Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this year when gas started to rise in price I bought a scooter. Always been a motorcyclist but scooters always got laughed at. However after riding it a few days I found another so have a matched pair. Suzuki Burgmans both 2011 400cc fuel injected and water cooled. Actually are highway capable. Will cruise along 65-70mph all day long getting 63 MPG. Great fun and still only 10 bucks to fill them up. Huge under seat trunk to haul parts and groceries.

So what have others done? Electric bikes we kind of looked at but the scooters where cheaper. Being we are 12 miles out of town I didn't want to be a traffic hazard.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,685 Posts
Good idea for running around town.
What range would one tank get with that excellent gas mileage?

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3.6 gallon tank so over 200 miles.

Surprising I rode the second one home hour and a half down a rural four line interstate at 65-70mph. Little nervous with big trucks blowing it around. Was a weekend so it wasn't to bad. Have to really watch out for big pot holes with the 12 inch tires.

·
Registered
287 Posts
i cut down the amount of driving i do....and cut back on hunting, fishing, camping, hiking ..

limiting my self on ammo, cut range trips way down too

not to be a downer mr chipper....
stay off motor bikes in general......coming from a retired firefighter/medic

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,685 Posts
stay off motor bikes in general......coming from a retired firefighter/medic
You sound like my mother.
Ultrasound tech for 30 years, saw some pretty nasty crash victims. She told me I could never get a motorcycle.

Reactions: BamaDOC

·
Registered
62 Posts
Driving slower on the freeway. 65 instead of 70+. Limiting jackrabbit starts when the light turns green. Turning the Domino's Pizza sign on the car roof so it cuts through the wind.

Amazing the amount of people roaring by me when the light ahead is obviously red.

·
Registered
63 Posts
25 years ago I purchased a Honda 450. Riding in the mountains of Colorado where we lived (Allenspark) down to CU at Boulder it had just enough power to ride alone. Last year I bought a Honda Shadow 600. I get about 50 plus miles to the gallon up here. My commute to work 4 days a week is 11.5 miles each way. In the winter I have to drive my 4 wheel drive Avalanche which loves gasoline, but if it is over 40 degrees I put on the ski pants and coat and ride the motorcycle. It is part of my telling the world I won't bow.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Sheetz has 85 regular for 3.99

Reactions: Iceman45

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Back on the commuter bike. 20 miles round trip with lots of hills.

Huffing and puffing working hard but the lbs are dropping off.

Guess I've found the one postive thing about having 10 CAD/gallon gas.

Godspeed
I may need some tips on trying to get to work 2 miles off and back home twice a day in reasonable weather on the geriatric tricycle. I told the Warden I need an electric Motor and battery by Christimas or maybe Thanksgiving since thats near my birthday. She seems receptive. Whats a Mother to do? Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I may need some tips on trying to get to work 2 miles off and back home twice a day in reasonable weather on the geriatric tricycle. I told the Warden I need an electric Motor and battery by Christimas or maybe Thanksgiving since thats near my birthday. She seems receptive. Whats a Mother to do? Thanks.
I found these after a brief search. Not cheap, but...

There are e-bike forums out there, too. You may get more responses there.

Same as above, but it's the DIY section: DIY, Kits and Custom Builds

·
Registered
603 Posts
I found these after a brief search. Not cheap, but...

There are e-bike forums out there, too. You may get more responses there.

Same as above, but it's the DIY section: DIY, Kits and Custom Builds
Just be careful with some of the batteries on the cheaper e-bikes and their components.

Some of the parts aren't easily replaceable and some the batteries explode into flames when over charged.

Couple of weeks ago a guy died up here when he was charging his bike indoors and it exploded. In the story a local bike store owner and mechanic said he refused to store some ebike repairs in his shop over night given the risk.

Godspeed

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
25 years ago I purchased a Honda 450. Riding in the mountains of Colorado where we lived (Allenspark) down to CU at Boulder it had just enough power to ride alone. Last year I bought a Honda Shadow 600. I get about 50 plus miles to the gallon up here. My commute to work 4 days a week is 11.5 miles each way. In the winter I have to drive my 4 wheel drive Avalanche which loves gasoline, but if it is over 40 degrees I put on the ski pants and coat and ride the motorcycle. It is part of my telling the world I won't bow.
I started with a Honda 360 CB at age 21. Very good little bike. Rode it from Corpus to Wichita Falls and back..around a thousand miles. Gave me a heck of a sore butt. lol. Snagged a Suzuki 1100 four banger after that. That bike was fast. lol. My wife said if I bought another or an airplane she would divorce me. lol. She dont seem to equate my possibly soon to be electrifed geriatric tricycle with a motor cycle..cause she said I could have a motor and battery since the neighbor knows how to put it on supposedly. lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts