Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,731 Posts
We had a topic on this about three weeks ago. Some pretty good suggestions were given.
I ended up employing some of them while getting our AC fixed.

Speaking of odd hot weather, did I see right that Seattle saw 112 degrees???

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had a topic on this about a week back or so. Some pretty good suggestions were given.

Yea its insane seattle getting torched!!

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
What suggestions do you have for staying cool ?

Well, I'm cool enough, thank you! Everything is soaking wet, and when I went out to fire up the truck and get the newspaper, it rained all over me--thin wisps, so thin that you have to be around the background of trees just to see the rain--which is frankly mostly moisture.

Personally, I think the gloomy mornings are what is getting to me. I know the sun is up there, a huge span of thick clouds is brighter than the rest of murky panorama. Eh, I went to the gym anyway--they have lights!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What suggestions do you have for staying cool ?

Well, I'm cool enough, thank you! Everything is soaking wet, and when I went out to fire up the truck and get the newspaper, it rained all over me--thin wisps, so thin that you have to be around the background of trees just to see the rain--which is frankly mostly moisture.

Personally, I think the gloomy mornings are what is getting to me. I know the sun is up there, a huge span of thick clouds is brighter than the rest of murky panorama. Eh, I went to the gym anyway--they have lights!
i was at the gym too it was hoooot

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
We had a topic on this about three weeks ago. Some pretty good suggestions were given.

Yep, we had triple digit weather 3 days in a row.......in June. That's the weirdest part of it. Most of the time our heat of summer hits mid to late August. We've had triples before, but not 3 days straight and definitely not this early. I don't know how some of you that are used to this can stand it.

AC is in some homes, but most here don't have it, never really needed it for just a few days at a time in a year. I don't, but did pick up a couple extra fans. The last week I've been doing all those suggestions and I will say the inside of the house was kept a few degrees cooler than outside.....until around 6 or 7pm with the sun hitting square on the front of the house. Shade on that side doesn't kick in until around 9. then open all doors & windows, set fans, hose it down and hope for the best. I think the inside managed to stay at or below 100

Now I'm worried about the house fridge and my canned goods. Fridge hasn't been as cold as it should and I am hoping it will right itself as the temps cool or I'll be getting a new one. I'm going to be so pissed & devastated if my canned goods fail.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, we had triple digit weather 3 days in a row.......in June. That's the weirdest part of it. Most of the time our heat of summer hits mid to late August. We've had triples before, but not 3 days straight and definitely not this early. I don't know how some of you that are used to this can stand it.

AC is in some homes, but most here don't have it, never really needed it for just a few days at a time in a year. I don't, but did pick up a couple extra fans. The last week I've been doing all those suggestions and I will say the inside of the house was kept a few degrees cooler than outside.....until around 6 or 7pm with the sun hitting square on the front of the house. Shade on that side doesn't kick in until around 9. then open all doors & windows, set fans, hose it down and hope for the best. I think the inside managed to stay at or below 100

Now I'm worried about the house fridge and my canned goods. Fridge hasn't been as cold as it should and I am hoping it will right itself as the temps cool or I'll be getting a new one. I'm going to be so pissed & devastated if my canned goods fail.
oh geez... stay safe and do the best you can do.. God Speed

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
Let me help y'all with some edumacational stuffs;

In North America the months of June, July, August and September are hot. Its been happening that way for as long as recorded history.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I find this thread a surprise to me. It is something I have been thinking about for the last year. In the south where I live we have a high water table so no root cellar is possible. I spent some of last year and most of this year gathering left over or damaged foam board from construction sites. I have used it to add about three inch of extra insulation to the exterior walls of one room in my house, window included. I have most of two other walls covered to about two inches of insulation. I changed out the door with one that I picked up at Lowe's that had a few dents in it for about $40.00 U.S. that was insulated for exterior use. I plan to continue until I have four or five inches of insulation on all four walls and whatever I can get to work on the door. Naturally generated heat and cold from mother nature should be blocked out in the future. Today I took a reading from the other rooms and compared to the insulated room, I discovered an eighteen degree drop in temperature in my new in house root cellar.

Second problem is how to cool it to an even lower temperature. So far I haven't spent anything other than a little fuel in my pickup and a box of screws I had laying around the house from other projects through the years. I have three box fan that I purchased a couple of years back when my A/C went out and was waiting for the repair man to replace it. I found some old half inch copper tubing at a construction site that I was told I could have. I have some half inch pex tubing I had purchased to make a solar water heater out of with crimp fitting and crimper. The camper I bartered for had an extra 12V water pump that came with it from the pervious owners with three eight's fittings. So, still no real cost to me, so far.

Here is where I need to spend my money. It could run me between $600.00 and $1,000.00 to complete this part but could be worth it's weight in gold if it works. Plus, I could have a cool place to sleep if SHTF and I/we loose electricity. Items needed: small bar style frig (three cubic feet or so should do), five gallon bucket, connections between copper tubing & Pex tubing & pump, 400 to 600 watt solar generation kit (panels, charge controller, inverter and batteries), dimmer switch and tube of silicone.

Instructions: fill copper tubing with dry sand until completely full and coil into flat spiral with gaps between coils for air passage. Do this on a flat surface such as plywood or a concrete driveway. Filling with sand will keep the tubing from kinking during coiling process. Coil some of the Pex tubing inside a five gallon bucket making sure not to kink the tubing and supplying stand-offs so bucket and tubing do no touch. Drill holes in the side or top of the frig large enough for the Pex tubing to pass through and have enough room for scrap rubber or foam pipe insulation to fit to protect tubing from being cut. Rubber and /or foam can be substituted with silicone sealant. Connect Pex tubing to one end of copper tubing. The other end should be fitted with connections for the 12V water pump. Between the pump and the other end of the copper tubing should have some kind of tank for filling and monitoring liquid in lines. Pump suction should come off the tank and fill the Pex tubing from the bottom to the top to assist with air evacuation. Copper tubing should be filled while tubing is laying flat on a level surface. When all air has been removed from the lines, rotate the copper tubing coil upright and attach to the front of the 20 inch box fan. Install the solar array as directed by the manufactures instruction. Plug the frig into the inverter and set to lowest setting that can be made without freezing water in the bucket. Connect the 12V pump to the batteries and install the dimmer switch. Adjust the dimmer switch to slow the pump speed to as lower as possible and still keep the pump working. Turn the fan on to the lowest setting and allow one hour to cool the room.

Like I said, this hasn't been built and tested yet but is an idea I have thought of after viewing several videos and reading discussions on a DIY off grid A/C unit. The foam added to the walls in the room is a work in progress and has shown to have an 18 degree Fahrenheit drop in temperature with adjoining rooms. All three rooms have one wall on the outside wall and the other three walls are against the inside of the house. Direct sunlight only hits the outside wall for about four hours each day. Also remember, hot air rises and cool air drops to the lowest area. Mounting everything as high as possible will allow cooled air to drop through the room which will assist in cooling. Think about your ceiling fan blowing air down during the summer and reversing for winter use. Keeping the cool air moving across the ceiling and down the walls will heat your home faster and more efficient than not moving air at all or pulling warm air down through cool air.

Let me know what you think of my indoor root cellar idea. My goal is to drop the temp down below 65 degrees Fahrenheit which should be low enough to protect my self canned vegetables. If I can get it to a lower temp I may be able to store other items that need the lower temp to preserve them and keep from rotting. Ideal temp would be 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Something I left out, this is an idea for an A/C in one room that I have been trying to adapt for my root cellar. One could swap a freezer for the frig and glycol or automotive anti-freeze for the fluid in the lines to get a cooler temp so the water in the bucket could freeze without causing problems. The A/C unit idea could make it easier for SHTF times for a cooler place to sleep. I offered this as a way to protect my canned goods but could just as easily be built to offer a comfortable sleep/ cool down area in times of need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts