Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my very first SKS yesterday at a gun show! Needed a lot of cleaning, needs to be re-blued but I'm excited. Bought the Tapco 20 rd mag to try out. Anyone have any thoughts/experience with the aftermarket mags in an SKS? Can't wait to shoot it!
image.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to sound like a smarta$$ but Tapco is American made and from the way it sounds it can't be more than 10 foreign parts?? Also I never said I was making tons of modifications...my only plans for the gun is the new mag for target shooting and a new dust cover so I can add a scope for hunting for use with original 10 round piece. Shouldn't make assumptions.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
There are a lot on mind readers on the internet. Nice SKS. Never buy cheap American made magazines when you are going to battle, they won't last, the only good mag is steel, I heard that on the internet too, so it has to be true.

On a side note, many states say 5 shot or less on mag capacity for hunting, check your state reg's on that.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Have never tried after market magazines on any of our SKS's. They (the rifles) are fun to shoot, reliable as a pet rock, fairly accurate and Mrs retired guards favorite rifle. Enjoy yours.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ekim! Well I also bought a metal mag but I don't know a lot about the aftermarket mags for this gun. When I first put the metal one in it fit just fine but I tried dry firing it and the trigger would not move. I'm not sure if that's just something the gun won't let you do with an empty mag or not. I live in KY as well FYI

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I've only looked at SKS's so I can't help on your issue about not firing but I'm sure you will figure it out.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Not to sound like a smarta$$ but Tapco is American made and from the way it sounds it can't be more than 10 foreign parts?? Also I never said I was making tons of modifications...my only plans for the gun is the new mag for target shooting and a new dust cover so I can add a scope for hunting for use with original 10 round piece. Shouldn't make assumptions.
Boy! What did I say to piss you off? You hurt my feelings. :cry: Just trying to be helpful and make you aware that changing parts even a mag can get you into trouble. Carry on!.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I thought about extra mags for my sks, but stripper clips load fast also, maybe faster and take up less space. Unless you have a converted mag well to accept ak mags. I actually like not having the honking mag hanging off the bottom. I'm funny that way.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Got my very first SKS yesterday at a gun show! Needed a lot of cleaning, needs to be re-blued but I'm excited. Bought the Tapco 20 rd mag to try out. Anyone have any thoughts/experience with the aftermarket mags in an SKS? Can't wait to shoot it!
View attachment 3253
No experience with the aftermarket mags but I do have experience with the Yugo SKS. You'll love that rifle, they shoot great and no recoil to speak of. I love mine.

-Infidel

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I have a Russian and Chinese SKS and both are good shooters, no mods yet.
Enjoy your new SKS!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I like stripper clips. I don't currently own an SKS, but I have owned a Russian and a Yugo in the past. The high capacity mags work, but can't be changed out real quick because you have to pull back the latch while seating the mag with the other hand, stripper clips can be loaded one handed quicker and can also be used to reload AK mags if you have the guide. An SKS should fire with an empty chamber if the safety is off.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I like stripper clips. I don't currently own an SKS, but I have owned a Russian and a Yugo in the past. The high capacity mags work, but can't be changed out real quick because you have to pull back the latch while seating the mag with the other hand, stripper clips can be loaded one handed quicker and can also be used to reload AK mags if you have the guide. An SKS should fire with an empty chamber if the safety is off.
How do you fire with an empty chamber?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My hubby has 2 SKS's so we have several stripper clips already. We really just wanted to play with this one a bit and try the different mags. I'll let ya know how things work once I get a chance to fire it.

·
Administrator
15,108 Posts
I was given as a gift a Norinco (Chinese) SKS with synthetic folding stock and duck-bill 30 round magazines. Luckily all the original parts came with it and it wasn't long before I put them back on. Sling, bayonet, everything. No aftermarket sights, no tacticrap whatsoever.
I have plenty of stripper clips and even have some Russian surplus ammo that came on clips.
I really like it, good intermediate round, takes a lot of abuse to mess one up.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
To those of you who say the SKS has "acceptable" or "pretty good" accuracy I would like to hear what that means.
I own two SKS's and one has been cannibalized to be transformed into a 357 Maximum carbine due, in part to poor accuracy. The other is just a tad better but still has less than what I consider "acceptable" accuracy.
So what is the group sizes at 100 yards (average - not your best)?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
You don't buy a SKS for accuracy, if it hit's a man size target at 100 yards, it's doing what it is designed to do. You want accuracy, buy a target rifle. You want a rifle that is rugged, works, and will put rounds down range than a SKS will fit the bill. Don't modify them because you will lose reliability. If I want to put pretty little clover leafs on paper..accuracy international. If I want to raise hell on (zombies) in the streets and be not afraid to walk away from the weapon after I'm done with it...SKS.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts