Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I are new to the idea of prepping, but it has been a fun hobby to dabble in. Slowly we're building BOBs, but we don't have a lot of money to put into it (yet).

In the mean time, I wanted to give my gf something homemade on top of all the materialistic stuff this year, and I thought it would be fun and proactive to make her a personalized survival guide. When the SHTF I know knowledge will be crucial to survival, and I see no downside in collecting it all in one convenient, personalized binder. I want to make it extensive and fun and useful and entertaining. It's a tall order, but I think with your help I can make it pretty decent.

So far, this is what I plan on including:
  • First Aid (she's a nursing student, but can't hurt)
  • Detailed maps of the area. Including potential meetup locations and other POIs
  • Basic survival techniques for both bugging in and bugging out
  • Firearm maintenance manual
  • Passive communication key (nonverbal/verbal communication)

Any ideas on what else to include? How to put it all together?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thank you, I love the idea and I think I will make one for myself and possibly another friend or two I am trying to get into prepping. First you need to understand that once you are into it, it is a lifestyle more so than hobby.

Things I would add to a Binder of Prepper information....
1. Water sources, collection, purification, storage
2. Long term High Shelf Life foods be it canned boxed or canned
3. Maps of the local area and that of the North East South and West areas ( that would go the same for any area that you plan to bug out to... if you plan to travel somewhere to bug out, have a map to and from and then of the North South East and West of that for at least 10 miles.) Just me....
4. State Information ( Edible plants, toxic plants, venous or dangerous animals such as snakes lizards insects )
5. Hunting Seasons both Small and large game as well as Fishing and water fowl.
6. Laws and regulations of township city county state. (Naturally pertaining to anything you plan to do such as storage of Gasoline or chickens or whatever)
7. A written go to guide describing movements and rest stops basically way points if traveling. (goes along with the map one)
8. Contingency plan AKA backup plan
9. Contingency plan for the Contingency plan
10. Shelter building and how to properly use what you have.

That's just ten quick things. Also on the subject that you and your GF are making bug out bags... thats fine and dandy but make sure you USE what you have... make sure the items you by are of good quality not necessarily the most expensive but if you buy something use it to see what it's strengths and weaknesses are...

Oh and learn mechanics ASAP...

Any more questions feel free to mail me or post on here and I am sure others will help.. I will check in on this again...

Take care and God bless.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Welcome from the South East (SC).
An excellent idea! I have 3-ring binders all over the place with printouts of stuff I've found that I compiled a lot cheaper than buying the book from someone who did the same, just sooner than me.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hiyas and Welcome to the forums!!

I would recommend looking up local eatable plants and plants that are useful for medical use local wildlife and see what is useful for food at time of years.. also look at roads and exit routes on Google see which would be less traveled and easy for your family to bug out safely also take the time recon your county and see where there are some nice quiet places to bug out to... Natural ways how to obtain the 5 essentials for survival.. Food water shelter fire and security.. Just my few thoughts hope it helps...

·
Administrator
15,106 Posts
Welcome from Florida

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Welcome from Southern Minnesota. Glad you found us. I like your present idea a lot. I went and bought books, but if I had known about this site first, I'd have done what you are doing. Good luck. I'm sure GF will love it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts