Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody here ever been in a power cut?
It happened to my city about 15 years ago and I've never forgotten the shock of being suddenly plunged back into the Stone Age in the blink of an eye!
i was sitting at my computer one evening after dark when suddenly it switched itself off and the light in the room went off.
At first i thought a fuse had blown, but then i realised the street lamp outside had gone off too.
I looked out the window and there was no light anywhere, not a glimmer of any kind, no car lights either because I wasn't on a main road.
Power cut! (It lasted about an hour and blacked out the city, i don't think they ever did find out what caused it)

"Oh well" i thought, "i might as well make myself a cup of tea"..
But the kettle stayed cold because i'd forgotten it was an electric kettle, duh..
So i trudged into the other room to watch TV. Bad move, no electricity..
It was turning cold, so i tried the electric heating. Stone cold of course..
I ambled into the back garden to look around and see if i could spot a light somewhere, anywhere, but without success.
Then as my eyes grew accustomised to the pitch blackness, I glanced up to the sky, and was hit by the stunning sight of a trillion stars blazing down that took my breath away!

As a city-dweller i'd never seen them like this before because of light pollution, but now i could see the whole heavenly array in all their splendour, not just the usual bright ones but all the tiny faint ones like grains of sand, and the band of the Milky Way across the zenith, the whole show seemed to have an awesomely dizzying 3D depth to it, it was almost like being face to face with God himself!
It was a very spiritual experience, there i was, back in the stone age without electricity,cold, lonely and dying for a cup of tea, yet there were the heavens blazing down in all their glory, huge, powerful, majestic, eternal..
"..praise to the Lord, to him who rides the ancient skies above" (Psalm 68:33-34)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Just lost power this last Saturday for just over four hours starting at 2:20 AM. Got up to use the bathroom and nothing. The wife and I called in the power loss to an automated phone system - of course no telling when they would fix it. Got in the truck and drove seven miles before we saw any lights on. Came home, started thinking about hooking up the generator but thought I'd wait for four hours - leave refrigerator and freezer closed.....

At the four hour mark I headed out to the garage to dig out the generator and hook to the house - just as I rolled it into place and went looking for the power cord the lights came on.. Yea!

Being without power is a real wakeup call. We got a generator back in 2004 after four direct hurrican strikes in our county. I don't have a whole house generator but I did get it wired into the electrical panel which allows me to run everything except the heater and A/C. Cealing fans in summer make a huge difference, trust me!

1895gunner

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
..Being without power is a real wakeup call..
Absolutely, I had a torch (flashlight) when the lights went out, a simple little thing like that was a tremendous plus because I could read by it and make a sandwich by it, and mooch around by it.
Incidentally, back in the 1970's Brit power workers went on strike and we had random blackouts all over the country but it didn't last long because furious vigilante gangs were going around to the homes of power workers to beat the krap out of them.
One vigilante said in the paper- "My elderly mother lives alone, and if she has an accident trying to move around her house due to a blackout, I shall personally find out the addresses of power workers and pay them a personal call".
Like I said, the power workers soon had second thoughts and called off the strike..;)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Wow! You haven't had your electricity go out in more than a decade? Where I live, the power goes out sometimes weekly. I've lived as long as a week without power and it is very good practice for a preppers. It definitely makes you realize how much we rely on electricity to provide for a family and just how labor intensive the alternatives are. Doing dishes alone become a 3 hour task, doing laundry is even worse.

Love the picture you posted - it reminds me of Carl Sagan :)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i live in los angeles. we have roving black out. in a storm a coupla yrs back we lost power for 47 hours. every one coming to me for candles.
no thank you, i shut and locked the door turned on my battery lantern and read. ive always been ready for something.and not alarmed when something happened. i felt not helping people was helping them, perhaps next time they shall be prepared?tealights are great, burn for 3-4 hours, dont have to blow them out- get 100 for 3.45 at bed bath and beyond and very light. grab a couple for your bob. the weight is very minimal.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
..I shut and locked the door turned on my battery lantern and read..
Good move, stuff to read in a post-doomsday world is something people tend to overlook..:)
I mean, with probably no TV or radio, boredom will quickly set in and reading is a great way to pass the time.
If I have to get outta town I'll raid my bookshelf for as many books as i can carry.
Also in demand in those bleak days will be entertainers such as musicians, singers and comedians who i'm sure any survival group would be glad to have...:)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am often shocked when upon driving into town find that they are without power. I never know it because my solar is always up and running, so everything is normal here at my place. Generators I nice, I have 3, but they are never going to be the answer for long term, as fuel will become an issue very quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.