Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

22lr ball vs 22lr hollow point

7K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  AquaHull 
#1 ·
Is there really a difference? A friend asked me this today and I couldn't give him a good answer.

#4 ·
A few years back we were shooting at an old playground slide that was torn down by a tornado. .22 ball just dented it... Hollow points tore right through it.

#5 ·
IMO for small game stick with ball. But Hollow points will expand. Short video on some subsonic

Reactions: Irish
#7 ·
Wrong, HP WILL expand in a handgun. CCI mini mag is a very accurate and deadly round out of almost any 22 rifle or handgun. Easily obtained at Walmarts also. Ball ammo is fine for hunting, it is still soft enough that unlike HP ammo, it will still flatten out a bit upon hitting bones in a rabbit. I only hunt with HP, does not tear up any more meat on something small like squarrels or rabbits than ball will. ( 40 years experience ).

#8 ·
isnt the ball ammo just fmj?

#9 ·
Yes technically speaking and yes Lead Round Nose or Plated Lead Round Nose would have been a more accurate description but why split hairs. I knew what they were talking about here and thats all that really counted anyways right?

Quiet a bit of 22 rim fire ammo will expand at least a little bit from a 6 inch barreled pistol, but your right some loads wont. As previously mentioned CCI ammo usually will consistently in the higher velocity loads. Of course expansion will be considerably more dramatic in longer barreled rifles where the powder can fully burn for max speeds.

For Squirrels and Cottontails I usuaully use the most acurate Lead Round Nose (plated or un-plated) I can get. I dont want to damage any more meat than neccessary and neither take too much damage to securely anchor them in place. I am usually looking to make head shots on both for that reason anyways. In a survival situation I would also use the same load when targeting sitting Pheasant or Puddle Ducks at rest in shallow water as on both I will most likely be taking a body shot.

Now on something approaching **** in size or bigger I will most likely opt for a Hollow Point load. These are a little bit bigger built animals and a little tougher and can take a bit of punishment before giving up the ghost. I am going to be in all likelyhood shooting in the rib cage and looking to take out the lungs and heart on such targets and need to get the maximum amount of tissue damage for a quick clean kill. I would also favor the heavier projectiles in the 36-40 grain range for maximum penetration as opposed to the lighter and faster 29-32 gr Hollow Points.

#11 ·
I shot quite a few squirrels and rabbit with hollow point .22lr and never had any problem loosing meat. I simply prefer to stock and use it because it's affordable to do so. You never know what you're going to come across hunting that you'll want on the table when shtf and you're hungry. Why not have better expanding ammo at better range? You may need to use it for defense also. Shoot someone in the gut, neck, balls, leg, face and chest if you don't deflect off a bone and their not going to having a good day. .22lr can do some damage too and that may be the end of it. That doesn't mean I'm saying to choose it as a defensive rifle or go out with it alone, but that it's still capable.

#15 ·
Shoot someone in the gut, neck, balls, leg, face and chest if you don't deflect off a bone and their not going to having a good day. .22lr can do some damage too and that may be the end of it. That doesn't mean I'm saying to choose it as a defensive rifle or go out with it alone, but that it's still capable.
I think 22lr is over looked a lot when it comes to self defense, no its my first choice in a gun fight but I would not snark my nose at picking it up, for self defense.

Nothing is faster at getting on target, than a good 22 rifle.
In semi auto, follow up shots are easy, without the need to adjust your aim due to kick.
Weapons and ammo are light.
Weapons and ammo is cheap and in abundance.

#14 ·
LOL! Wow, a lot of fuss over a .22LR!

I've used everything from Remington green box regular old lead rounds to CCI HP and Remington Yellow Jackets HP, and they all have one thing in common - they kill squirrel and rabbit.
Yesterday, I picked up a brick of Fiocchi .22LR because I know that company kicks out accurate and reliable ammunition in .45 and .308, so it only made sense that I would buy their .22LR lead round nose. Nothing special, just accurate. Compare the lead from a .22 to the squirrel's little body and you'll not be so worried about HP or LRN. I've dropped a lot of squirrel and rabbit, and never lost a single one because of type of bullet.
Get a rifle, get ammo that is consistent and just get good. Ammo type is for human preference and argument, the little critters hate them all!

#18 ·
I'd use it if it was in my hands. Note to any undesirables snoping on the forum who's looking to rob people post shtf take that in mind. If I'm in the woods hunting with my 10/22 and you hear me and try to steal my game, I'll unload the rest of the magazine into your gut and jewels.

:mrgreen:
I carry a fully loaded BX-25 for that kind of scenario

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.