Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Routinely I inspect my daughters back pack. Not because I don't trust her, but she feels the need to carry a bunch of stuff that makes it weigh 20lbs. That's significant for an 85lb girl.

I usually end up pulling out extra markers, books that she has already read, stuff like that. We shave that pack down to a manageable 10lbs (which I think is still too much but hey...)

Today I made a startling discovery. One of the compartments in her back pack was essentially a Get Home Compartment. First aid kit, flashlight, some gummy snacks and a decent hat for cover and a cheap poncho. School is less than a quarter of a mile so getting home isn't that big of a deal for her, but it floored me to see her prepping. We haven't had any conversations about it and I really haven't "showed" her how to prep. She just knows that daddy usually has a bag of goodies stashed in the house, truck, at work, etc. My wife looked at me and said, "Well, she is YOUR daughter. No denying that!"

So I think her natural desire to prep and the effort she put forward makes it time to show her how it's done. Next few weekends are going to be Prep School for Middle School at our house.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Nice story/experience. Last week, during a tornado alert in my area, my entire family met at one central home. My nephew (age 13) brought in the bug out bag that I gave him 2 Christmas ago. He didn't know I was coming to the house. Very nice to see this. Your future prepper there!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Routinely I inspect my daughters back pack...I usually end up pulling out extra markers, books that she has already read, stuff like that. We shave that pack down to a manageable 10lbs (which I think is still too much but hey...
You're lucky she doesn't mind you inspecting her private pack, my dad used to inspect my bedroom til I started keeping it locked and I had the only key..;)
As regards packs, I heard on the news that a US firm is selling bullet-proof packs for schoolkids, I think there's a thin steel plate in there or something so that if shooting starts the kid can use the pack for cover as they get out of the premises.
Alternatively parents could encourage their kid to carry a couple of thick phone books in their school pack, I hear they're pretty good at stopping bullets.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If shes comfortable carrying the extra weight let her Id say. Its good for other things then school. Endurance/Strength etc. But if it seems too much then whittle the weight down like your doing. Sounds like a cool kid with good parents. ;)

My guys 10 so we havent gotten too deep into the prepping yet but hes aware that I do and he listens when I talk to him about safety and stuff. He has own flashlight and hes expected to use it night and be responsible for it. Changes his own batteries etc. He knows where his bug out bag is and bug out clothes but I havent gotten much further then that. I think the hardest thing is going to be convincing him what a beans and rice diet and getting him on board there. Kids and there junk food are hard to separate.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Give that young lady a hug from all of us. She's learning early. Good for you.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
This little gal in the vid is okay but she seems to be lacking motivation; if I was her instructor I'd tell her to GET MAD, GET MEAN by imagining the targets are zombs who are coming to kill her puppy, and to scream "mother****ers!" at them every time she pulls the trigger!

LiveLeak.com - Female Soldier Has Hard Time Shooting.....(little abusive)

PS- this German recruit is instructed how to get mad at 1:05

1 - 6 of 6 Posts