Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I've been thinking about trying to recruit people into my group. Right now the only people I have that are really into prepping is my wife and I. Is this a good idea to try and add people that I don't even know or is it not a good idea? If it is a good idea what have you guys done in the past to try and find the right people? Because I feel like here in Florida, where I live I'm the only one doing it, but I don't go around telling people that I prep so there can be a like minded person standing right next to me and neither one of us would even know it.

Thanks
James

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I was thinking of adding people to the prep just in case we run out of food. I can’t have any Mexicans because Mexican food always gives me gas. I think Chinese people but I know I will just be hungry right after. White people probably taste like bologna or some other processed food. Not sure whom to add? :D

·
Registered
634 Posts
This is a very fine line to walk. It has been something I have been thinking about for a while but it's a matter of who can you find and trust. One day you life may be in there hands and you have to know they will be there for you.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I was thinking of adding people to the prep just in case we run out of food. I can't have any Mexicans because Mexican food always gives me gas. I think Chinese people but I know I will just be hungry right after. White people probably taste like bologna or some other processed food. Not sure whom to add? :D
Kidnapping will get you everywhere.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I was thinking of adding people to the prep just in case we run out of food. I can't have any Mexicans because Mexican food always gives me gas. I think Chinese people but I know I will just be hungry right after. White people probably taste like bologna or some other processed food. Not sure whom to add? :D
Just be very careful about mixing Chinese and Germans. An hour after eating, you will be hungry for power!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wish there were more people that lived near me that prepped. It's just my husband and I. I have a distant family member that we talk to cause he has a vast knowledge of firearms (one we actually bought from him). We prep a lot of foods and ammo. We're no experts by any means but we have done a lot of research and we are able to give him tips and answer questions he has. At the same time, he knows we prep food and some of what we prep but doesn't just how much we have. I enjoy the fact that I have a tangible person (no offence guys) we can bounce ideas off of and vice versa. But we have never talked about him and his fiancée joining us if SHTF.

·
Super Moderator
9,264 Posts
In numbers there is safety. Now that I'm in Arizona, I get to go thru the whole recruitment process all over again. Trying to feel people's mindset out is bad enough for things you can talk about openly. Talking about prepping can be so hard especially when you can't afford to give away your secrets..

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I numbers there is safety. Now that I'm in Arizona, I get to go thru the whole recruitment process all over again. Trying to feel people's mindset out is bad enough for things you can talk about openly. Talking about prepping can be so hard especially when you can't afford to give away your secrets..
"I was flipping through the channels last night, and I stopped on that, what is it called... Doomsday Preppers? You ever seen that?"

I find the people I want around tend to laugh and say yep, buncha twits. The rest respond, "Oh I know, I watch that every week!".

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I reckon it's probably like dating...frequent the places where you'd meet the type of people you want to consider for your group and if you find someone interesting, ask them out!

That might be places like gun ranges, expos, political meetings for a cause you follow, (okay experts, your turn to chime in, I got nothing)... The bottom line is that you'd need to have some form of common ground as a foundation to build upon.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The best way to "add" people is to make friends. Some might be "preppers" and others you might be able to open the subject of "government recommended" supplies for emergencies. Somehow it is more "acceptable" to people to do something the government suggests than it is to prepare for emergencies on your own. Red Cross first aid classes and the free CPR classes put on by the local fire department would certainly mix you in with others that are trying to be prepared - although they might be there because their work place required it. You should be careful with how much personal information you share at least until you have known someone long enough to trust them with it. This is not an "over-night" process and might take a year or more. Then again you might run into someone who is looking for the same thing. Spend some time doing the things you like and want your friend to like too. Find out about their family background and how they feel politically.
There are also things that are red flags that tell me to walk away. Bigots, controllers, haters and abusers are people I will not even associate with and druggers and alcoholics have no place in my circle of friends.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Our groups was formed of like minded people that share long term family or Military service.
Anyone new is invited after they come to our attention. Long before we invite them we know them.
Good luck in you search

Reactions: ekim
1 - 11 of 11 Posts