Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

A knock at your door

10K views 45 replies 32 participants last post by  KellyDude 
#1 · (Edited)
I spend a lot of time thinking how I would handle this situation.

-There has been a catastrophic event - Solar EMP, Nuclear, Biological, Meteor, or War. No power, no heat, and water. Walmart is wiped out.

-People are looking for food and water. You get a knock at your front door. Do you answer? (If you don't, they will assume the place is abandoned, and will enter)

-You open the door - what do you say?

Hello?
What do you want?
How can I help you?
Piss off?
Do you just shoot?

You know what they want - what they need. They are hungry. Their family is starving. They seem nice. They beg and plead. Do you give out food and water. ( have you ever feed a stray cat? they don't leave )

-How would you humanly handle this situation?

Send them away?
Feed them?
Put them to work to earn their way?
Ignore them?
Bargain?
Kill them?

I try to do what I can to help my neighbors. In the Army, I was taught that God comes first, then family, and lastly work. But I must protect my family first. God gave me this family, and He put me in charge of them. I will protect my family in a manner that respects God. When I know they are safe, I will do what I can for my neighbors. But I will not allow myself to jeopardize what He has placed me in charge of. If I have extra food, water, and money I will give it. If my family is in danger, I will take.

See less See more
#3 ·
I know every situation presents a different outcome.

How do you mentally prepare, and physically stock up for "visitors" ? If it is winter time, you could have them cut fire wood in exchange for food. In the summer they could maintain the garden, your traps, or your water supply in exchange for supplies. ( But now they know what you have - where you have it - they don't need you - they can take what they want - and more).

Short leash. Keep it simple and productive. Cleaning game, chopping wood (all season), and hauling (mule work). Don't expose your strengths and always protect your weakness.

"It is much safer to be feared than loved because ...love is preserved by the link of obligation which, owing to the baseness of men, is broken at every opportunity for their advantage; but fear preserves you by a dread of punishment which never fails."

― Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince - year 1513

#15 · (Edited)
..How do you mentally prepare, and physically stock up for "visitors" ?...
That's easy! If you NEED them AND can feed them, let them stick around-

"You need us, we need you"!

But if you don't need them or can't feed them them tell them "Sorry, our group can only just manage to feed itself and we can't take on anybody else, try the Walton's farm down the road".
If they refuse to go, shoot 'em and feed 'em to your hogs.
In a survival situation you sure as hell can't carry passengers or you'll starve!

#5 ·
...You get a knock at your front door. Do you answer? (If you don't, they will assume the place is abandoned, and will enter)...
I never answer my door to anybody, never have, never will unless I know exactly who they are and if I want them in.
Once my doorbell was ringing on and off for a full 15 minutes but I was on the computer and couldn't be bothered to answer, why should I? It eventually stopped and they went away.
It turned out it was my sister and niece making a surprise visit but I don't care, they should have let me know in advance they were coming.
As for bad guys possibly busting in if you don't answer, no problem, just shoot the motherf*ckers dead, that's what guns are for aren't they, or have you all gone soft? ha ha..:)

#6 ·
If I read the case you laid out right ,someone already screwed up . They would not get the close to the door.
Anyone coming near the property would be challenged a lot sooner than that. That is why we prepare.
Once any event causes SHTF mode to go into effect this area gets locked down.
If we can extend help to others we will, but it will take place well outside our living areas.

#7 ·
They would been warned by the sign that clearly states:

"Invited? Welcome!
Uninvited? Start Running!"

Reactions: KUSA
#8 ·
Good girl in this news item, but next time hide behind the settee then stand up when he comes in and give him the full clip into his chest and head BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG..:)

Okla. Girl, 12, Shoots Intruder During Home Burglary
"Kendra had taken shelter in a closet, clutching her mother's .40 caliber glock gun while she listened to the intruder make his way around her home.
Her fear intensified to sheer terror, when she saw the knob of the closet door beginning to turn.
At that point, that for the first time in her life, Kendra fired a gun.
Police said the bullet traveled straight through the closet door and struck 32-year-old Stacey Jones in the shoulder, scaring him out of the house"

Okla. Girl, 12, Shoots Intruder During Home Burglary - Yahoo! News

#9 ·
Every ones home, situation, and location is differant, for me and my house hold, I have a maintainable perimiter, and the ability to monitor incoming trafic coming up the drive for close to a half mile, I do not normally, (special considerations make exceptions) intend for unwanted persons to come in close proximity with out being acknowledged. Once they are on the front poarch it is a differant story, One will have to make quick rational judgement on their intent.

I do not knormally intend to over react and begin firing randomly, know matter how bad the outling situation is, or is perceived to be.

A distressed 25 year old brunette woman with a thick ass and big titties will be treated differantly than a skevue wounded male weilding a weapon, making verbal demands.

#11 ·
A distressed 25 year old brunette woman with a thick ass and big titties will be treated differantly than a skevue wounded male weilding a weapon, making verbal demands.
As my wife says "men are so easily fooled." ;-)

#10 ·
well this is my take on it, in a true catastrophic event and it gets to the point where people are going door to door to beg for food you should have a good enough perimeter where they should not even make it to the front door. If you are vulnerable enough for them to get the close I would think you have other things to worry about.

