Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the ACR just looks cooler, but I have heard a lot of issues with these. Also price is a factor. Is ACR's just a supped up AR with tons of Magpul stuff on it or am I missing something?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm not sure myself, but it looks sexy! yeah Price point on it is stupid ridiculous!

·
Registered
60 Posts
ACR are totally diferent thing to the AR.

They are operated in two different system. The AR are direct impingement. While the ACR are gas stroke gas system. How do you tell? Well AR15's stock does not fold while ACR has a folding stock.

Think ACR as AK47, or SKS.

If you want to shoot 5.56/.223 then stick with the traditional AR15 system. It is way cheaper and you can get spare parts and also most people are familiar with it. The last thing you want when SHTF is you having a gun that there is no replacement parts for or easy to get replacement parts.

As a prepper you should stick with the most simple system and the most common system. So if you are putting the money out to buy an AR type weapon then stick with the AR15 not something weird. Plus with the money you spend on an ACR you can buy 3 AR15s. So save your money and buy an AR.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The ACR is at the top of my list... if they ever release the conversion kits. Otherwise I'm with armyguy- the price is high and the parts aren't as easily accessible.

·
Registered
231 Posts
ACR are totally diferent thing to the AR.

They are operated in two different system. The AR are direct impingement. While the ACR are gas stroke gas system. How do you tell? Well AR15's stock does not fold while ACR has a folding stock.

Think ACR as AK47, or SKS.

If you want to shoot 5.56/.223 then stick with the traditional AR15 system. It is way cheaper and you can get spare parts and also most people are familiar with it. The last thing you want when SHTF is you having a gun that there is no replacement parts for or easy to get replacement parts.

As a prepper you should stick with the most simple system and the most common system. So if you are putting the money out to buy an AR type weapon then stick with the AR15 not something weird. Plus with the money you spend on an ACR you can buy 3 AR15s. So save your money and buy an AR.
There are many many different ARs out there with a gas piston system that are way cheaper than the ACR.

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
At this point, it is too early in the game to buy one. I would not want to put my life on a yet proven system.
I would rather by two top quality ar's with the money for which there plenty of parts available.
Yes the direct impingement system is dirtier than a piston model,
however, the military would have changed to something else in the last 45+ years if it was a major problem.
As a ng unit armorer for 20 years, match armorer for 10 and a gunsmith for more decades than i care to remember,
i have never run into a fail problem with gas residue in the receiver.
The two most prominent failures with an ar that i have had to repair with replacements are, gas ring wear and gas tube wear.
A ballpark replacement time for the rings would be about 3k rounds and 4 for the tube. Rings are cheap, what price your life?
This will vary dependent on factors such as sandy terrain and misaligned gas tubes.
Premature failure of the rings can be caused in after market carriers with rough bores that the rings seal against.
With the political conditions as they are in this country, you cannot afford to squander on what may be a short ended system.
If they close up the assault weapons, no parts will be forthcoming for the new entries.
You will be able to inventory ar parts for quit a while.

I have owned ar's since 1963 and have never had a problem with them. i have run about 3 thousand rounds through an m16a1 without
cleaning it, just throwing some pl special into the action.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Converting to piston is something the military has been looking at for years now. It's the money, logostics and making a decision that hasn't gotten it done to me. They take forever to bring in changes at times and what's brought in and what's taken out is heavily favored by political reasons. When a company looses a contract people loose jobs too and right now people are fighting to keep their jobs. As for whether it's a big difference between DI and piston in how much better one runs and is to maintain than the other, it's big enough in my opinion which is why I haven't owned a DI in years and have been running piston AR's for those years now instead. So much cleaner and cooler in the receiver with some of the most essential parts of the system and one that stays lubricated through many, many rounds.

As for the ACR, it's not as in heavy use as the AR is if that matters to someone. And the parts availability between the two is a mountain of gap. For the prepper that can be a concern, but if you buy enough spares and your rifle doesn't break you'll be ok. If it doesn't go that way fixing it in time could be a major problem, if you ever fix it. Overall the design of the rifle is beautiful in my opinion. I wanted a Masada when Magpul annouced it, but when they let Bushmaster take the reins I was worried and when they released it with the new hefty price I made the decision to not bother with it. At this point my firearms are very prepper geared annd the AR15 is the better of them two choices for easier sustainability to me. A piston AR depending on which you go with runs as good as any ACR I've gotten time to use and has much more common parts. The none common parts depending on which you go with are easily bought and stored. For the Adams Arms system AR's I favor now you can get a whole replacement system for under $300 and the rest of the parts are all common AR parts.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I thought the ACR was recalled in 2010. I assume they fixed the issue.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It was and hopefully is. It was trigger related if I remember right and something about too many rounds per squeeze, har har.:mrgreen:
That's what I heard too. But as I have no desire to own one, and I haven't been in contact with my late husband's friends in a while I am greatly out of the loop.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
That's what I heard too. But as I have no desire to own one, and I haven't been in contact with my late husband's friends in a while I am greatly out of the loop.
Here ya go. If you're interested in a smooth running, ultra reliable, easy to maintain carbine, give Adams a look. Their making conversion kits, lower, uppers and complete rifles now with their system used by more companies than themselves than any other piston AR manufacturer. Smith & Wesson being the biggest. A person can either buy a basic Adams rifle for around a $1000 these days or an upper and complete lower seperately for just over $900.

Adams Arms - Adams Arms - AR15 Gas Piston Systems

In the links section of their site your find a list of retailers and can see the options, availability and current prices out there right now. Now's a hard time on getting many firearms though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thank you much, I appreciate it. But I am good on carbines.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just built a new SPR in 6.8 SPC II with a 20" Wilson Airguaged HBAR barrel. With optics and everything I am in it for about 1800 bucks. Magpul PRS stock, MIAD grip, Daniel Defense free floated quad rails, bipod and rail covers. I will post a pic later. I can punch a dime sized hole at 300 meters all day long with three rounds.

It supplements Colt 6920, the Bushie A2 I built the wife, the S&W M&P AR15-22 and my old standby Ruger 10-22. Not to mention all the pistols.

I got all my parts from J&T, AR Performance and some local stores (also the optics from Primary Arms). If you want to build one, send me a pm and I can help you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Both the ACR and SCAR 16 have been dropped from further military consideration and testing. They simply would not do anything that much better than the standard M4.

The SCAR 17 in 7.62 is used a lot here by the teams and they seem to like them.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Both the ACR and SCAR 16 have been dropped from further military consideration and testing. They simply would not do anything that much better than the standard M4.

The SCAR 17 in 7.62 is used a lot here by the teams and they seem to like them.
If they want to step up to a rifle that runs cleaner and cooler, is easy to maintain and more reliable for longer they should just convert the existing M4's and M16's to a piston system conversion like Adams in my opinion. It would be better logistically and for the decreased budget. I doubt they will though and soldiers will still be using M4's till the country collapses.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Here ya go. If you're interested in a smooth running, ultra reliable, easy to maintain carbine, give Adams a look. Their making conversion kits, lower, uppers and complete rifles now with their system used by more companies than themselves than any other piston AR manufacturer. Smith & Wesson being the biggest. A person can either buy a basic Adams rifle for around a $1000 these days or an upper and complete lower seperately for just over $900.

Adams Arms - Adams Arms - AR15 Gas Piston Systems

In the links section of their site your find a list of retailers and can see the options, availability and current prices out there right now. Now's a hard time on getting many firearms though.
I have two Huldra arms weapons they are based on The Adams Arms and use Adams lowers and piston system. Simple and flawless.
One is a Carbine shoots 1 MOA real world better. The other an X Pre1 it is sub MOA and a fine weapon.
Cleaning the Gas piston version is so much fun
Mark IV carbine with Mags and case 949 currently hard to find better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts