Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a 1911? If so, what do you have?

I purchased a Colt Commander LWT XSE which I really like. A few months ago, my son gave me a Kimber Tactical II with a CT laser. The Kimber is heaver but I really like the way it shoots. I'm looking forward to cooler temperatures so I can wear heaver clothing that will conceal both.

Mike

·
Administrator
15,385 Posts
Colt 70 Series MkIV Government Model, Colt 80 Series Commander, Rock Island Armory Government Model, Taurus PT1911.
All are 45 ACP caliber. I sometimes carry my Commander in an inside-the-waistband holster under an untucked shirt. But our area is not known for much violent crime, so mostly it's just a J-frame snub nose 357 magnum in my front pocket.

·
Administrator
15,385 Posts
I just wanted to try different weapons/carrys when I first got my license so I have not invested in quality holsters. I got a Blackhawk soft nylon-type stuff IWB for a 5" automatic. Actually, it's not too bad with a Walther P38. Sitting down with a full size 1911 is a pinch, though.
I'm thinking about a Galco leather IWB for the Colt.
Sometimes I wear my J frame 357 in an Uncle Mikes nylon belt holster with one HKS speedloader as a back up and a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special in my front pocket.
I'm not a Glockmeister, I'm just working with what I have. A Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum is hard to conceal, though.:-D

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
A new friend brought over a Dan Wesson aluminum 45, I was keyholing the shots on the 1 mag I shot. I need one now. He also brought over a SIG/ Sauer AR, I need one of those also.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just bought the wife a full size Sig 1911 STX model. WOW i gotta get me one now!! AMAZING weapon.

She has only ever fired a 1911 1 time before, and only put maybe 14 rounds thru it. After her CCW class (which she passed easily) She finally got to shoot her new weapon. The first mag all hit the target, but was kinda all overish... the second mag and she was confortable with it.

Of the first 16 rounds (2mags) she fired i watched her put 8 rounds in an area of roughly 2 inches low right a bit. She is NOT regular shooter and maybe shoots a couple hundred rounds a year.

So when SHTF i will load mags and let her do the shooting i think. =)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love both of my 1911's. I went to the range yesterday and took my Kimber. Damn fine weapon. I took my Glock 36 and Colt LE 6920 AR. The AR is a fantastic weapon. Very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Rock Island 1911 Compact. Nice gun, if you want to hit anything over 25yds. good luck though. But most self defense situations happen within 3 feet so no worries there. She's my good little truck gun always in my custom made pouch on the front of my bench seat. Hope no idiot ever tries to steal my truck. Big mistake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Sig Ultra Compact 1911. It was my primary carry gun until I picked up a XDS-45.
I still like to shoot my Sig, it just doesn't go everywhere with me like it used to.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a Kimber Custom TLE II that I've had for several years. I've been carrying it almost daily wherever legal to do so since I got my CHL about 3 and a half years ago. I usually carry it in a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster, but I also sometimes use a Galco Avenger OWB holster. I use the OWB holster at the range and for training and out in the field hiking, etc. I recently purchased a Galco Miami Classic II shoulder holster for it, which I really like! The shoulder holster is rapidly becoming my favorite for when I am going to be sitting for a long time or for driving and motorcycle riding.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
god, mossberg, id be so scared to let some one close to me specially closer than 10 feet. i was reading somewhere. prolly labusas that a person can go 10 feet in one move!

geewiz, dutch sure is nice!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have two a Springfield Loaded model (full size) made in 2004 and my daily carry gun an Armscor/RIA 1911 CS (compact version). Both have night Novak Trijicon night sights and both are excellent guns.

·
Registered
243 Posts
god, mossberg, id be so scared to let some one close to me specially closer than 10 feet. i was reading somewhere. prolly labusas that a person can go 10 feet in one move!

geewiz, dutch sure is nice!
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I felt this comment needed a reply! Actually, you should keep your SA (situational awareness) up and don't let anyone you are suspicious of within 21 feet of you. The average person can cover 21 feet in one and a half seconds! 10 feet is WAY too close! Our local police department must qualify by being able to draw and fire two well aimed shots within 1.5 seconds, just as a point of info. So always be aware of your surroundings and do not let a potential threat get anywhere close to you. Just my .02.:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have never gotten over the 1911 since my competition days.

SA TRP Operator

SA SS TRP, Wish I had this when I was shooting IPSC

SA LW Compact (2nd Gen)

Lhama 9MM compact 1911 made for the Royal Jordanian AF (NIB)

Recently found the elusive Colt 1911 in .38 Super and had to have it. Presently at the GS for some upgrades.

After a number of attempts to convince myself I could deal with a DA only CCW pistol I gave up and bought a Colt Subcompact New Agent. *Note pic is borrowed from the net as I haven't had the upgrades to this done yet.

Now to buy a Pact Timer and get back into comp form.

Karsten

·
Registered
126 Posts
My daily carry is a Dan Wesson CBOB that I mostly wear in a Crossbreed Supertuck (of which I removed quite a bit of leather that I found unnecessary) and sometimes in a custom by Northstar Holsters. Both of these have left plenty of holster marks on the gun but I really don't care anymore, it is a tool after all. Grips are genuine prairie rattlesnake skin handmade by Ryan Payne and my initials were engraved on the slide by Brian Powley. Ammunition of choice is 185gr Remington Golden Saber.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts