Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have to do some research, as I don't own a Glock but am intrigued at the idea of a 9mm AR and a Glock 9mm hi cap pistol as a one caliber carry. This seems quite ideal to me for an on foot bug out which has become a far less likely scenario for me. My permanent residence has changed to my BOP already but I still spend too much time in CA due to opportunties there and I have a residence there which is paid for and easy to stay in. All I've ever had to do is plan on getting from that point in CA to my home in NV and nothing more.

The idea of an AR and Glock using the same magazines in appealing. If its out there, an AR using Ruger P Series pistols I haven't seen it yet - though I haven't looked hard enough maybe. That would be a real winner for me since I have almsot all of the P series 9mms' (85/89/95) to my name and have always enjoyed using them. I also have lots of magazines for them, so if I could find an AR platform using those magazines and 9mm it might just be an ideal bug out package for me - one caliber, no long rang ability, but lets face it if I'm on foot or bicycle or horseback I am going to avoid conflict anyway; if its thrust upon me it would likely be close range anyhow. I dead hear of someone building an AR upper with a 45 ACP caliber and using 1911 magazines - that's intriguing as an option too.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I'd suggest a good look at getting a Beretta CX4 and either a 92FS or PX4 to go with it. They sell models that run the magazines off of either pistol. I've owned 2 and there excellent rifles and make a great combo with the pistols. I just dictate to a mindset now that if you're going to grab a rifle, grab one in a rifle caliber, but I do miss my CX4's. There extremely reliable, accurate, light and fun carbines to shoot. Congratulation's on finally getting out of Commifornia.

cx4storm beretta - semiautomatic carbine

Wall1_1024.jpg

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I'd suggest a good look at getting a Beretta CX4 and either a 92FS or PX4 to go with it. They sell models that run the magazines off of either pistol. I've owned 2 and there excellent rifles and make a great combo with the pistols. I just dictate to a mindset now that if you're going to grab a rifle, grab one in a rifle caliber, but I do miss my CX4's. There extremely reliable, accurate, light and fun carbines to shoot. Congratulation's on finally getting out of Commifornia.

cx4storm beretta - semiautomatic carbine

View attachment 2653
But my is that CX storm over price for a 9mm rifle. I looked at one because I have so many 92F mags around.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Kel Tec sub 2000 in 9mm and 40 cal., that use Glock, S&W, Berreta, and Sig magazines.
They fold for transport, storage. They are reliable and fun.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They go to the trouble to make it for a Smith, Sig, Glock, and Barretta but no P series 9 dang

Kel Tec sub 2000 in 9mm and 40 cal., that use Glock, S&W, Berreta, and Sig magazines.

·
Registered
168 Posts
+1 on the Sub2000. Not bad for the price. Compact and can be set up to accept a wide range of mags.:)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
But my is that CX storm over price for a 9mm rifle. I looked at one because I have so many 92F mags around.
Oh it's not as cheap as it used to be, but not much is. I know I paid $630 for my first one and $650 for my second but it came with lots of extras. There the best 9mm carbine out there in quality and design in my opinion right now. The Keltec is not the same quality by far and an AR is a throw off without the same ambidextrous features the CX4 has out of box. I very much prefer the controls on the CX4 and the handling is nicer too.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Oh it's not as cheap as it used to be, but not much is. I know I paid $630 for my first one and $650 for my second but it came with lots of extras. There the best 9mm carbine out there in quality and design in my opinion right now. The Keltec is not the same quality by far and an AR is a throw off without the same ambidextrous features the CX4 has out of box. I very much prefer the controls on the CX4 and the handling is nicer too.
For me the draw to any rifle of this type would be it using mags from a weapon I already have. The only real advantage to a 9mm rifle would be a little more range and better target acquisition. I doubt it would ever be a primary go to weapon . I could see some use in defense up close.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
For me the draw to any rifle of this type would be it using mags from a weapon I already have. The only real advantage to a 9mm rifle would be a little more range and better target acquisition. I doubt it would ever be a primary go to weapon . I could see some use in defense up close.
Which is what I used mine for. It was a inside and just outside the house gun. It does maneuver very well indoors and is shorter in overall length than an AR that's not an SBR because the length of the action and how far in the 16 inch barrel sits inside it. Inside though I can hit anything I want with my pistol and if I need a rifle to go outside with I want something in a rifle caliber. That where it became a less essential weapon option for me and why I let the two go, replaced by other guns.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
No madder how many 92F mags I had around I just could not see 800 for the CX storm good rifle it is 800 was a deal breaker for a 9mm rifle. I picked up another AR.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Why limit yourself with a 9mm rifle? Every aspect of having a rifle is lost with the 9mm round. Your rifle should outperform your pistol. If some one has a .308 and you have a 9mm carbine...you are screwed.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I like the idea of having the same caliber in a rifle and a pistol. I have that for both .357 Mag. and .44 Mag. I own a 9 mm pistol, but I personally just don't think much of the round, particularly for a BOB. I'd much rather carry a .45 pistol and a 30-06 or .223. I would feel very limited and vulnerable only having a 9mm. (Let the naysayers have at it!)

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I have always wondered what kind of accuracy and yardage you could achieve with a modified boltaction rifle to shoot 9mm? No magazines, use the feedtube design, with a good rifled barrel. 100 yards ? 200 yards? anything after that?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are very very (I mean rare) custom built lever 9mm's out there; I'd like one but I'm guessing 2k/5k and I'm not rich.

Meangreen I just want to carry one round, though there is not a lot of weight difference between 5.55mm and 9mm rounds. Stil the concept of having just one round to look after is appealing.

I have always wondered what kind of accuracy and yardage you could achieve with a modified boltaction rifle to shoot 9mm? No magazines, use the feedtube design, with a good rifled barrel. 100 yards ? 200 yards? anything after that?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
find an 0A 93 OlyArmsOA93Pistol.jpg takes ar 15 mags and shoots the 5.56mm and can be bought in a Cali configuration with a fixed mag

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I've never seen much point in the 9mm AR-type rifles. Yes, they are more accurate than a pistol, but they're still throwing a 9mm pistol cartridge down range. The whole point of having a rifle is to have a much farther reach and much greater penetration than you get with a pistol, so I never really understood the logic in any pistol cartridge carbine or rifle. If that is your concern, just get a Glock 17L - it's a wonderful pistol which is very accurate out to 50+ yards and you won't need to bother buying a rifle at all. :wink:
Yes and you can throw a stock on a Glock (NFA rules apply). There is also some great carbine kits for Glocks:

MechTech - Glock

FAB Defense KPOS (PDW) Pistol Rifle Platform for Glock and SIG

ect ect ect

Another problem to look at is with many pistol rounds, velocity is lost not gained from a rifle barrel. Many 9mm AR type carbines were abandoned by many manufactures because they are inherently unreliable. To start another debate, how about just carrying a shotgun? I know they're not Star Wars cool like the 9mm carbines and shotgun ammo is bulky but think about the versatility of different ammo and different barrels. Great for close end work, great for hunting, and range the same as a carbine using slugs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts