Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know this isn't the biggest concern when SHTF and all, but I'm pretty old school and I was just wondering...

Anyone know of any way to have makeup keep for longer storage?

My looks aren't going to be the first worry when things go down but when (if) the time comes I'd like to be ready. Plus, never underestimate the blackmarket-ability ( yay, making up new words! WEEEE!) of beauty items. Look at the price of nylons and lipstick during WW2 smugglers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm guessing you are trying to avoid powders (which have some moisture) and potions from drying out?

Would canning seal in the moisture? BTW cosmetics would be a great trade item!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Don't forget nylons those make great trading material too.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
king pen, be worth more than tools! and frgrance too. water proof storage and throw in some silica jel sounds reasonable to me. what a super barter item idea!

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
yes, i know this isn't the biggest concern when shtf and all, but i'm pretty old school and i was just wondering...

Anyone know of any way to have makeup keep for longer storage?

My looks aren't going to be the first worry when things go down but when (if) the time comes i'd like to be ready. Plus, never underestimate the blackmarket-ability ( yay, making up new words! Weeee!) of beauty items. Look at the price of nylons and lipstick during ww2 smugglers.
vac pack the items you need. It will keep the powders from caking and will reduce decomp of the wax and oil bases in the others. Perfumes and colognes do not need to be preserved, however the notes will diminish in time because of their organic origin.

·
Registered
55 Posts
vac pack the items you need. It will keep the powders from caking and will reduce decomp of the wax and oil bases in the others. Perfumes and colognes do not need to be preserved, however the notes will diminish in time because of their organic origin.
These are all great points and tips,thanks(My wife may need them,not me) ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the help.

It was the oils in the makeup I was mostly worried about as any woman's who's tried to use bad lipstick knows. Ewwwww. I have to admit, I'm a major girly girl and if I'm able to primp then I do it. But having barter and market items would be a plus in case anything happens to the stockpile and I have to find something fast.

·
Registered
481 Posts
To answer question - I would vacuum seal your stash and keep it in the fridge. It will keep the oils in the makeup from breaking down so quickly.

I actually stopped wearing 90% of the makeup and hair products I used to use and I don't miss them at all. My husband actually hates it when women overdo it with makeup, so I keep my look simple for him. I actually found my skin tone improved when I stopped wearing foundation and I rarely have breakouts now. I also save a ton of money.

However, as a woman I totally get what you are saying and I think it can definitely be a good attitude booster to primp up with some mascara and really basic makeup. I think lotion, razors, and chapstick will be primo bartering material someday. Razors are a big deal for me and I don't like being without one. I know I don't wanna be walking around looking like bigfoot when SHTF. LOL.

I do want to caution people from looking too good during a SHTF situation. It can make you a target and raise eyebrows. Honestly, I would avoid being clean cut, overweight, or looking too pretty in a long term SHTF scenario. People will know you've got supplies and if things are bad enough, they might just try to come and take them away from you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed with overdoing the makeup issue. I usually just do a basic mascara, foundation and lipstick to look nice. But overdone makeup looks trashy. I'm trailer enough and don't need the trash. Agreed again with the overweight issue, too. It's one of the reasons I'm trying so hard to lose weight lately. I still can't run for anything but at least now I can punch and knife my way out of a situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts