Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a few things that I am starting to feel like I have went over board on. The first is food. I think I have gone a bit over board and am concerned there will be a time where we need to give a bunch away before it goes bad. The second item is discussed a lot on this forum. I will not state what it is.

What have you went a little to far with?

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
There are a few things that I am starting to feel like I have went over board on. The first is food. I think I have gone a bit over board and am concerned there will be a time where we need to give a bunch away before it goes bad. The second item is discussed a lot on this forum. I will not state what it is.

What have you went a little to far with?
If you need help with the 2nd part, I will be glad to assist. :D

As to the food, we stock what we normally use and just cycle through it. I do have some canned long term stuff and have recently decided to get into really long term storage. The bulk items will be broken down into smaller packages to make it easier to access and some will be for trade and charity. I won't let children starve if I can help it but I won't be adopting them or their families.

I can't really say I have too much of anything right now. It took me a long time to learn and I use to stock stuff that was strictly for prepping. I had to throw away a lot of really expired food. If you do this before they expire, the local food bank would be grateful.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My worst area of excess has to be bug out gear. The only saving grace is I'm now all up to date on recreational camping gear and I have no excuse not to hike.

I do sometimes wonder if I don't have too may flavors of certain things, but much of the bunch has been with me awhile.

Reactions: Renec

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
My excess is fruit trees/food plants. Just shelled out $35 for another mandarin, and 2 more passion fruit vines hopefully. I'll see what he brings Monday.

I feel like I've spent way way too much money on trees. I guess because they are all still fairly young and haven't produced much of anything yet. They've produced, but not a LOT. So I feel jipped for the time being.

Maybe next season they'll produce a lot. They'll be 2-3 years old.

I really don't have much else. Drinking water, I've been trying to keep about 4 weeks drinking water and about a months worth of food.

But my weakness IS plants haha. I guess I just want to grow food. Be independent of the supermarket. So I splurge on food plants. I go to another nursery besides my friends, and I stick out like a sore thumb. Scruffy hair, beard, dirt covered clothes from messing in the yard. Meanwhile the nursery is full of dainty lil ole ladies, prim and proper haha. Which reminds me, I need to go tomorrow and have a gander

·
Registered
904 Posts
I don't feel like I have too much of anything. I am still trying to build up my inventories of food, water, medical, ammo, first aid etc..

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Definitely too much soap and shampoo. I travel so much for work, I always lift the soaps and shampoos they put in the hotel rooms and bring them home. (I paid for them right?) We have 10 of the big plastic storage bins full and have the 11th about 3/4 full. The world may be in flames, but Mrs Inor and I will always have silky soft hair.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I have a confession to make.

I am doing REALLY well in this depression

I mean Really really well

but I don't give to my local food bank

Instead I continue to stockpile as I see food banks as an extension of the nanny state

But when people really really do need food, shelter and so forth, that is when I will break out my supplies and feed the masses

It will probably kill me in the end, but first I look forward to the end and 2nd, I think that is what Jesus would want me to do.

Those that don't fear death are destined to avoid it. (unknown author, could be me)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The soap thing got us too. We bought a couple of different times suave strawberry essence shampoo for 88 cents and a buck a bottle. Pretty hard to pass up smelling like strawberries in hard times.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
The soap thing got us too. We bought a couple of different times suave strawberry essence shampoo for 88 cents and a buck a bottle. Pretty hard to pass up smelling like strawberries in hard times.
Who knows what the future holds? Maybe in a post-SHTF world, smelling like strawberries will be a sign of royalty...

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yeah I'm overboard on 1911's and P Series Rugers, but I just like them all and will continue to collect.
Nah. You can't have too many guns. ::rambo::

Reactions: Reptilicus

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update.
It took me a little fiddling to find this thread.
I stopped buying caned goods when I made this post.
We have since paid off the truck loan. Yeah.
So me and the wife sat down and figured out the bills this morning. And we had some extra money.
Truthfully consuming the food storage over the past five months has gotten me very concerened. So we went to the store and brought home a couple hundred cans of stuff and lab led and put it away. We are back up over six hundred cans of food. We made a bunch of meals out of the stuff we had in the storage dak ham veggie and fruit. Some times with mash potatoes. Rice mushrooms and chicken. It ain't to bad. Of course over the last few months we ate out and bought groceries as well. I am not trying to say we ate only preps. But it makes you understand how far it will go. God bless you all in your preps. Use little as an exercise in measured consumption. It was a good run. With the Russia thing going and the drought in Comufornia. We are putting it away again.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Great job. We around here are planning for a trial run this summer. I want to find out how much of our stocks we will actually use and things that I may be forgetting. I plan on no purchases for an entire month for 12 of us. gunna be fun!

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Update.
It took me a little fiddling to find this thread.
I stopped buying caned goods when I made this post.
We have since paid off the truck loan. Yeah.
So me and the wife sat down and figured out the bills this morning. And we had some extra money.
Truthfully consuming the food storage over the past five months has gotten me very concerened. So we went to the store and brought home a couple hundred cans of stuff and lab led and put it away. We are back up over six hundred cans of food. We made a bunch of meals out of the stuff we had in the storage dak ham veggie and fruit. Some times with mash potatoes. Rice mushrooms and chicken. It ain't to bad. Of course over the last few months we ate out and bought groceries as well. I am not trying to say we ate only preps. But it makes you understand how far it will go. God bless you all in your preps. Use little as an exercise in measured consumption. It was a good run. With the Russia thing going and the drought in Comufornia. We are putting it away again.
Its better than money in the bank, might have to get a little creative, but always having food is a good feeling. May not be steak and potato, but you can survive.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Guns and ammo don't go bad. They are also a good financial investment, since you can almost always sell them for more than you paid.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
We have been thinking about doing a 2 week trial run of using nothing but a cross section of the food stores just to see how viable it is for variety and to expand on recipe ideas. It's also good to find the holes in the plan.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
As for food to use up older inventory as you go. I though one time I had gone over board on weapons and ammo, but I woke up and found I was wrong.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts