Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Is anyone else as excited about the up coming season as much as I am?

I am about 3 weeks away from starting some of my seeds so I can get a jump start as soon as the last frost is done and gone for the year. I am also adding a lot more varieties of Heirloom veggies to the garden this year thankfully. Not as many as I would like but I am slowly but surely getting there!

Going to try some new things this season as well. In the past I have grown some Snow Peas, but this coming season we are going to be doing some Bush and Pole Beans. I am also going to try some Guerrilla Gardening in a near by vacant wood lot as well. I figure that things like Okra and Honey Dew Melons would do well under such conditions. That ought to prove to be interesting. Of course I am going to plant about a dozen more fruit trees at the BOL as well to bolster my efforts there further. This year though I will be concentrating more on staggering the harvest times on the fruit more so than just getting in shear numbers so I am not so over whelmed all at once with ripe fruit. That ought to take me up to about 36-42 fruit and nut trees total (man the deer and hogs are going to love my place!).

So far here are some of the veggies I will be growing...

Touchon Carrot
Black Beauty Egg Plant
Kentucky Wonder Beans
Minowase Diacon Radish
Pinto Beans
Top Crop Beans
Yellow Crook Neck Squash
Cal Wonder Red Bell Pepper
Melting Sugar Snow Peas
Yellow Pear Tomato
San Marzano Tomato
Black Krim Tomato
Brandywine Tomato
Okra
Honey Dew Mellon
Various Herbs

What varieties are you planning to grow this up coming season?

What Gardening Projects do you have planned for the up coming season?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I always get excited around this time of year about planting season coming up soon. I built a greenhouse (our old one finally collapsed two years ago) last fall and I'm planning to get an early start on the cold temperature crops sometime during the first two weeks of February. We broke ground for a new 100' x 200' veggie garden last summer and it is presently under about 6" of chopped straw and chopped corn stalks. It will be tilled under as soon as the ground is workable. The location of our new garden is close to our pond where I can pump water during the dry months. I also have two other old gardens (+/- 60' x 40' each) and one is designated to become our strawberry patch and one will be used for popcorn. I will use part of the strawberry garden for my heirloom tomatoes also as 60' x 40' is too big for the amount of strawberry plants I have on order and I like to keep my heirloom tomatoes as far away from the hybrids as possible. The hybrids will go in the new garden and it's about 400' from the old gardens.

Between the gardens, orchard, lake, chickens, rabbits, goats, and honey bees we are very self sufficient. We butcher one hog and one cow at our neighbor's farm each year and we're all set for food. But we still make one trip to the city each month for other stuff and to get away from the farm for a day. We usually go to a grocery store, Rural King farm supply, the gun shop, a movie, and lunch. That's our big entertainment budget for the month. Whoopie!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rural King!! My most fav place!!! We are rural midwest also and cant wait to start my seeds.. I did start a small batch of seeds extra early, as I am attempting to start my first aquaponics indoor system! I am excited to get it up and running. I am sure that once I get it up and going it will be a major habit and I will want more!! I am a garden junky and a huge fresh and brackish water fish junky! Have experience in both so we will see how it goes! I always start seeds early, using only heirloom and sometimes heirloom organic seeds. I save batches of seeds each year from my veggies. The early seeds I just started are from last seasons veggies.. Last year I contained myself and didnt plant as much, but the year before I was definitley out of control and my husband about put me in the ground!!!:) I had just in tomato plants 48!!! not mention ALL the other goodies that you have to have!!! We have a teacup potbelly member of our family who is mostly veggie fed (some protien ie:fish)and thought the aquaponics sytem would keep her fed thru winter months as well as the family.. Excited, excited!!

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
Walmart already has vegatable seeds and starting material on their shelves. We're about a month and a half away from when the ground will accept the early plants

1 - 5 of 5 Posts