Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to look at 1911's as a secondary pistol, I am looking to get one once my tax returns come in (if our economy lasts that long). I have found a few under $500 and was wondering if anyone could tell me if they are a good buy or should I just spend a little more money to get a good quality 1911. I am pretty dead set on getting a .45ACP 1911, I already have a 9mm and want a diverse selection of gun calibers.

This is the 1911 I have been looking at:
1911 .45 ACP Rock Island Tactical with Matte Black Finish #AC-RI1911TACA - $419.99 + Free Shipping | Slickguns

·
Registered
570 Posts
When it comes to 1911s, you'll typically hear that you get what you pay for. That said, I purchased a Para USA GI Expert a few years back for $500 brand new, and it was a great gun from the first trigger pull. I'd advise saving your pennies and getting something a little bit less economy-model, but it's up to you. Just make sure you don't go cheap on magazines. Chip McCormick or Wilson Combat are the only ways to go when it comes to 1911s.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
1911's are nice guns and they're fun to shoot however, I stayed away from them because;

1. mixing up different platforms makes it too likely for my taste, that I may forget to disengage the safety if it were ever needed quickly for defense.
2. I like a point & shoot platform, whatever I'm carrying at any moment does not have a safety engaged. To me safety means "keep your bugger hooks off the bang switch until you're ready to shoot".
3. I want my family members, who may not be gun enthusiasts, to be able to pick any my handguns and use it if need be. This means "point & shoot". Therefore, all my handguns are either SA/DA or DAO.

If you're familiar with a single action only platform and are sure your family members can also handle it, then by all means go for it.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I have started to look at 1911's as a secondary pistol, I am looking to get one once my tax returns come in (if our economy lasts that long). I have found a few under $500 and was wondering if anyone could tell me if they are a good buy or should I just spend a little more money to get a good quality 1911. I am pretty dead set on getting a .45ACP 1911, I already have a 9mm and want a diverse selection of gun calibers.

This is the 1911 I have been looking at:
1911 .45 ACP Rock Island Tactical with Matte Black Finish #AC-RI1911TACA - $419.99 + Free Shipping | Slickguns
Are you left or right handed?

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
I became a fan of the 1911s after I left the U.S. Army, where I carried one every day. Turns out they are really nice weapons if yours isn't a well-worn piece from wars gone by.

Mine is a Taurus 1911AR. It has surprised the crap out of Kimber owners, and that is straight out of the box. It, like all 1911s, are not complicated. Flip the safety off and pull the trigger. My 1911 has a magazine in the well, a round in the chamber, the hammer is back and the safety is engaged.

My wife, new to handguns until we married a year and a half ago, found it to be incredibly easy to engage and is a very nice shot. Then again, I have noticed she is very good with all my handguns. Kind of keeps me in line.

I am very glad I reacquainted myself with the 1911 frame and am equally glad I picked the Taurus model.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy it and never have to use it in a stressful situation.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I've heard good thing about RIAs. Sposed to be a pretty dependable gun for the price. 1911s have the best triggers of any firearm. They are also very accurate and aim very naturally. You do have to have some wrist strength to shoot them though. It also helps if you like to work on your guns. 1911s are a shooters gun and require more maintanence than others. Watch out though. Playing with 1911s can become an addiction.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I have a Taurus PT1911, which would more or less fit your budget, and I love it. So far, with a few hundred rounds through it, it has performed flawlessly. My only complaint is that the safety was really stiff and hard to engage at first. It broke in soon enough, however, and works fine now.

I learned on a 1911 and have never really carried anything else in over 30 years. Carrying a loaded weapon with the hammer back and safety on takes a bit of getting used to, but I think it actually makes it obvious that the thing is loaded and dangerous. The lighter trigger pull of a single action only handgun makes them more accurate and there is no double action to single action transition to contend with.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I have a standard RIA and a commander ATI, . . . both of which are solid, . . . economy weapons. RIA has an excellent customer relations dept, . . . and at least one of their reps can be found lingering around over on 1911.com in the section for the different makers.

If this is your first 1911, though, . . . for a little bit more money, . . . you can go up to a Springfield, . . . which today is very hard to beat for the money, . . . and you can even buy a used Springer and not have to worry. Their warranty is like forever on the weapon, . . . no matter who owns it.

I've owned 2 springfields, . . . never had any problem with either, . . . would have kept them if the economy were better.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
If you are going to buy a cheap 1911 I would at least consider spending a few bucks more and buying it from Davidson's, they have a great warranty if you have a problem they give you a different gun. There are some Turkish companies right now putting out some great weapons at really good prices Sarsilmaz (makes the Armalight AR24) and Canik55 are two I have heard good things about, and I own two Sarsilmaz pistols.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
When it comes to 1911s, you'll typically hear that you get what you pay for. That said, I purchased a Para USA GI Expert a few years back for $500 brand new, and it was a great gun from the first trigger pull. I'd advise saving your pennies and getting something a little bit less economy-model, but it's up to you. Just make sure you don't go cheap on magazines. Chip McCormick or Wilson Combat are the only ways to go when it comes to 1911s.
I agree Alpha-17 on the magazines, I use Wilson Combat in my 1911. As far as Rock Island, I have a friend with one and loves his.

·
Registered
16 Posts
1911's are fun accurate weapons and affordable for the most part. if the SHTF its the last gun i would grab if i didnt know when i would be be able to service or clean it next. Thats a scary proposition. Wouldnt you want a gun that could eat thousands upon thousands of rounds with no cleaning and still be confident it was gonna work? thats NOT a 1911.
That being said if your stuck on one as a SHTF gun go springfield, the frame is actually forged steel, taurus and kimbers are MIM frames (metal injection molded or die cast) great for hot wheels cars not so much for a tool to keep you alive. RIA is forged also. The RIA will take some work outta the box to make it run "reliably" but any 1911 will take 500 rounds to break it in.

·
Administrator
15,411 Posts
I have owned Colts since the early 70's. First a Commander which got away, then a Series 70 Government Model which I still have. That was later joined by a Colt Series 80 Commander, a Taurus PT1911, and a Rock Island Armory Government Model.
I like them all, all work fine because they did not stray very far from John Browning's masterpiece (actually the 70 Series Colt IS the same).
Another 1911A1 that was not mentioned is Auto Ordnance - a friend has a plain USGI model and it works fine. Springfield government models are solid.
I'm left handed, but have found that sweeping the standard safety off with my left thumb is easy. Lefties have spent our whole lives learning to improvise, adapt, and over come. While convienent, ambidextorous safeties are not actually essential.
Novak magazines work well also. Just avoid the $7.99 "government issue" mags. And beware - some knock offs actually have the Colt name on the bottom, but if there is not the trademark horse on there as well they are not real Colts.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would agree with BFMike totally. I would leave a 1911 in the safe if I had to go. My go to 45 is a full size M&P45. That being said if I was considering a 1911 I would strongly consider the Ruger SR1911. My LGS sells them for $680, so just a little extra in your budget will land you one.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
1911 - cute & nostalgic, at least it's a .45, usually can be made to have a very nice trigger pull through mods. Twice the price to get equal quality.
Glock 21 - almost twice the firepower (13 vs 7 rounds), 100% resistant to corrosion, better engineering.
Glock 30 - STILL more firepower (10 vs 7), can happily use G21 magazines as a backup gun, smaller, weighs less, significantly easier for CCW.

Practical real world function vs nostalgia.

Tough choice??? Nostalgia is cute and dandy in your wife's photo album. When we're talking about defending your life. :?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I went through this exercise several weeks ago but other thing came up and never got around to buying one.

My dealer recommends a Springfield.

There are a number of variations that say "military spec." However if you are changing size and caliber the tolerances do not translate to a good weapon except for the metal the components are fashioned from. Since you are sticking with a 45 you should not have a problem.

I would buy Ruger:

Ruger® SR1911® Centerfire Pistol Models

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I don't think the OP was asking what the best bug-out pistol was. They seem to already have a go-to, and for all we know it's <insert your favorite gun here>.

I can't speak from experience on the Rock Islands, I'm partial to Kimber and Wilson Combat. That aside, I know a few folks who have RIA in their arsenal and they say it's a great pistol for the price. That's not a whole lot to go on, but fwiw.

·
Registered
965 Posts
1911's are fun accurate weapons and affordable for the most part. if the SHTF its the last gun i would grab if i didnt know when i would be be able to service or clean it next. Thats a scary proposition. Wouldnt you want a gun that could eat thousands upon thousands of rounds with no cleaning and still be confident it was gonna work? thats NOT a 1911.
That being said if your stuck on one as a SHTF gun go springfield, the frame is actually forged steel, taurus and kimbers are MIM frames (metal injection molded or die cast) great for hot wheels cars not so much for a tool to keep you alive. RIA is forged also. The RIA will take some work outta the box to make it run "reliably" but any 1911 will take 500 rounds to break it in.
This isn't even close to being true.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts