her (black) purse. This older guy comes up to me and says that purse don't match your (brown) shoes, trying to be funny. I just smiled and told him nope, but it does match my .45 his eyes got about the size of half dollars and he sped off. Man card still intact
Yep, no ones coming to take for that one.:mrgreen:
That guy probably had a little yellow running down his leg. I would have said, "You're fashion conscious and practical. As long as it's not a pink 1911."

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The main reason for concealed carry is to have your gun quickly available when you need it.
The problem with most concealed carry devices is that while you have your gun it is not quickly available.
I have carried for forty-two years and tried most everything that has come along. Most holsters are inaccessible when seated -especially in a car with a seat belt on. If you are carrying "off-body" then you have to open your carry device and then access it. The fastest, most reliable holster that I have found is a shoulder holster. I can quickly access my gun from almost any position and it won't fall if I decide to do a somersault or a roll. It can't be grabbed by someone else and I can get to it even if the target is watching me by going for my cigarettes first. The move is then an "acceptable" movement. When putting the pack back into my pocket I can get the gun, aim and fire before he has a chance to recognize the threat and respond to it.

I practice a lot with my holsters - yes I have a few for each gun. You should practice with yours too - use an unloaded gun - from all different positions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Art Font Motor vehicle Poster Collage got this setup from a member on a different forum. Made one for myself and my wife and we keep take them where ever we go kinda like a ghb/edc. If any are interested I can send the whole load out in an email. Very pic intensive for the site. But as you can see by the pic I posted its pretty well thought out.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I have CC with a desert eagle not practical but doable under a denim jacket ditto on the shoulder rig I have Bomber leather jacket that I carry my 45 XDM in a hidden compartment, ditto on the car / seatbelt thank god I live in Texas and you can CC in a car / Summers are challenging I carry a 90 series colt 45 acp Lightweight officers DBL eagle in cargo shorts.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts