Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a both a .22 long rifle pistol and revolver and really like them for plinking and such. Not sure how useful they'd be for a survival type scenario. Your thoughts on the matter. Fun plinkers or useful as a survival tool.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Both, fun plinkers and survival tool. My sig saur .22 is awesome. Always gets range time, every time the pistols are there, the sig gets used for fun. It was bartered for a "run down no titled travel trailer " in my yard, and the 100 dollars I owed a friend.
We plink away with it, and its no tack driver, but sure is awesome to shoot.
As for a survival tool, I kept three magazines loaded with 9 rounds close at hand for a long time, until I purchased the 9mm. Yes, everyone is going to shout its to small of a weapon for personall defense, but I taught my fiance and daughter to aim "high center mass" and quickly shoot three times, then evaluate the situation, and that by all means, in a known one on one situation, to shoot until the gun is empty, reload, and then shoot again, all aiming for the mouth area.
I need to benchrest shoot it, and see what it could do, but Im no marksman.
My grandfather had a "ruger 6", i think it was, kept it on top of the fridge for as long as I can remember, and he had taken quite a few squirrels with it.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I agree - Both. I sure as heck would not want to get shot with anything including 22LR. I enjoy plinking with all of my 22's and for that day for my wife
she has several 22LR revolvers loaded with CCI's (Stingers/Velocitors) ready to go. My wife can really only handle the 22's and the primary revolver for her is a S&W 617
with 10 shots and a model 317 and Ruger SP101 both of those with 8 shots to back it up. I have tried bigger rounds but she cannot handle it and that's ok. I don't want to
have her try a 22 auto as I don't want her dealing with any jams or a magazine dropping out, the revolvers are reliable and simple! When we go on vacation I take a Ruger 10/22 takedown along for her
with a revolver in one of the cool pockets on the neat backpack that comes with the 10/22 and plenty of additional ammo. As for me I try not to carry or stand behind anything that does not start
with the number 4 in a pistol and 5.56 and/or .308 for my rifles.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
SHTF if you are going to do traps & snares a 22 will be quite handy. When I use to do them I used a H&R 9shot break top revolver. Allowed me to use S, L, or LR ammo.

On the other hand, I like the option of a small 22LR auto in an ankle holster.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I hunt squirrel with mine every year. I like the factory fiber optic sights, but without magnification, and given the size of the game, I try to keep most shots at or under 25 yards. Though I have taken squirrel out to 75 yards, I've also missed two or three times before hitting and dropping them at that range. The misses weren't a fault of the gun NEARLY as much as my skill level using open sights.

Since the first time I tried hunting with a pistol about 8 years ago, the only time I ever carry a rifle for ANY game is when I start to feel bad for leaving the rifles at home. :D :D

It's NICE having the pistol in a holster and both hands free going through the woods!

It'll be the first thing I grab in a bug out situation!!

View attachment 2743 View attachment 2744

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have a Ruger Single Six Convertible in 22lr/22WRM that I use as a general plinking fun gun and I specifically chose this one over a rifle for survival as I think it has more to offer than a rifle. Yes I know the range potential is much shorter with the revolver but if your using it for small game collecting, then how far are you really going to be shooting? I have found a majority of my shots are with in 25 yards. With a little practice hitting a squirrel or a rabbit at that distance aint that big of a challenge. One of the biggest two assets I find in this gun is the fact that its much more concealable and the fact that unlike most 22 rifles I can use any type of ammo that will chamber without worrying about power levels or the loads ability to cycle a autoloader. Its a great asset when running a trap line if I need to dispatch something I have caught too. Loaded with shotshells its pretty handy when I am out fishing at night on my Kayak for snakes that get too close. Its an awesome gun to teach new shooters how to handle a handgun as well. The recoil is light, report aint abusive and its about as cheap as you can get ammo wise these days. Oh and did I mention its just plain fun to shit the hell out of it?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I think there quite useful, same as conversions, as long as you can hit what you're aiming at. If not, than you're wasting ammo when shtf.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
May not meet DNR requirements but a 22 LR hand gun has taken a few deer

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I hunt squirrel with mine every year. I like the factory fiber optic sights, but without magnification, and given the size of the game, I try to keep most shots at or under 25 yards. Though I have taken squirrel out to 75 yards, I've also missed two or three times before hitting and dropping them at that range. The misses weren't a fault of the gun NEARLY as much as my skill level using open sights.

Since the first time I tried hunting with a pistol about 8 years ago, the only time I ever carry a rifle for ANY game is when I start to feel bad for leaving the rifles at home. :D :D

It's NICE having the pistol in a holster and both hands free going through the woods!

It'll be the first thing I grab in a bug out situation!!

View attachment 2743 View attachment 2744
I have almost exactly the same setup I purchased over 30 years ago. I am not the shot you are.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Unless I'm caught away from home, I'd load the truck with all my guns before food and water. This may sound crazy but I think my 30-30 Marlin leaver action followed by my Ruger Gunsite Scout are the most universal. My Governor is my most universal handgun.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I find that the .22 auto is a fine weapon, and as mentioned, if you use high quality ammo, is very dependable. Honestly, I carry a larger caliber weapon for personal defense, but I would not feel unarmed carrying the .22. I was surprised at the accuracy of the .22 auto, and found it was only limited by the aim of the shooter.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have almost exactly the same setup I purchased over 30 years ago. I am not the shot you are.
I CHEAT! :D When I'm attempting something over 30 or 40 yards I look for a tree to brace my hand against. But have also found my MKIII is more picky about ammo brand than any gun I've ever seen. It never fails to impress me with Remington Yellow Jackets, or Vipers. But try anything else like any of the CCI's, Winchester, or Aguila, it'll throw those things around so bad it's scary.

I've got a 10/22 that loves the Aguila stuff, and one that acts just like the MKIII. A Savage .22mag that insists on Winchester Supreme or Federals, and a Marlin that likes nothing but Winchester Supremes. To my experience rim fires are VERY finicky about what you feed them. And no two guns are quite the same. Luckily ammo's cheap enough to allow for lots of good times testing! ;)

I should note for Obama and his friends, ALL these guns are at the bottom of a lake following the terrible boating accident. I'm now a good citizen and completely unarmed.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
They have plenty of uses in a survival situation. They are good for putting animals down at close range, much easier to quiet then large calibers, and of course the ammo haul (lots of ammo). I love 22LR hand guns and have plenty of them. My favorite is my Munson made Dan Wesson 15-22. It looks like a 357 and shoots really smooth - have all the barrels but only use the 4." I am planning on adding an SR-22 Ruger semi auto 22LR to my collection soon - will allow me to replace a PPK/s 22LR that I've carried around for years outdoors.

Also I expect to have to teach a few people how to shoot. For that I keep 22LR conversion kits for the 1911 and the AR on hand. Do they make a 22LR conversion kit for Ruger P series hand guns - I have to google that and find out - it'd be good for me to get one.

I have a both a .22 long rifle pistol and revolver and really like them for plinking and such. Not sure how useful they'd be for a survival type scenario. Your thoughts on the matter. Fun plinkers or useful as a survival tool.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I should note for Obama and his friends, ALL these guns are at the bottom of a lake following the terrible boating accident.
I'd have a hard time selling them on that one, since I live on a desert.:)

I like .22 handguns, they are a lot of fun to shoot and can certainly help keep handgun skills from getting rusty. What struck me as odd and is the reason behind this thread is that liking something (in this instance .22 handguns) doesn't necessarily equate to them being particularly useful in a SHTF situation. That said some very good points were made as to the viability of the .22 handgun.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Have several .22 rifles, no handguns. I know I need to get one, or 2 or 3... but I just can't get past paying as much for a handgun in .22 as one in a major caliber.

Case in point: Ripon, that Dan Wesson must be mighty nice and I would love to have one, but not willing to pay the 357 price I'm seeing on gunbroker. Also be mighty heavy to take on a forced march.

Guess I'm just going to have to get over my hangup.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
I have several .22's including an FEG SMC and a Charter Arms pathfinder. Working around the farm I've always got one or the other with me. IN a SHTF scenario the gun you have with you at the time is the one that you will depend on until you get situated. In mycase, my pathfinder is always close by.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Ripon, good decision on the Ruger SR 22.
I have one and it is sweet.
Good sights, very good trigger and not picky about ammo.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have an old Colt Peacemaker in 22 cal with inter changable cylinders for 22lr/22mag. I also have a Walther P-22 that I absolutely love! It just feels awesome in the hand. It is fitted with a thread adapter for a can I can put on it. When it has a suppressor and running 22 shorts/subsonic, all you hear is the action. It is "Hollywood quiet".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts