Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am hardly an expert, but I was thinking about adding to my existing long term food storage. I have been taking my health more seriously over the last year and a large part of that is being aware of what I put in my body. The sad fact is most of us are clueless about what we are eating and whether is it even good for us. Most are satisfied if it tastes good and that is the end of that. In the mean time we are facing an obesity crisis, heart disease and diabetes are on the rise and the younger generation is actually expected to not live as long as their parents.

So I started reading labels and I looked at the labels on my Wise and Mountain House freeze dried foods and I was shocked as to how few calories to sodium you are getting per package. As an example Wise Creamy Pasta and Vegetable Rotini has 4 servings and is 200 calories per serving, so are you really only eating 200 calories? no your eating the whole package which is 800 calories, but it is a whopping 2400 mg of sodium. That means if your a guy you still need to eat 1200 more calories and you have already had 400 mg more sodium than you should in a day. I personally think even 2000 is to high, so how do you get your other 1200 calories without overdosing on salt? We would all be dead from hypertension or a stroke before the Apocalypse was over, so we need to think about mixing it up with our food stores.

I understand their are some lower sodium alternatives available now and I need to look into them. Right now my thinking is mixing canned foods, with freeze dried and MREs. I believe morale should also be considered when preparing. Not all of us can garden due to space or skill issues and most people wont make the time to learn anyway, so that means food storage is the answer for most people. Any rate I am just venting and I need to think on this some more. I did stumble across a little website that seems to focus on MREs and I thought they had some good prices. They appear to be relatively new and didn't have a lot to choose from, but they did have real military MREs which I prefer over the civilian ones. I don't understand why the civilian ones don't just repackage the military ones. I want 12 menus per case not 6, Like I said morale needs to be considered and meal choices is a big deal in my mind.

Oh that website is called allmres.com Any thoughts on what I said?

P.S

I just cracked open a MRE and I counted the calories and sodium of a Cheese Tortellini

It totaled 1,410 calories and 1,920mg of sodium which is less sodium and more calories than the freeze dried. I did notice that the trail mix only had 300 calories and 620mg of sodium, so you could not eat that or rinse off the nuts and drastically reduce the sodium.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I agree on the salt issue. It would be hard to survive on freeze dried foods alone. Or any other processed food with excess sodium.

Have you considered storing bulk dried foods such as; beans, rice, lentils, wheat, etc.?

I find prepping can be OVERWHELMING and am trying to find ways of breaking it down into manageable segments.

Have no experience with MRE’s despite serving five years in the military.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree - buckets of foods such as beans, oatmeal, some rice, various grains etc are an excellent way to go. Also get a high quality grain grinder.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,643 Posts
Hi Merge, great post! Food storage is a bit of an obsession for me, but the sad truth is that we're not gonna get optimal health eating a diet of shelf stable foods, period. Still, something is always better than nothing when it comes to eating, right!? I do store some stuff (from the Mormons) that has a long term shelf life, but other than that I to try to stick to foods that rotate out within a year or two. Some of the better for you stuff I do: can a lot of my own meats, and buy canned tuna, salmon, chicken, lots of canned beans. Sauerkraut is a good one to stock up on, peppers and artichoke hearts, canned tomatoes, corn, peas. I keep olive and coconut oils in a spare fridge--oils are important, but won't keep long term. I've learned to avoid stuff my family won't eat, like canned green beans. Sprouts are a really good option, easy to grow and loaded with vitamins--something I'm not doing as yet, but I've got to get going on.

Have you ever considered raised bed gardening? This is what we do. This year was a total wipe-out due to our garden being ravaged by deer. Our stupid neighbor feeds them, so they come around quite often. Next year, we're fencing the garden in and hopefully coming back strong with lots to preserve.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Hi Merge, great post! Food storage is a bit of an obsession for me, but the sad truth is that we're not gonna get optimal health eating a diet of shelf stable foods, period. Still, something is always better than nothing when it comes to eating, right!? I do store some stuff (from the Mormons) that has a long term shelf life, but other than that I to try to stick to foods that rotate out within a year or two. Some of the better for you stuff I do: can a lot of my own meats, and buy canned tuna, salmon, chicken, lots of canned beans. Sauerkraut is a good one to stock up on, peppers and artichoke hearts, canned tomatoes, corn, peas. I keep olive and coconut oils in a spare fridge--oils are important, but won't keep long term. I've learned to avoid stuff my family won't eat, like canned green beans. Sprouts are a really good option, easy to grow and loaded with vitamins--something I'm not doing as yet, but I've got to get going on.

Have you ever considered raised bed gardening? This is what we do. This year was a total wipe-out due to our garden being ravaged by deer. Our stupid neighbor feeds them, so they come around quite often. Next year, we're fencing the garden in and hopefully coming back strong with lots to preserve.
Amen on the deer. I have a stupid neighbor feeding them also. This required me to install 6 foot fencing around the garden. So the deer moved to my fruit trees and berry bushes. They ate over 50% of my peaches and broke branches also.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,643 Posts
Amen on the deer. I have a stupid neighbor feeding them also. This required me to install 6 foot fencing around the garden. So the deer moved to my fruit trees and berry bushes. They ate over 50% of my peaches and broke branches also.
Wow, sorry to hear that. Do you have any idea on how to discourage them away from your trees?

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
Crossbows or bows in general are a quiet way of thinning the heard.

Reactions: Prepared One

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
My food storage is divided between Perma-Pak and Walton Feed. I have a year supply for 5 people based on 2500 cal a day. I looked at the sodium content very low. But they are not complete meals like you mentioned. It is the ingredients to make a meal. Like I use the beef flavored TVP for spaghetti, or mix with egg and make meatloaf. But it is all balanced to make a meal, like Chicken TVP or fruit cocktail, green beans peas, corn etc. Shelf life 25 years. I opened up some Chicken TVP last month I think EXP date was 2010. Tasted pretty good and I am alive to talk about it. If you are interested in this type of thing, talk to an LDS friend. They can generally point you in the right direction. And we won't try to proselytize you.

Reactions: jimb1972 and Kauboy

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that. Do you have any idea on how to discourage them away from your trees?

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
Short answer, NO. I fence my young trees to give them a fighting chance to get established before they are eaten to death. But after a couple of years it isn't practical to fence anymore.

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
LOL! Are we talking about using the crossbow on the deer or the stupid neighbors?:tango_face_wink:
Bowman's choice. Remember the 3 s's: shoot, shovel, shut up

Reactions: Prepared One

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was told to do raised bed gardening, I need to make more time to learn about it. I seen a video where they grow sprouts in mason jars and thought it was a great idea. Thanks for the input Annie!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have always wondered kind of what the OP is. IF it really hits the fan, how many days would it take for your body to adjust to the food storage and its contents that we would be consuming? I think it might be a sort of shock to the body on what is being taken in.

I have a small grinder for grains, I tend not to try to store these grains because of insect issues, mainly corn and wheat. Weevils are the main concern. I have found an insecticide that can take it out with out having any bodily harm for later consumption but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Seems like a legit deal though.

I like to stock up on bagged beans and rice though, flour included, because it has already been processed.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Food quality is a very important subject and not just for our long term storage. This is why I have worked most of my life and turned my yard into a food factory. The OP is correct to be concerned about the typical american diet. Increased cases of Heart disease, diabetes, cancer, dementia, autism, organ failure and gastrointestinal disease can all be linked to the poor quality of our food.
I am able to grow most of the food I eat on my property, including a lot of what my animals eat and try to improve on this every year. By growing our own we are able to control the quality. No, we all can't do this because of our physical limitations, but we can make better choices on what we do eat and where we get it from.

I honestly could talk for hours about the poor quality of the disgusting food that is sold in the grocery stores. Did you know, for example that cows are fed chicken shit and other trash from the floor of the chicken houses? this "high protein feed" bulks them up fast so they can be butchered younger. Did you also know that the silage fed to dairy cows not only is waste products of vegetable waste (rotten food), but is used by the farmers to quickly dispose of the bodies of calves that die. Cows you get your dairy products from are fed the composted remains of their dead calves. Disgusted yet? what about the wheat and other grains used to make your sweet treats, breads and pastas? did you know that commercial farmers forcibly kill their crops using Round UP, that way the grain all dries at the same time and can be harvested at the same time across thousands of acres of grain fields? These farming methods may save the farmer money and you will also save at the grocery store because of it, but you will pay in the long run.

I have canned, dehydrated, frozen, pickled and fermented food all my life because this is how I avoid buying from the store. A few years ago I also started freeze drying my own to be able to store a wider variety of shelf stable foods. Instead of buying freeze dried foods that are made with poor quality ingredients and way to much sodium, sugar and mostly are just flavored carbs, I freeze dry what comes straight out of my garden, or what I have made into meals. I freeze dry milk products, eggs, cooked and raw meats, fruit, veggies, lots of soups, casseroles and a few treats like marshmallows to be used in hot chocolate. I store it all in mylar for long term storage, or in jars for frequently used items like onions, celery, spinach and cabbage that I frequently toss into daily meals.

I am by no means trying to sell the freeze driers as a perfect option because they are expensive, a newer home version that has its problems and is not the fastest way to preserve your food. However, if you feel having freeze dried foods is important in your long term storage plans, and you want to have a better quality of food than what you can buy they are well worth getting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts