Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working this week trying to clear some woods for more pasture. Most of what we have been dropping is pine. It’s been me, my son, a chain saw, and our tractor doing the work.
I got three good 1/2 days work in. It’s so hot that working past noon is brutal. Got about 3/4 of a acre cleaned out.
On the last day one of the hydraulic cylinders on the tractor bucket gave up the ghost. It was spray fluid out like a sieve.
So with the tractor down we were down. Did some work limbing the downed pines and starting a big brush pile.

I am going to have to rebuild the cylinder myself. A new one is 700 dollars and a seal kit is 40. I will post back and let everyone know how that goes. Maybe I can figure out how to do a video.
I got my parts at Messicks | Your home for New Holland, Case IH, Kubota & More...
If posting a link is against the rules the I am sorry…Not
Just trying to help out someone who might be in the same situation.
p.s. Messicks does some awesome YouTube videos. If you are new to tractors or like me and haven’t run one since being a teenager they are helpful.

BoF

·
Super Moderator
9,608 Posts
I have been working this week trying to clear some woods for more pasture. Most of what we have been dropping is pine. It’s been me, my son, a chain saw, and our tractor doing the work.
I got three good 1/2 days work in. It’s so hot that working past noon is brutal. Got about 3/4 of a acre cleaned out.
On the last day one of the hydraulic cylinders on the tractor bucket gave up the ghost. It was spray fluid out like a sieve.
So with the tractor down we were down. Did some work limbing the downed pines and starting a big brush pile.

I am going to have to rebuild the cylinder myself. A new one is 700 dollars and a seal kit is 40. I will post back and let everyone know how that goes. Maybe I can figure out how to do a video.
I got my parts at Messicks | Your home for New Holland, Case IH, Kubota & More...
p.s. Messicks does some awesome YouTube videos. If you are new to tractors or like me and haven’t run one since being a teenager they are helpful.

BoF
This isn't blatant self promotion or trying to promote your company or products. You're good, no worries and there may be others who can benefit from this.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Parts came in this week and I wish I could say it was a success story. I tore down the cylinder and replaced all the seals easy enough. I had a couple of good YouTube videos.
The upper part of the cylinder rebuild was the issue. The leak was from the bottom seals and that went easy.
One gasket on the upper end is really tight and it stretches when you work it into place. The material on this gasket is like a plastic and less like a rubber o-ring. Once it is stretched it doesn’t pop back into shape.
This cause problems when you insert the shaft and seals back into the cylinder case. It binds up and wants to roll or tear.
So…. I was able to fix the leak on the bottom end but now the top end doesn’t hold pressure. When I tilt the bucket back it slowly lowers back to a full down position. FRUSTRATING AS HELL.

I wasted money on seals and I am going to end up taking it to a hydraulic shop after all. Kubota really needs to rethink their gasket material on this one crucial part.
BoF

·
Banned
21,290 Posts

BoF
BOF

What size HP is your Kubota?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. For sure. I was pushing some big timber. I already had a small leak on that side and I killed it over working it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Additionally,
The gasket in question is the yellow flat gasket that fits between the two blue spilt seal gaskets on each end of the upper unit. 40 bucks for the gasket set shot for one piss poor design.
BoF

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm assuming you maxed out the Loader Capacity? Specs show 1950lbs and 1058lbs at max height?
these are max weights to prevent the tractor from tipping over on a lift.
In other words, exceed these bucket weights and the tractor takes a nose dive on the lift.
these weights are not limitations on the hydraulic capabilities.
BoF

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok preppers
Time to close out the seal issue discussion.
I did find a friend of a friend in Alabama that has a hydraulic shop.
I got the friend price of 50.00 a cylinder (1/2 price) and he said it’s best to rebuild both sides instead of one.
So I ponied up the hundred dollars and added a bottle of makers mark to the deal for next day service.
A gasket rebuild set from Kubota is 40 a side. Regular price at a shop is 100 a side. It was worth the extra cash to have it done.
He did share that the factory seals are shitty and that they use a better gasket and a sleeve to insert the rod and glands back into the housing. The internet leaves that out of the YouTube videos.
So the tractor is up and running again and yesterday I finished stacking the cut up trees and brush.
BoF

1 - 10 of 10 Posts