Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Keltec, Rorbaugh, Ruger, and Kahr all make such guns. The prices vary from $350 to $900, retail. The keltecs can be had for $200, in good used condition, from private buyers. with a good Kydex pocket holster, with Velcro to keep it in the pocket, and a "hand on gun" start, you really can "beat the drop" of a man having a pistol pointed at you. :) You have to know how to sidestep swiftly as you draw, but it can be learned rather easily, using AirSoft guns. It's not too hard to learn to toss up a couple of soda cans with your "weak-side" hand, with the gun hand in the pocket, draw and hit both cans in midair. Try that with any sort of concealed belt rig, and you will see how much faster the (discrete) hand in pocket start position really is! :)

The best factory load for such short barrels is CorBon's 100 gr PowRBall jhp, it gets well over 1300 fps in 3" barrels, so it will penetrate clothing and still have enough velocity to "flush out" the clothing debris from the hp cavity and still expand well in the man's chest. That load jumps around a bit in the 13 oz Keltec, but so do any other full power 9mm loads. At the sub 10 ft ranges that nearly all justifiable civilian shootings occur, tho, a skilled man can do fine with such a combo of load and gun. The plastic rig makes the "bulge" in your front pants pocket look exactly like that of a wallet.

For the price of a used glock (at a store) you can have a pair of used Keltec PF-9's, one to ccw and one to practice with. So the fouling and wear of practice does not fall upon the "duty" gun, you see.

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
I'll stick with my taurus sidearms. MilPro .45 ACP is light and compact. If I need something even smaller, I go with the TCP .380.
It's all designed for one thing - to help me find my way back to something bigger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
fnfalguy; The Shield is still in very short supply. I have my name on a list for one, and the dealer is telling me, possibly mid-December.

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
I agree I have 3, you missed the point. For a paperweight, it needs to be heavier.That's all Taurus are good for. I'm 0 for 4 on them in the last 3 years. YMMV
Sorry to hear that.
I hear the earlier TCPs were crap for reliability. None of mine have been anything but fantastic.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Many years ago I picked up a PPK size 9MM
It was a Detonics Pocket 9
Stainless steel and a great size 9 at the time.
I figured I found the perfect pocket pistol with plenty of power.
Then I fired it.
Oh it must be me dam it. I kept missing the target at seven yards.
The 20 pound trigger pull in DA was crap. The single action with the exadurated blow back action was no better.
I kept it too long because of stubborn heritage in my blood line.
After shooting , owning and packing a lot of different 9's I came to the conclusion that some are too small.
I setteled on the .40 Glock 27 for a compact palstic piece.
I can hit fine with it and it carries well too.
I also chose the Colt Stainles Combat Commander for a 45 carry.
Realistically after a lot of changes trades and money spent I finally went to the wheel gun.
Main carry 686 3 inch Smith and Wesson .357 in a Simply Rugged holster.
Secondary 640 hammerless in pocket or Bianchi R9 shoulder rig.
Reasons being no excessive training for FTF or FTE auto stoppages. No looking for brass on the ground and 100 % reliable with any round I stuff in it. From shot shell up to 158 gr FBI lead HP.
The 686 holds 7 the 640 five.
If you need more than this you are SOL anyhow. Should be ducking and running like heck.
So , pocket 9 ? Nice idea and a seven yard gun in most hands.
Choose wisely and practice. If it dosen't work change it, I did.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anyone have experience with the Diamondback DB9? The thing is about as small as my wife's 380.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
50-50 chance of getting one that runs from the factory the first time around.

The M&P9C shoots wonderful, takes hi cap double stack mags and can be carried in your big cargo pocket pants.

Carry it with the flush map, reload with a M&PFull Size mag.

This comes from a G-Lock fanboy.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Glock 26

·
Registered
13 Posts
My EDC is a XDm 3.8 Compact 9mm. I carry this IWB with the flush mag (13 rounds) and carry the 19 round on my weak side. I shoot this gun very well and it is much more accurate then I am. It is solid and built very well and has ran through many rounds (about 5k) with out a single issue.

However when it comes to a SHTF gun I choose Glock (have both 19 & 26). I choose Glock because: 1) Many Glocks around (should you need parts) 2) Parts can be purchased prior very cheaply (I spent $120 and have everything to replace all internals except barrels, for both of them) 3) Very simple in design 4) Very easy to replace parts with minimal tools (1 small screwdriver). 5) Tolerance is loose enough that they run and run and run and are still accurate.

lol sorry a little of topic :wink: For a pocket 9 I choose a G26 :cool:

IMHO (after owning 2 PF9's) are a little too snappy for me to get quick follow up shots, also not a lot of fun to go shoot 100s of rounds through at the range and I feel this is a important step in a carry gun.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Anyone have experience with the Diamondback DB9? The thing is about as small as my wife's 380.
My son gave me a DB9. Between the two of us we've shot about 500 rounds of WWB with no issues. I've read some reviews that are not favorable but my experience has been good. DiamondBack advices not to use any ammo over 125 and definitely no +P.
The only negative, for me, it has no means of locking the slide back after the last round. The DB9 is very small and manageable.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts