Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This last week I have been moving scopes around . i found time to play with the Ruger precision rim fire with the Cabela's Covenant scope mounted. This rifle has a 20 MOA rail. I had wanted to try the Aguila .22 40 grain 1.255 FPS rounds.
Federal match let me down CCI was ok. After a few rounds to get it zero. 35 degrees out No wind at all. 100 yards prone supported. Using a 50 yard Pistol target with a 1 inch center. The Scope is a FFP dialed it up to 10 for a larger center.
This is 30 rounds one right after another bolt action. I have never had this kind of groups with .22 rounds and a warm to hot barrel . I plan to try some other rounds but as of now Aguila wins. Plan is to do some more work with them as I move this .22 out to 300 yards.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Smitty, that's a nice group for three feet. Back up to seven or ten feet and do it again for us...

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smitty, that's a nice group for three feet. Back up to seven or ten feet and do it again for us...
That is 100 yards . Keep in mined it is a Ruger precision rim fire. It was designed for 250-300 yards as a practice weapon for longer range high caliber rifles. My main point is the ammo. Federal so call match grade has never served me well. I have been searching for the right ammo to take it to it's limits. I did hit the wrong key, the it has a 30 MOA rail not 20. Longest I have shot it so far was 200 yards with CCI the drop was about 36 inches.

·
Banned
20,845 Posts
Never had any problems with Aguila .22LR. But never tried to shoot any longer that 100 yards or so either and never with a Precision rifle! Aguila seems to be cleaner than the average .22LR round. Nice shooting Smitty!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Never had any problems with Aguila .22LR. But never tried to shoot any longer that 100 yards or so either and never with a Precision rifle! Aguila seems to be cleaner than the average .22LR round. Nice shooting Smitty!
In this case it is 99% the weapon and the ammo. The ammo held a much tighter group than any I have tried. The FFP scope set on 10 gave me a nice thin cross hair. I am heading to town tomorrow look for some more of it.

Consider a highend Match grade Winchester 308 178 gr has a drop of 51 inches at 500 yards. Shooting a weapon like the RP rimfire at 250 to 300 yards would give you some good training for the higher calibers

Reactions: Slippy

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must clear up information on the ammo . It is the Aguila Prime 1,225 FPS . Some of the other versions they sell do not do as well. It Seems this weapon likes the 40 gr round nose at around 1200 FPS for longer range. The 30 and 38 gr rounds do not seems to do well. The sub sonic do ok at 50 yards but after that forget them.

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Administrator
14,696 Posts
Back during the Obama ammo shortage a friend bought some various ammo to bring to the range with us.
One item was two 50 round boxes of Aguilla 40 grain high velocity lead round nose. That was all the 22 LR the store had in stock, and they charged him something like $6 per box.

We fired a few, I've got a box & a half left - I'm going to try them again next range trip. The only scoped 22 LR I have is a 50+ year old bolt action Stevens, one of my farm rifles. None of my other 22 LR long guns are scoped. Now that I'm 71, I might have to do a few more.

I also picked up a few boxes of Aguilla 40 grain JSP 22 WMR because a few months ago that's the only brand the Ace Hardware had. Right now my 22 WMR revolver farm guns are loaded with it.
If Aguilla 22 magnum is as good as Winchester or CCI I'll have to give it a try in my Savage Model 93GL bolt action. That rifle is scoped also. Another farm rifle, for predators. I got rid of my 22 Hornet, and the Mini 14 is a little much against *****.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I have quite a lot of Aguila ammo and never had any issues shooting their various offerings!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have quite a lot of Aguila ammo and never had any issues shooting their various offerings!
Most .22 are ok. The real test comes down to shooting it in a weapon like the RP rim fire and keeping groups tight. This is what separates the outstanding from the rest and of course the really poor stuff. Shooters are shooting the RP rim fire at 300 yards and some hitting 3 1/2 disks. many are nailing 6 inch disk. That is amazing for a .22 rim rife. With a 52 to 56 inch drop using top end ammo it translates to shoot higher power weapons at 500 or more yards.
I have put a lot of work into figuring this out and my goal is 300 yards with it.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
I use a little Belgian browning.

CCI 40gr has always been the best. But that is of what I've tried. With opens. Hits beer cans at 100 yds

·
Administrator
14,696 Posts
Accuracy in 22 rimfire ammo is a question of consistent velocity, which comes from excellent quality control on priming compound and powder charge and even bullet weight. Match shooters often sort their ammo by weighing each round.
This is why Remington Golden Bullet will never measure up to Ely Match, and why true Match ammo will set you back over $10 per box of 50.
CCI is relatively consistent as is Winchester Super X, and apparently Aquila.

Just like everything else, budget 22LR will give you budget results.

Reactions: Smitty901

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Accuracy in 22 rimfire ammo is a question of consistent velocity, which comes from excellent quality control on priming compound and powder charge and even bullet weight. Match shooters often sort their ammo by weighing each round.
This is why Remington Golden Bullet will never measure up to Ely Match, and why true Match ammo will set you back over $10 per box of 50.
CCI is relatively consistent as is Winchester Super X, and apparently Aquila.

Just like everything else, budget 22LR will give you budget results.
If I get 4 inches at 300 yards, discounting a flyer now and then. I will call it a day.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have been a CCI buff for a long time, but Aquila makes a Super Match for the rifle and pistol that just awed me with the accuracy and repeatability out of my Remington bolt action and my Ruger Mark III.

Aquila .22 Match.jpg

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Windy ,damp and cool 32 degrees out. But I wanted to play. Took some ELY yellow box . The Ruger RP rimfire is nailing 200 yards. Bit to windy to get carried away with the group but good enough to call it zeroed at 200 yards now. Little work on a better day then 300 yards.

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
@Smitty901, some of my best purchases have been flat out dumb luck.

I saw a stainless Ruger 10/22 with some form of laminate stock that also had a silver-ish finish, and I bought it. It is/was box stock, I never even had to shim the wood. I took the ten-round (?) magazine that came with the rifle, grabbed some garden-variety .22LR ammunition and took a seat at the 100 yard line of the Deerfield Gun Club.

I perched the rifle on my elbows and fired five rounds. I would have been happy with grapefruit, but instead I got a golf ball.

Now, since then I had a CAR-15 tricked out, and I carefully handloaded all my reloads--the box stock Ruger .22LR could out-shoot the Colt whether it was me or a friend squeezing off the rounds. I never believed in the theory, but I think this was a rifle that was built on a Wednesday.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I want to try some of Aguila blue box match. It is suppose to be outstanding . It is 1080 FPS . The 1255 fps world most often do better at longer range but we shall see. The quest for 3/12 inch group at 300 yards is on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts