Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year has been a wild year for me. I retired from the AF, completed a major remodel on our house that we bought in 2014, and started a new job with Hewlett Packard (out of state). However, I had some important accomplishments on the prepping from as well. Below is a list of most of my preps from this year.

1. 6 New Guns (Ruger SR9C, Ruger AR556, Sig 938 with crimson trace, Walther P22, Stevens 320 and a flint lock pistol that my boy and I are putting together).
2. Ammo for each caliber. Won't post the amount but it's excessive.
3. 12 ammo cans
4. Poulan 16 inch chainsaw
5. Ax and hatchet
6. Various tools to assist in the remodel
7. 3 more 5 gallon water jugs
8. New set of tires for my Excursion
9. Over 10 new blades
10. 5.11 Concealed carry vest
11. Trail cam
12. Three pairs of special ops gloves.
13. Drone (just a starter cost about $120)
14. Weider Weight System

As for my 2016 goals I'm definitely going to focus on food. I put up 50 lbs of rice in 2015 and all my cabinets/both freezers are full. But that's only about 2 months in my estimation. I want to get that up to 6 months. Additionally, I would like to extend my water preps from 4 months to 6 months. I need a new safe because my current one is busting from the seems. Lastly, the wife and I have talked about buying a few acres (2-5) directly behind our property. It currently belongs to the water company and from what I gather from our neighbors they would be receptive to selling. How did you guys fair in 2015 and what are your goals?

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
I'm impressed PTH!

I remember when you came to the forum. You don't post much but when I do I enjoy your posts. Great job on your progress and my very best to you in 2016!

However, I must correct your terminology on your #2 Item, Ammo....there is no such thing as an "excessive" amount of ammo! :oops: I've never been in a firefight but I trust that nobody ever went into one saying, ''darnit, I have too much ammo!

Seriously, good job Sir!

This year has been a wild year for me. I retired from the AF, completed a major remodel on our house that we bought in 2014, and started a new job with Hewlett Packard (out of state). However, I had some important accomplishments on the prepping from as well. Below is a list of most of my preps from this year.

1. 6 New Guns (Ruger SR9C, Ruger AR556, Sig 938 with crimson trace, Walther P22, Stevens 320 and a flint lock pistol that my boy and I are putting together).
2. Ammo for each caliber. Won't post the amount but it's excessive.
3. 12 ammo cans
4. Poulan 16 inch chainsaw
5. Ax and hatchet
6. Various tools to assist in the remodel
7. 3 more 5 gallon water jugs
8. New set of tires for my Excursion
9. Over 10 new blades
10. 5.11 Concealed carry vest
11. Trail cam
12. Three pairs of special ops gloves.
13. Drone (just a starter cost about $120)
14. Weider Weight System

As for my 2016 goals I'm definitely going to focus on food. I put up 50 lbs of rice in 2015 and all my cabinets/both freezers are full. But that's only about 2 months in my estimation. I want to get that up to 6 months. Additionally, I would like to extend my water preps from 4 months to 6 months. I need a new safe because my current one is busting from the seems. Lastly, the wife and I have talked about buying a few acres (2-5) directly behind our property. It currently belongs to the water company and from what I gather from our neighbors they would be receptive to selling. How did you guys fair in 2015 and what are your goals?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I just started prepping a year ago so supplies are not were I want them to be at this point in time , as for 2016 it's all about prepping to the max . we my wife and I and Kelly { my dog} can last 3 months with what we have , I hope to have by the end of next year 18 months supply , lots of work ahead , If SHTF with in a week , we will make it just because we have the will to do so , and we have the means to do it one day at a time need be .

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL Slippy I completely agree. I was using society's standard when I typed that. Honestly, I put up a little over 5000 rounds this year. It's not much in the grand scheme of things but it is an accomplishment considering I like to hit the range every couple of weeks. I see that happen with a lot of my preps. I have way to much fluctuation. The wife and I buy in abundance then slowly use it. This happens a lot with food and toiletries. For instance, I'll buy a dozen tubes of tooth paste but then won't replenish until I'm down to two. This is something that I really need to work on.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just started prepping a year ago so supplies are not were I want them to be at this point in time , as for 2016 it's all about prepping to the max . we my wife and I and Kelly { my dog} can last 3 months with what we have , I hope to have by the end of next year 18 months supply , lots of work ahead , If SHTF with in a week , we will make it just because we have the will to do so , and we have the means to do it one day at a time need be .
That's a tall task. Good luck! I Know that having the will to survive can be assisted by places like prepperforums. I come to this site to get info on daily happenings throughout the world. I believe it will be a great source for getting the jump on the rest of society if the S actually HTF. One of the things that we are prepared to do is hit the store immediately after an event takes place. We have money saved up so that we could get a large shopping trip completed which would easily double our food and water storage.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
One of the things that we are prepared to do is hit the store immediately after an event takes place. We have money saved up so that we could get a large shopping trip completed which would easily double our food and water storage.
please do not PLAN on doing that.. there is a chance that stores will be very dangerous AFTER an event....

may I ask why you do not get long term food NOW

check out http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/sto...839595_10557_3074457345616706237_-1_N_image_0

pick up some rice, beans, wheat, sugar, etc

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
One of the things that we are prepared to do is hit the store immediately after an event takes place. We have money saved up so that we could get a large shopping trip completed which would easily double our food and water storage.
If the event is an EMP... the cash registers might not work
if it is a earthquake - you might not be able to get there
if it is a pandemic declared emergency..you might not WANT to go there
if it is a dollar collapse... your money is no good
if it is nuclear - it might not be there

there will be people that will be planning on looting the store at the same time you are making your last purchase.. there are one or two folks here that will be heading out to loot, steal----and murder as needed

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maine, That's a great question. It comes down to a balance between having cash in hand and stored preps. I would rather keep my savings where it is and slowly add preps vs diminish my savings for a larger amount of preps. I feel this gives me greater flexibility in the long run. SEC as I was previously a Security/OPSEC manager. The reality is that we would be in and out of the grocery store within an hour. Another thing that we think about is the quality of food that we are eating. I wouldn't want long term meals unless it was absolutely necessary. I know this goes against the theory of most preppers, but my personal preference though. I do know I have make certain improvements in this area though.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Protect - It sounds to me like you are way ahead of most of society in being prepared and you should be commended. I doubt there are many who frequent this forum who are completely satisfied with their long-term sustainability efforts. I, like you, finished a major remodel on my house this year. Next years goals are a solar pump for my well, build a chicken coop, finish the irrigation work in our new garden, and to begin gathering logs for a cabin I am going to build. It will be a totally off-grid BOL in a remote region. 26' x 32' in size at this point, but the kids and I are going to start on the lay-out this weekend and adjust as needed. We lay out all the wall locations, doors, furniture etc. on the ground with 2" PVC pipe and see how it really fits. I did this before remodeling our house and it worked fantastic. Anyway, Happy New Years to all and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well I found this great little forum.......

I can't say I've done a lot of prepping but maybe it's just because I do and don't call it that. We have some stores put up and are adding to those and keeping track of what we have better and identifying what we don't.

I have built a chicken coop and a rabbit hutch just because I wanted to raise them again like I used to.
I've planted some evergreens to shield some parts of my property.
Planted some fruit trees and have ten more on order that I'm going to plant.
I've made my garden bigger than I had it last summer and got it planted in rye right now for the green manure ( wish I'd have planted cool weather stuff instead)
Ordered some honey bees, I've never had those. It looks to be an adventure.
I've increased my rain water storage to 1000 gallons (because I hate seeing it just wasted)

My wife bought me another AR, I bought her another pistol.
Ammo
Bought extra arrows and broadheads for my bow which is all I hunt with now.

2016 I plan to do a lot more gardening and canning mainly as a hobby but it does have strong roots to prepping, I'm using it mainly as a way to get back to the old way and teach my nieces how to do it in a fun environment.

Best wishes to all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just started prepping this year. I've always been in the mindset of thinking ahead and being prepared, but I never thought of it from this angle. My wife thinks I'm crazy and it's just another "fad" for the moment... little does she know :) She's onboard and all, but I guess for her she will need to experience the use of some of our recently purchased equipment before she's convinced.

So far this year I've done the following (All within 2 months might I add).

- Sold the shares of my company, bought a Dodge Ram 1500 Sport.
- Have 2 EDC pouches, one for my wife and one for me. Mine always stays in the truck.
- Built a GHB with some essentials
- Started a BOB
- Built up enough food and water for at least a month.
- Purchased a Generac 7500W generator
- Changed from F/A Electric to F/A Propane Heat

This year's plans are to ensure everything is organized, and evenly build up our stores. I also plan on getting my Weapons license and purchase a few guns. We can't carry here in Canada unless to the range. We cannot hunt with pistols either.

Build a garden out back with about 4 or 5 vegetables.

I've already sorted a room out with some shelving for our equipment. Plan is to make that room our storage room (It's 12X12) to start. We want to be able to be fully prepared for up to 6 months by the end of this year.

Build up some fair sized alcohol stores. In the event of a SHTF scenario, and you need something to barter with, a 40oz of rye can help. :)

My house will be completely wired for backup power in 2 weeks. I'll also be building a new shed out back in the summer to hold some equipment (Generator, fuel etc).

My wife and I have made our new years resolution to be less Facebook/Social Media, more reading. I guess I'll be reading a lot of books on survival. :D

Keep learning.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Concentrate on finishing out my basement and making it look nice to sell and terraforming our farm so it will be ready for a new house. Or a bigger camper. Like a 5th wheel. Maybe my New Year's resolution should be to make up my mind.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
So far in 2015 i passed my amateur radio test. And on may 20 2016 i will graduate college. Then hopefully around june i will start taking certification exams. I plan on buying the practice tests and going the extra mile to make sure i pass the certifications.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Maine, That's a great question. It comes down to a balance between having cash in hand and stored preps. I would rather keep my savings where it is and slowly add preps vs diminish my savings for a larger amount of preps. I feel this gives me greater flexibility in the long run. SEC as I was previously a Security/OPSEC manager. The reality is that we would be in and out of the grocery store within an hour. Another thing that we think about is the quality of food that we are eating. I wouldn't want long term meals unless it was absolutely necessary. I know this goes against the theory of most preppers, but my personal preference though. I do know I have make certain improvements in this area though.
you could quickly add lots of basic preps for very little money (Rice, Beans, Wheat) via LDS.Stores... #10 cans..you would be surprised how much food $400+- will get you...

Just as long as you know in the back of your mind that if it is an EMP or other such event.. the store may be a NO-GO and you have a lot of worthless cash in your safe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts