Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Nice article.....I have one close family member that has a hard time imaging life worth living at times. Its tough for her.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
very thought provoking, and just a scratch of the surface, yes, we are facing some very hard realities right now, and some poeple(sheeple), seem to have no clue. George Carlin, I think, said "people spending money they dont have, on shit they dont need".
Thankfull that I dont have a creditcard.
I am sort of a pawnshop, with 50 coworkers, I am usually buying/selling something every week at work.
To me, LIFE is about choices, choose to be motivated and make the best of today, for a better tommorrow.
Or, choose to bitch and moan, blame, and/or beg, borrow, steal and make excuses why you cant do something.
Recently saw a documentary where an addict could get free help with her drug issues, but it was twenty miles away, so she made excuses why she couldn't get there, the host asked her if there were 20 zanax there waiting on her, if she could get there?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We'll see how long I keep people engaged when I point out what the majority of what they are doing is all wrong(ok, at least the majority of americans, hopefully not the majority of my readers). Just need to find the right voice - without catering too much to ego's.

I think it will be a fun challenge.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
remember, you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
"A life worth living"? - Is this a joke? I do not just "live a life worth living", I live a story-book life! :-D

At the root of Inor, I am a tinker. I LOVE to take things apart and reassemble the parts in ways that were never imagined by the original creator.

I used to date this chick (who eventually became Mrs Inor), and she got really pissed at me when I took apart my answering machine to steal some parts from it for a project I was working on. - That was about 25 years ago and I discovered the answering machine had a bank of the same D-RAM chips as the IBM PC I had at the time. Since the answering machine cost me about 30 bucks and a bank of 128K of D-RAM chips was going for about $70 at the time, I decided to upgrade my PC at the expense of the answering machine. It seemed smart me; not so much to her.

When I discovered the "survivalist" thing (before the prepper moniker was adopted) it gave me the perfect excuse to pursue every crazy idea I had ever had, and with Mrs Inor's blessing because she had seen the light by that time too! I was no longer some homeless-wannabe that was scavenging crap to make something useful out of it, I was a "survivalist".

Fast forward to today... I have made a decent income for several years - not rich but doing okay - and we have explored and in some cases achieved the ability to have a lifestyle well above my income (and maybe any income) by learning to do stuff ourselves. For example, I work in the IT industry where "image is everything". Thus, I get asked to several professional gatherings where they pride themselves (and are not bashful about telling me about) their expensive aged French cheeses. In most cases, their $30 per pound brie sucks compared to Mrs Inor's homemade farmer cheese. And yeah, their expensive designer sausage cannot touch my home stuffed and smoked kielbasa. It is fun to sit back and chuckle.

So you ask: "have I lived a good life"? Hell yeah! I live a life BETTER than royalty because they are only getting the best that a looter can make. I am getting the best that Mrs Inor and I can make. And I will put my wife or myself up against anybody...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great responses, but I did make a silly mistake that might have lead to a misunderstanding. Meant to post a reply on the article ;). Here is great too though, so anyone prior to this post who posted here will be added to the drawing too.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I made a conscious decision to actively live life after being told that I would never recover from my back injury.
It really wasn't that I wanted to get better, I had to get better. I could have stayed on Methadone and become another societal dependent but I wanted to engage life, actively pusue it and get absorbed in it. I take my grandkids fishing, attend their sports games and plays. I joined a smallbore silhouette shoot at the local range and while I am not a great shot now, I see improvement in my scores every month. I am getting my shop finished and will begin working in it as soon as it is complete.
I may not be in the same good shape I was 9 years ago but I am living life again!

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Small steps still add up, and I think its mainly about "can do" instead of "cant do".
Like Inor, I love to modify and tinker, and also have a great and understanding woman, with a great little family, so I just try to be "the man my grandfather wanted me to be", and try to help others when I can. I have never been rich, but I lead a rich life, and I am so happy with what I have, that I cant ask for anything more.
Oh, and if it seems like Im in great mood, yes, vacation starts in 6 hours..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts