Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this season we discovered deer on our property that road hunters with spotlights had shot, decapitated and left for the buzzards. They left every bit of meat on the ground. You can imagine how infuriating this is. I received a phone call the other night and was advised that our local TWRA agent had made two arrests in the case and seized guns and a vehicle. I just want to express my gratitude to the fine wildlife agents out there. You are appreciated!

I am also happy to report that despite their nocturnal activities the poaching pieces of fecal matter failed to kill the two largest bucks on the property. One was taken on opening day of our primitive firearms season and I bagged the second biggest on a cold Thanksgiving morning yesterday! These are just a couple small blessings I can count in a life full of them.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Congrats on the magnificent kill! Beautiful buck!

I wish that when people were convicted of poaching, they were sentenced to 10 days chained to a post where they committed the crime. 10 days for each offence and 10 days in each location. Then tell all of the hunters where these shit bags are going to be chained up. You start hearing some of the stories of people being savaged to death with a horse whip and a car battery while the biggest hill-billy rapes them and most of your poaching will go away.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have some pics of deer and an elk killed here ont he property so far. I'm tryin to post them but it keeps saying file is too large whn I go to post em. I don't know how to resize them. If I figure it out, I'll post them later..

As for poachers, I know what ya mean. We even had one shoot a pregnant beef cow with an arrow right before bow season started. The cow lived thankfully. The poacher was taken care of too. We confront poachers at least once a week usually with a "show" of force and tell them it is private property.. The crazy thing is, 9 out of 10 times, if someone calls or stops by and asks to hunt, we let them and sometimes tell them where we have seen the BIG ones lately.. Although this will be the last year for that. I am getting the hunting rights and going to start a hunt club here and offer guided hunts next year and will put a wildlife management system in place. I'm going to do pheasant and grouse hunts too. So far I have 3 members. I think I will do 25-30 "members" and then offer a few "pay per weekend" type hunts as well.. Then a few friends and family and should be set..
After the first of the year, I am going to get a few of those portable cabin type sheds and put a wood stove and few hundred gallon water tank to run off of solar for them to use. We have even talked doing a few "pioneering vacations' here on the ranch. It is a perfect location. It's 60,000 acres surrounded by a half million acres of BLM Monument area in the Upper Missouri River Breaks here in Montana.. I'm going to have a few members on here come hunt also. No charge obviously.. Anyone interested, let me know..

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Wood Food Building Event Cooking Plant Wood Branch Food Tree Plant Wood Branch Food Tree Working animal Snout Livestock Human leg Terrestrial animal These are the 'average" deer here. There were a few 32+ that were taken that I didn't get pics of... The one is a cow elk taken by a female member of the family. She has killed an elk every year for the past 15yrs..

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sort of on the fence about trophy hunting. I make jerky and eat ground venison out of my deer. If it happens to have a good rack, yay for me. Last year though I shot a big bodied 2.5 year old deer with a tiny rack. If a trophy hunter plants food plots, buys a license, pays for a lease or buys land, donates the meat to hunters for the hungry and buys tons of hunting gear I think that's OK too. All that money supports local businesses and a percentage of sporting goods sales and license sales go to conservation, They only shoot old deer as a rule too.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
...just because it was easy to get the first couple and people didn't realize that they needed to conserve all the resources at the beginning of the prep. This is the reason why so my people are truly ill prepared for a disaster scenario...
Prepping is 99% mental and 1% all that other shit - equipment, gear, guns, bags, locations, flares, camo, food, etc.

Reactions: inceptor

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'm sort of on the fence about trophy hunting. I make jerky and eat ground venison out of my deer. If it happens to have a good rack, yay for me. Last year though I shot a big bodied 2.5 year old deer with a tiny rack. If a trophy hunter plants food plots, buys a license, pays for a lease or buys land, donates the meat to hunters for the hungry and buys tons of hunting gear I think that's OK too. All that money supports local businesses and a percentage of sporting goods sales and license sales go to conservation, They only shoot old deer as a rule too.
Same here. Not much of a trophy hunter myself. I used to go for the big racks, now I would just assume get me a nice doe for the meat. If I happen to see a nice buck. Bad luck got him. I'm not out looking for racks anymore. You can't eat the rack!!

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have alot of family in Oregon and they take elk every year. I have had whitetail and can make it very palatable, I have had elk and it's delicious as is (my aunt cans it in Mason jars). I have never eaten mule deer. Does it compare more to elk or is it more similar to whitetail?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
More similar to whitetail.. We are lucky, we have whitetail and mule deer both here. Elk is my favorite. I tell people that haven't had it that it tastes kinda like sweet beef. It is absolutely awesome.. I haven't canned it before but want to try it this year. Most of my wild game except for the backstrap and tenderloins I either grind up,smoke or turn into sausage..

·
Registered
249 Posts
Earlier this season we discovered deer on our property that road hunters with spotlights had shot, decapitated and left for the buzzards. They left every bit of meat on the ground. You can imagine how infuriating this is. I received a phone call the other night and was advised that our local TWRA agent had made two arrests in the case and seized guns and a vehicle. I just want to express my gratitude to the fine wildlife agents out there. You are appreciated!

I am also happy to report that despite their nocturnal activities the poaching pieces of fecal matter failed to kill the two largest bucks on the property. One was taken on opening day of our primitive firearms season and I bagged the second biggest on a cold Thanksgiving morning yesterday! These are just a couple small blessings I can count in a life full of them.

I have reported poaching on state land to the Michigan Dept. of Natural Resources, and they do absolutely nothing. They've hassled me and gave me a ticket for not wearing a helmet on an ATV. I wasn't even riding the ATV, it was parked on private property. $60 fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts