Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next door neighbor who is a key member of our little Mutual Assistance Group was on his way back home last week from visiting some family near Springfield, MO when the rag-top on his Jeep was cut and some very valuable cargo was stolen. He had just filled his gas tank and the fuel pump gave him a message to go into the store to get his receipt. He was only in the store long enough to get his receipt.

He drove about a mile on the expressway and was puzzled by a strange sound coming from the back of the Jeep. He pulled over to take a look and found that someone had cut the canvas and removed three boxes of brass casings that he was bringing home for us to reload. As well as 5,000 new bullets. They were all 62gr 5.56 FMJ boat tail bullets and the boxes of brass were 3,000 top quality 5.56 NATO, 2,000 .223 brass, and 2,000 22-250.

My neighbor's brother owns a gun-shop/shooting-range near Joplin, MO and he had been saving the goodies for us for quite a while. We don't know how we'll ever replace this stuff now that ammo is so hard to get.

Bummer!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Didn't CCTV at the gas station capture the incident?

(PS- I know zilch about gun stuff but as a matter of interest why is ammo hard to get nowadays?)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ammo is hard to get because the president is the best gun salesman ever. People are buying it all!

Reactions: Irish

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's terrible about the stuff getting stolen too. Definitely make you wish you could catch them in the act.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Gas station are starting to atracted a lot of thevies. Sorry for your lost. I am not say this station was, but I know that from experience that some store clerks are in own it to. Now when it says come inside for receipt, I just leave without it check my card online. I am a firearms instructor for my second job and I tell everyone in my classes that the gas station is one of the hot spot for crime. Most are pumping gas and looking a the gas pump instead of their surroundings Going to the restroom and pickup snacks. Most are not really watching whats going on around them.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I just started locking my doors to the Van when running errands.

Convertible/canvas tops offer little protection for securing items. In fact the only protection is from the weather.

The bad thing now besides being out the supplies, is the bad guys may have ammo to take more stuff from good guys.

·
Registered
264 Posts
So sorry this happened to you. It is sad to think you cant even pay for your gas without being robbed nowdays. Contact the Gas station and get their camera footage. You may find your thief real fast.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Man that suxs big time. Sorry to hear about something like that. Hopefully you all can recover from it without too much of a set back.

Yeah if you own a soft top Jeep you just cant keep anything in it that you cant afford to loose. Its kind of like a Pick Up truck bed...anything you put in it is free for the taking by who ever walks by and wants it more than you do. As your Homie can now attest to, it only takes just a couple of seconds!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Call the local scrap yards I guarantee the brass will end up there!

Reactions: 9UC

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sorry to hear of the damage and ammo supply loss. I guess it's back to basics. Need to remember to remind the wife, as she does not carry and is not always aware of her surroundings, to make sure to lock the doors when going in to pay and to park and fill up on the row of pumps closes to the store entrance where she can keep an eye on the car and after paying, approach the car from an angle so she can see around or under the car to see if someone is hiding on the other side.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well that blows!! Sorry to hear that!!. . . For the future and something I have in my CJ7 (Because I too have had my soft top cut open. . . I have even had my soft doors and 2 sets of hard doors stolen that way (The WHOLE DOOR ))

But have your buddy look into Tuffy Locking center consoles and boxes they are a MUST for any soft top jeep!! Just a couple examples I know it doesnt help much now thats a huge loss!!

Tuffy Security Part tfy013-01 - Deluxe Stereo Security Console

And these are the toolbox/storage boxes

Tuffy - 029 - Jeep Universal Compact Security Lock Box on eBay!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss. Sounds like to me, and, it may just be my paranoid self, but as quick as it happened, I'd say the thieves new what they were after, and, had possibly been watching since the ammo and brass were picked up.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My neighbor contacted the gas station and they reviewed their security cams. Now get this! They did not even have video of him even being at the pump. At least that's what they say. We had discussed the possibility of the gas station attendant being in on the theft as soon as my neighbor got home. It would be a pretty good trick to have folks come in for their receipt and have another attendant outside to do the deed if there was only one person in the vehicle especially a ragtop.

We also have cussed and discussed the idea of reporting the theft to the authorities but we have decided that reporting that much in ammo supplies would call attention to our little group. Anonymity is more important (we think) than a load of almost-ammunition. But, dang, it hurts.

The lock box idea is pretty nice but my neighbor rarely uses the Jeep off of his farm as it is not a daily driver. He only decided to use it for that trip because he wanted to get it out on the highway and "blow the dust off of it" as he says. He uses it on the farm like someone would use an ATV. It's a real Raggity Ann.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Only thing worse than a liar is a thief. Sorry to hear that, but the poster is right about the scrap yards, I work with large amounts of copper, And also visit the scrap/recycle places in Alb. and it may be possible to find and buy back, Not sure how big the area is, and its crazy that my Dad lives in Joplin, Never been there.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Here is how you can catch them. It is how we deal with thieves and looters. First, walk in a line, and drop one piece of brass at a time, and then:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oooh piece of candy, Oooh piece of candy, Oooh piece of candy, GOTCHA. That works for intruders onto your property, too. We have used it on several occasions.

Here's an update on the theft. My neighbor called several folks in Joplin and one in Springfield who are in law enforcement. They discussed the situation "off the record" and the final consensus is to let a sleeping dog lie. By that I mean it might not be a good idea to call attention to the authorities that he was hauling 7,000 shell casings and a bunch of other ammo related supplies. Questions could arise. So we decided to lick our wounds and carry on like it never happened.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts