Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, my brother and I went out to the outdoor range nearby and we shot off a mitt full of rounds. My father came by to check on us and we noticed that a yellow jacket bee sitting on my target. My dad literally picked up his handgun, took quick aim and shot the thing right off the target!!....we were calling him Mr Miagi after that and I joked that if it happened again, that I was going to quit shooting for the day....sure enough another yellow jacket landed on my target, I scoped it up with my .22 and took a shoot!!..sure enough I had hit it!!, and watched it fall to the ground!!....my brother went downrange and took pictures of the 2 bees laying dead on the ground. He was safe as this was our range and no one else was shooting btw. He said that if we could be nailing bees off a 3 inch target from about 50 feet away, bring on the zombie apocolypse!!!...at least we wont go hungry if something were to happen.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sounds like you could compete with a squirrel hunter from the backwoods of Kentucky... :)

It's always good to know what you can and can't accomplish. Now... you need to up the challenge and work on hitting moving targets... like butterfly's jetting about your range. When you can do that.... I figure its time to add your place as a potential BOL. :) At least I can count on you bringing in some game.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woadwarrior....you dont know the half of it...my dad literally walked in on us shooting, my brother mentioned the bee on the target as he had binoculars, and my dad picked up the gun, set himself and in about 2 seconds...yes 2 seconds and just the iron sights, blew the bee into the next life...I was trying to sell him my Redot sight for his gun, so I dont know now!!!...I have my BOL fortunately...time to bring in some game though!!.......

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have different memories of my dad and his .22. He didn't like dogs... unless they were hunting dogs... As I grew up... I went through many a dog... because mine seemed to keep running away. It wasn't until I was about 25 that he admitted he kept taking them out in the back fields and shooting them. He claimed we had too many dogs and was just thinning them out. Now... he just poisons the neighbors cats because they keep crapping in his yard. But... at 70, I'm glad he has a hobby besides golf to keep him busy. :)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
sounds like a great shot and a nice time with pops.

woad, your father sounds like my biological mother. she shot dogs n shit in front of us no reason, just to terrorize us kids.
real peach that lady. i havent talked to her in 25yrs or so. i am well pleased about that.

i most certainly wouldnt hurt a butterfly.

·
Administrator
15,257 Posts
Nothing better than shooting a .22 with your father. Many good memories doing that. Now, I can't get my father to shoot a spitwad at anything.
My Dad taught me how to shoot when I was 5. I can still remember my brother, Dad and myself going down into the woods behind the barn on HIS dad's property in Maine (where he had grown up) and shooting with a bolt action 22. That was 59 years ago.
For my 10th birthday I got my very own Winchester single shot 22.
Dad has been gone for over 12 years now.
I miss you, Dad.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've still got my old model 67 Winchester after two house fires, a robbery and the passage of 46 years.

Dad bought it for seven dollars off of a co-worker and gave it to me for my birthday.

Thanks, Rice Paddy Daddy, for reminding me of that pleasant time.

Reactions: rice paddy daddy
1 - 11 of 11 Posts