#16 ·
How many on here have said gold and silver aren't worth anything, but you find out during a horrible time you are wrong? An able bodied Marine arrives at your door. His wife and young child in tow, offering 3 ounces of silver and 12 hours of hard labor or guard duty just for some water and a meal? You know that "guy" down the street wants 10 pieces of silver for a case of 00 buck that would make you feel better and be worth a fortune with your extra shot guns. After a day, the Marine and his family prove trust worthy, helpful, and if you had an extra shotgun and some ammo he'd go back to where he hid an ounce of gold. You demand 7 more pieces of silver too and agree to feed them 3 more days. He agrees. The Marine and has family live in a tent in the back yard, now you don't have to worry about your rear flank. You are up an ounce of gold and 200 rounds of 00 buck, out an old shotgun and have an able bodied assistant to help you at most anytime.

Because you answered the knock at the door.

#18 ·
In a true SHTF situation and I don't know them, they ain't getting in and they ain't gettin' me stuff. If I know them and don't trust them they ain't gettin' in and ain't gettin' me stuff. I'll be arming one close friend(he is well preppared and capable) and his wife( for reasons I won't dicuss in public), and allying with a a local LEO and his family(Very well preppared and very capable), my daughter and her hubby(caspable)and my grandson are welcome as is the mother in law. Other than that it will be as needed situation. It depends on how fluid the situation is to what adjustments we'll make.

#19 · (Edited)
Speaking of unwanted visitors, this guy in a Twilight Zone episode called 'The Shelter' broke the KEEP IT TO YOURSELF prepping rule and blabbed to his neighbours that he was a prepper and that he'd got a cellar-bunker. Bad call..

1- A happy neighbourhood birthday party, what could possibly go wrong?
2- Radio announcer- "Incoming enemy missiles. get in your shelters!"
3- "Lemme in, I'm your mate"......."F*ck off!"
4- "None of us have got a shelter, let's bust into his!"
5- Radio announcer-"False alarm"
6- "Get out of my house you motherf*ckers!"

#20 ·
Hmm, I don't let strangers in, during good times. I have a fair amount of land around me, and a barking dog. No one would get too close. Would I throw some one a bag of beans and rice, probably. I'm not heartless, but I'm cynical. It would be best if they moved on. If it was a pandemic, they would not get anywhere near. You would be a fool to expose yourself.

#21 ·
Question you have to ask is why are they knocking? They have to know or assume a certain amount of risk that the people in side need more than they do and that they may be pulled in, raped, beaten, pillaged and killed. Knowing that they either have one awesome Plan "B" or they trust you for some reason.

#23 ·
I would just surprise them by coming around the side of the house and order all hands where I can see them. First one who didn't comply with a smile goes down. IF his buddies are still in a fighting mood they are already screwed.

This post has been deleted
#26 ·
No place to hide around my house in Marietta, woods all around at our home in the N GA mountains, but relatively secluded.
When ever I answer the door, I'm armed.
In a SHTF scenario, I'll come up the side of the house or behind them from the garage.
If I know them and they are considered friends, I'll ask them what they want.
If I do not know them, I've already considered them a potential enemy, and they best leave.

#30 ·
As much as I'd like to send them away with "I told you so..." if they have kids I'd be forced to help where I could. Yep, I'm the sucker that buys the Girl Scout cookies that we don't want EVERY FREAKIN TIME! Then when I'm not looking they hit my wife up & sell them to her too. Our friends vanish when it's cookie season, they are tired of us pushing off truckloads of free cookies on them. Bottom line is I've always found a way to survive. Kids may not and really... who is more important?

#31 ·
Your'e right, as a parent it would be hard to turn away children. My home seems to spawn these creatures, open the front door and find a new one every few days as it is. lol So I would have a hard time turning away any child at any age. I have two and don't want to see any child hurt anymore than I would want mine to. I would do what I could...stressing that it's all I could do.. But you have to think about that as well, someone would lower themselves in a SHTF situation and use their children as a ways and means...to destroy you.

With that said, whether I let anyone in the door or not would depend on if I knew them, and if then they messed with my family, I'd just slit their throats and watch the dust roll out. You don't mess with my family..period!

#32 ·
Have always had a soft spot for hungry kids. When in RVN generally gave half my rations to the kids who hung around to various posts I had. Had to start looking at my heart when I got played for the sucker when a lady pan handling and using her little girl as bait scammed me for a donation. Didn't pick up on it until much later when I saw her catching another guy at a location across town and then hitting me up again using same crying tears running down the face routine. One born every day, that was just my day.

#33 ·
As liberal as I have been called in this forum - I would not help them at all. There is a finite amount of food/water in my house and property. However I would point them to the woods up the street that has an abundance of deer/small game and a creek. They are welcome to put up shelter there and hunt/fish to support themselves. When I am out foraging or whatever, they are welcome to barter with me. I would not be aggressive with them, but firm

#34 ·
I agree that if the situation has turned to that, they should have never gotten to the door. I or someone else should have challenged them way before hand with a regular watch set. That situation and with the time passed, a discussion with the people in my area of how to handle wandering beggars should have already occured. If it's someone I know than it depends on who and how I'd help them. Family is blood kin and my few close friends I look at as close to family. I'm very picky about my friends too and who I consider them to be which is why I'm not one of the people here looking to form or join any group. I have people I know from work and play, but that doesn't make them friends, just acquaintances. When someone comes they'll be met by someone here armed and careful. If they don't want to go away peacefully when turned down than that's their choice, but I won't be nice about it.

#35 ·
Self defense is often unavoidable but... we have time to prepare so it makes sense to add to the pile just in case. I'd rather spend a few dollars now than take a life later. If I let a kid get hurt or go hungry there isn't much point in sticking around anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.