Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know if this has been asked or not but im going to post anyway.

ive been thinking of getting a rifle i want one that in a survival/bug out situation i can use it for more than one thing. i want a rifle for hunting and guarding/sniping the perimeter of my Bug Out Location. so i was thinking about a 30-06 but i hear they are heavy and kick like a mule so if not a 30-06 what would people recommend?
thanks guys/gals

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
i do have a 30-30 lever action. i got for christmas last year havent shot it much yet. whats th range on those?
Theoretically or actually?

200 yards is pretty much it for a 30-30, they REALLY start to drop after that.

Having said that, long range shooting is not just something you buy a gun for and can "just do it". Once you get past 200 yards with a .30-30 you are really going to have to know what you are doing... a .30-06 can go further and flatter, but again you are going to need to know ballistics, wind, etc. Hitting a moving man size target at 500 yards, for example, is exceedingly hard with a .30-06 if there's any wind at all.

Realistically, if you are going to be doing 200 yards or less, than your .30-30 is good to go.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,492 Posts
30.06 is a good round. It has decent knockdown power at range and reasonable recoil.
However, past a certain range, the round begins to drop significantly due to its weight.
My hunting rifle is chambered in .270 in order to take advantage of higher velocities and less bullet drop than the 30.06.
It uses the same cartridge as the 30.06, but has a much flatter trajectory. It can make a decent sniper round, but distance vs. effectiveness becomes an issue at range. Shot placement will count more.

That said, I don't intend to engage anyone passed 300yds. For that distance, either would be spot on. Go with a wooden stock if recoil is your concern. It will reduce felt recoil. Go with a synthetic if weight is your primary issue. A limbsaver on either will help no matter what.

If I had my pick for a utility round like this, I'd probably go with the .300 win mag, but I've heard felt recoil is substantial.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
If I had my pick for a utility round like this, I'd probably go with the .300 win mag, but I've heard felt recoil is substantial.

It feels about like this ^^^^

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
A bolt action will be limited in rate of fire but most are quite accurate.

For calibers I'd go with the 06 or 308 due to ammo availability. Either round can be effective well past 500yds. The 270 7mm Rem mag and 300 Win mag are also great choices but you won't find ammo as readily available. Other calibers also work well but then ammo is even harder to find.

You might want to look at a CMP M1 Garand or Springfield M1A, 3006 and 308 respectively. Autoloaders and reliable as the sun. The M1A has the advantage of magazine fed, while the M1 uses stripper clips.

Lots of other choices like the HK or FAL autoloaders in 308. The M1/M1A have much nicer sights.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
If you want a 30-06 get one. The 30-30 has a shorter range because the bullet is rounded and not pointed. Any good bolt action should do right?
Sure we have discussed this issue previously but I got my Winni stocked up on the Lever Evolution Ammo. Seems to make them quite a bit perkier. Saw one chart which showed the ballistics at 200 yds only a hundred ft pounds less than a .308. Think the chart below shows the trajectory. I would also take a .270 over a naught Six..if a person had a choice in a bolt gun. I also like .243 real well depending on what a person intends to hunt. Is more than enough for Texas White Tails and thugs. Marginal for big hawgs.
Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 30-30 Win :: 30-30 Win 160 gr FTX® LEVERevolution®

·
Registered
570 Posts
.30-06 would be a valid round in the sniping/hunting role. Lot of good options for a good bolt action .30-06, but not so many semi autos. For that, I'd say look at .308/7.62 NATO. Cheaper blasting ammo, same quality hunting ammo, lighter, far more common semi-auto weapons, higher capacity magazines, and for 90% of most situations, just as good. There are a lot of good .308s that can do general purpose rifle/hunting rifle combo, ranging from the tried and true Cold War big three (M1A, FAL, and HK91/PTR-91), to lighter, and probably more accurate rifles like the various makes of AR-10s, SCAR 17S, HK417, and odd balls like the Kel-Tec RFB.

Tons of options out there, but it looks like you're starting in the right place.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Realistically, at most any range if you're close to being on target, they will hear the sound of a bullet close by. I have a M1A NM, but live where its range will not be needed. folks walking within 200 yrds will do a double take when they hear rounds incoming. Semi-auto not needed. jmo.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
When I was 16 my dad bought me a 760 in 30/06. At the time would fire anything from 125 accelerators to 220 grain. He bought, I paid. Can't count the number of tags filled with that gun. Really can't loose on this one. Every backwoods mom and pop store from here to there will have ammo for it. Same with the 30/30.jmo. Can't go wrong!

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
There was certainly a large share of Police Counter snipers that used the 30-06. It is my choice of hunting round. The problem back then was that there was no match option. We went with .308 for this reason. There are probably better ammo options these days. 30-06 is a fine cartridge.

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
Its been said that the 30-06 is one of the most versatile rounds and is effective on most if not all animals in North America. If you're asking for permission, Yes, go get one!

But remember, Firearms are like tools. Each Firearm, each caliber of bullet, each shotgun shell size has its area of expertise.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
An avid old coyote hunting pal was into the 55 gr accelerators for his BDL. could make a naught six pretend to be a .220 Swift according to him anyway. Another old pal had one of his chums load up some hot running 110 grain model regular 06 ammo. Could not quite make it to the target without disintegrating itself.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.