Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im looking for a good quality survival knife and machete thats not too expensive and that would be good for such things as working with wood (splitting wood,feather sticks,etc) and other things such as cutting

im not looking for anything cheap ,but i dont want to pay too much, 50-150 $ tops

Thanks !

·
Registered
559 Posts
I like my Schrade SCHF9. It's a lot of knife for the price, well... for any price. Decent sheath too.

View attachment 2761
How long have you had your schrade? I've been thinking about picking one up just to see how good they really are. This one and This one are the two I was looking at the most .

Anyway the knife of mine that sees more use than all the others (even though some cost more than 2x...) is my tops anaconda. Designed by Ron Hood and Topps knives are first rate.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The sheath is really weak, but the machete is pretty awesome. Takes a very sharp edge, and holds it through a fair amount of chopping. And for the price... Buy FOUR!

Great handle! Very good blade, and the saw on the back of the blade actually works well. Makes it a little hard getting in and out of the sheath though.
18" Machete with Serrated Blade

·
Registered
938 Posts

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
Cold steel makes an almost indestructible machete for right at $20. Like all machettes you do have to work abit at keeping it sharp but the wife's tried to kill my two and they're still going strong after three years of her chopping everything from shrubs to root balls

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The sheath is really weak, but the machete is pretty awesome. Takes a very sharp edge, and holds it through a fair amount of chopping. And for the price... Buy FOUR!

Great handle! Very good blade, and the saw on the back of the blade actually works well. Makes it a little hard getting in and out of the sheath though.
18" Machete with Serrated Blade
I have one of those myself, I think it was under $3 with the coupon I had for it. A machete doesn't need to be real hard steel anyway because if it is hard and you hit a rock/T-post, etc. a hard blade will break/chip.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Like Sarge said; Cold Steel.

·
Registered
559 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Ok, that Barkie looks amazing. I wonder where I can sore one in S35V - found the A2 ~$220 and the 3V ~$240 but I want S35V... :-D AND most barkies come with a convex edge, makes a HUGE difference out in the field over most factory grinds.
I haven't seen one in the CPMS35VN yet. Those seem like pretty stiff prices though. I know KnifeWorks who've I've done good business with has two in A2 for far less. I'll take in one in any of the steels as all are premium, but I want a black micarta handle and I'll have to have a custom sheath made being a lefty.

Bark River Bravo 1.5, Green Canvas Micarta, w/ Brown Leather Sheath

Bark River Bravo 1.5, Natural Canvas Micarta, w/ Brown Leather Sheath

·
Registered
855 Posts
That Estwing Camp axe is a great axe we had one when I was doing a lot of camping in my younger days. Not sure what happened to it but it was damn near indestructible, Estwing makes top quality products, it's about the only hammer I'll buy anymore. As for a knife, I think you could do a whole lot worse than the Kabar USMC fighting knife. So there ya go $90 invested+ shipping and you can still pick up the Cold Steel Machete if you think you need it and still be under your price range max.

-Infidel

1 - 20 of 20 Posts