Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hunt grouse every year.
I dont like using a shotgun because I dont like picking crap out of my dinner.
So far I use a .22 and its hit or miss lol :p
Ive noticed that grouse are nearly bullet proof. In the past ive put more than several .22 into a grouse before it even slowed it down. So my though was perhaps a .223 but I cant afford a new rifle atm.
I once heard a brief mention that 7.62x39 is ideal for grouse. But nothing more on that.
Non corrosive ammo would be good, or will this caliber destroy the bird ?
Im thinking my sks with a scout scope or open sights.
Also tips on finding these damn critters lol im told my area is crawling with them but I find one or two a day if that.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
You want to hunt birds the size of a small chicken with a rifle capable of killing deer? Don't know about Canada but down here you can't hunt game birds with anything other than bird shot (no buckshot or rifles).

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
Ive noticed that grouse are nearly bullet proof. In the past ive put more than several .22 into a grouse before it even slowed it down. So my though was perhaps a .223 but I cant afford a new rifle atm.
I once heard a brief mention that 7.62x39 is ideal for grouse. But nothing more on that.
Also tips on finding these damn critters lol im told my area is crawling with them but I find one or two a day if that.
You still have time to totally change your post before the others see it.

Looking after my boy BlackCat! :encouragement:

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
(Second Response)

Yes, its perfectly fine to shoot grouse, or any other small bird with 7.62x39...as long as a muslime is holding said grouse or other small bird. .50bmg also works fine in that situation.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Blackcat, if you can't be successful on Grouse (As they drum log's to announce thier presence) I must admit that Ya'll should use Elephant rifles on Misquotes. I've eaten more grouse waylay-ed with a hand thrown rock than taken with Birdshot from a 410,16,or 20 Guage. My Grouse Suggestion is a 4 OZ rock, a pine stick of 16 inches or more, and the pocket knife of Ya'lls choice. JMHO.

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
If you hit a ruffed grouse in the wild with a 7.62x39 in PA you may get feathers and skin to eat. A shotgun is an instinctive weapon to be used quickly. A rifle not so much. Your way more likely to miss or hit something unintended Blackcat. Just thinking of my time out in the thick viney stuff they like to hang in and spring up with a God awful noise when your about to step on them. Gone in the blink of an eye.

Reactions: Blackcat and Seneca

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Come on, 18 inches of 410 is more than enough for grouse zigzaging through the pine stands. Put it on them while they are drumming the timber, a stick or rock is more than enough.If Ya'll are good enough you can ring their necks before the wingbeats end.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
.22 is legal here no worries. Lots of folks hunt grouse with them. But yes gone in the blink of an eye is what I find.
I cant see them on the ground the grass is too tall. They take flight and I figure 2-3 seconds and they are gone into the thick brush.
My only luck has been when they are in the open and thats by chance. In which case no problem getting them.
Im told by locals a .22 is fine but id rather have something a little more effective.
I have a 12 guage remington with 28" vent rib... Would that work ?
Again... Unless im starving I really hate crap from a shotgun in my game. Is it even possible to shoot game birds and not have them full of shot ?

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
As a child my Grandfather shoot Canadian Geese on the Mississippi during November with a 22 Short, I swam out and retrieved them. We ate good. When I grew to be a Man I had to hunt those same geese with Steel shot and a 12 Gauge by Law, and Fido hit the River to Fetch them home. It became a delicacy. Grandpa accused me of wasting money using a 12 Gauge shell on a GOOSE. I have no reasonable argument that I was ever able to engage with my Grandfather. Now what reason do you have to hunt Grouse with anything other than a rock or stick?

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
I would recommend something smaller, lighter. I have used my Dad's 20 gauge Parker s x s. Great grouse gun. Quick handling, instinctive. Dad was way better at it than I ever was. Then again he survived fighting the Japanese as a Marine in the Solomon's.

Reactions: Blackcat

·
Banned
5,063 Posts
Personally I use my .50 cal Cva Optima inline muzzle-loader with a power belt ballistic tip and a 100 grain powder charge. One shot one kill. I just shoot for the beak and if I miss the concussion knocks them out long enough to retrive then hit them in the head with the synthetic buttstock. No waste of meat that way.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a child my Grandfather shoot Canadian Geese on the Mississippi during November with a 22 Short, I swam out and retrieved them. We ate good. When I grew to be a Man I had to hunt those same geese with Steel shot and a 12 Gauge by Law, and Fido hit the River to Fetch them home. It became a delicacy. Grandpa accused me of wasting money using a 12 Gauge shell on a GOOSE. I have no reasonable argument that I was ever able to engage with my Grandfather. Now what reason do you have to hunt Grouse with anything other than a rock or stick?
Skill haha... Seriously though its a skill I would also like to develop. Unfortunatly its the same as with a gun... If I cant see them in the tall grass I cant hit them. Theres about 2-3 seconds as they are in flight then they are gone again. Also ive noticed when they flush it always seems to be within 10-20 yards in my experience.

I can follow them and generally track them to wherever they land but then they vanish again till I get close and they fly away again.
If I could figure out how to spot them and sneak up without frightening them a stick would be good. That sort of tracking amd stalking is what id like to know more about. But seems like a difficult thing to figure out.

·
Banned
5,063 Posts
Skill haha... Seriously though its a skill I would also like to develop. Unfortunatly its the same as with a gun... If I cant see them in the tall grass I cant hit them. Theres about 2-3 seconds as they are in flight then they are gone again. Also ive noticed when they flush it always seems to be within 10-20 yards in my experience.

I can follow them and generally track them to wherever they land but then they vanish again till I get close and they fly away again.
If I could figure out how to spot them and sneak up without frightening them a stick would be good. That sort of tracking amd stalking is what id like to know more about. But seems like a difficult thing to figure out.
You have to wear moccasins and walk like a Indian.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Not sure what province you are in but in Sask it is illegal to hunt an upland game bird with a center fire rifle; only rimfire rifles or shotgun. Migratory game birds are shotgun only and steel shot. I hunt grouse with a 22 all the time. Headshots only. Sounds like you need to practice more or need a more accurate rifle. They are a delicate bird and don't take much to kill.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
STOP, STOP RIGHT NOW... a 7.63 round hitting the ground will bounce.. is there any chance there are other hunters around???????

I would NEVER EVER bird hunt with you if you were using a rifle/// even a .22- how would you know if the was not somebody on the other side of the bushes...

If I knew you were within a mile of me..I would leave the woods

AGAIN..STOP, DO NOT PASS GO

If you were hunting were you can see a long long long ways or KNOW there are no others in front of you.. .22 is fine

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
STOP, STOP RIGHT NOW... a 7.63 round hitting the ground will bounce.. is there any chance there are other hunters around???????

I would NEVER EVER bird hunt with you if you were using a rifle/// even a .22- how would you know if the was not somebody on the other side of the bushes...

If I knew you were within a mile of me..I would leave the woods

AGAIN..STOP, DO NOT PASS GO

If you were hunting were you can see a long long long ways or KNOW there are no others in front of you.. .22 is fine
Nobody around here nope. Nearest neighbour from me is several kilometres/miles offgrid living in tents. Once you get to the sealed road from my place its give or take an hour to the nearest signs of life. Not an open flat area either its all steep mountains. Nothing here will travel terribly far unless im aiming at clouds. Certainly anything ive ever shot at here hasnt travelled more than 100 yards and that was what I was aiming at. All of them also hunt grouse with a .22. Im completely sure its legal in my area. Rimfire anyway but I think cdell is correct about centerfire for game birds now that I think about it. So... .22 or shotgun I guess it is. Or sticks and stones.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts