Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious. I own a 1911. It's nothing fancy. A Remington 1911R1 in .45 ACP. Just meat and potatoes. I have a few friends that give me a ration of crap for not going with a Glock. But, the 1911 has been a tried and true design that has stayed, virtually, the same for over 100 years. Yes it only has a seven round magazine, and a good number of Glocks have double that. I have always had a fascination with a 1911, since I was a kid. And, besides, I always carry extra mags when carry. So, let's hear your preferences and the reason behind it.

· Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
11,575 Posts
I continue to get my kicks by exchanging with the ChatGPT AI chat bot.
I will copy/paste my interaction with it concerning this topic. I tried to keep my questions completely objective so as to not influence the bot's response.

Me:🤠
Which firearm is objectively functionally superior between the Colt Commander 1911 and the Glock 19? Please provide category or parts breakdowns where applicable.

Bot:🤖
It's challenging to declare one firearm objectively functionally superior over the other as both the Colt Commander 1911 and Glock 19 are excellent firearms, and their performance depends on various factors such as personal preference, use-case scenarios, and user's proficiency. However, we can compare them based on certain categories to get a better idea of their respective strengths and weaknesses.

Design and Ergonomics:
The Colt Commander 1911 has a classic design that has been around for over a century, and its ergonomic grip angle and thin profile make it comfortable to hold and shoot. The slide is also relatively easy to manipulate due to the pistol's design, and the single-action trigger provides a crisp, consistent pull. On the other hand, the Glock 19's design is more modern and is characterized by its polymer frame and striker-fired trigger system. The Glock has a wider grip and a more pronounced grip angle than the Colt, which some people might find less comfortable. However, the Glock 19's ergonomic design allows for easy customization with interchangeable backstraps, and it has a lower bore axis that reduces muzzle rise during firing.

Reliability and Durability:
Both the Colt Commander 1911 and Glock 19 are known for their reliability and durability. The 1911's steel construction and high-quality internal components contribute to its long-lasting performance, and the gun's design allows for easy maintenance and cleaning. However, the 1911's single-stack magazine capacity and complex manual of arms can make it less reliable in certain situations. On the other hand, the Glock 19's polymer construction and simple design make it less prone to malfunctions and easier to maintain. The gun's double-stack magazine capacity also gives it an advantage over the 1911 in terms of ammunition capacity.

Accuracy and Recoil:
Both the Colt Commander 1911 and Glock 19 are capable of producing accurate shots, but there are some differences in terms of recoil. The 1911's heavy steel construction and single-action trigger system make it easier to control during firing, resulting in less perceived recoil. However, the 1911's recoil can also be more pronounced due to its straight-back design. The Glock 19's polymer construction and striker-fired trigger system make it less heavy, resulting in more perceived recoil. However, the gun's lower bore axis reduces muzzle rise during firing, making it easier to control during rapid fire.

Price and Availability:
The Colt Commander 1911 is generally more expensive than the Glock 19 due to its high-quality construction and classic design. Additionally, finding replacement parts or magazines for the 1911 can be more challenging than for the Glock due to its relatively low production volume. The Glock 19, on the other hand, is widely available and has a relatively low price point, making it an excellent choice for those on a budget.

In conclusion, both the Colt Commander 1911 and Glock 19 are excellent firearms that have their respective strengths and weaknesses. Choosing between them ultimately depends on your personal preference and use-case scenarios. If you prefer a classic design and are willing to spend more money, the Colt Commander 1911 might be the right choice for you. If you prefer a modern design, want a firearm that's easy to maintain, and value ammunition capacity, the Glock 19 might be the better choice.

🤠:
With the points provided above, if a person required one of these handguns for self defense, which would be more appropriate for the task?

🤖:
Both the Colt Commander 1911 and Glock 19 are suitable for self-defense, and the choice ultimately depends on personal preference and use-case scenarios. However, there are a few factors to consider when selecting a firearm for self-defense.

Reliability: In a self-defense scenario, the firearm must be reliable and not prone to malfunctions. Both the Colt Commander 1911 and Glock 19 are known for their reliability, but the Glock 19's simple design and fewer moving parts make it less prone to malfunctions. Therefore, the Glock 19 might be a more reliable choice for self-defense.

Magazine Capacity: In a self-defense situation, the number of rounds you have available can be critical. The Colt Commander 1911 typically has a magazine capacity of 7-8 rounds, while the Glock 19 has a magazine capacity of 15-17 rounds. Therefore, the Glock 19 provides more ammunition capacity, which can be a significant advantage in a self-defense scenario.

Ease of Use: In a self-defense scenario, the firearm must be easy to use and operate, even under stress. The Glock 19 has a simpler design and manual of arms than the Colt Commander 1911, making it easier to use and operate, particularly for inexperienced shooters.

Based on the above factors, the Glock 19 might be a more appropriate choice for self-defense due to its reliability, high magazine capacity, and ease of use. However, it's important to note that the most important factor when selecting a firearm for self-defense is your comfort and proficiency with the firearm. Ultimately, the best firearm for self-defense is the one you feel most comfortable and confident using. It's essential to practice regularly with your chosen firearm and seek professional training to ensure you can use it effectively in a self-defense scenario.

🤠:
Between the two firearms being discussed, if a major superpower was pulled into another world war, which of these two options would be better suited for issuing to enlisted soldiers?

🤖:
If a major superpower were pulled into another world war, the choice of a firearm for issuing to enlisted soldiers would depend on various factors, such as the tactical situation, the mission objectives, and the available resources.

However, considering the following factors, the Glock 19 might be a better-suited option for issuing to enlisted soldiers:

Reliability and Durability: In a wartime scenario, firearms must be reliable and durable to withstand the rigors of combat. The Glock 19's simple design and polymer construction make it less prone to malfunctions, and it can endure harsh conditions better than the Colt Commander 1911's steel construction.

Ammunition Capacity: In a wartime scenario, ammunition capacity is critical, and the Glock 19's double-stack magazine capacity of 15-17 rounds provides more firepower than the Colt Commander 1911's single-stack magazine capacity of 7-8 rounds.

Ease of Maintenance: In a wartime scenario, firearms must be easy to maintain, as soldiers might not have access to specialized equipment or gunsmiths. The Glock 19's simple design and fewer moving parts make it easier to maintain than the Colt Commander 1911.

Availability and Production Volume: The Glock 19 is produced in larger quantities than the Colt Commander 1911, making it easier to procure and replace in the event of loss or damage during combat.

Considering the above factors, the Glock 19 might be a better-suited option for issuing to enlisted soldiers in a wartime scenario. However, it's important to note that there is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to firearms selection, and different scenarios might call for different firearms based on various factors.

🤠:
Based on the above points, which of the two firearms would likely be a better choice for a person new to firearms?

🤖:
If a person is new to firearms, the Glock 19 might be a better choice between the two firearms, based on the following factors:

Simplicity of Design: The Glock 19 has a simpler design than the Colt Commander 1911, with fewer parts and controls. This simplicity makes it easier for a new shooter to learn and operate, reducing the learning curve.

Magazine Capacity: The Glock 19 has a higher magazine capacity than the Colt Commander 1911, which means that the shooter can shoot more rounds before reloading, which can provide more time to focus on developing shooting skills.

Availability and Cost: The Glock 19 is widely available and generally more affordable than the Colt Commander 1911. This makes it easier for a new shooter to purchase and maintain.

Ease of Maintenance: The Glock 19 is easier to maintain than the Colt Commander 1911, with fewer parts and a simpler design. This can make it easier for a new shooter to learn how to maintain and care for their firearm.

While both firearms are suitable for beginners, the Glock 19's simpler design, higher magazine capacity, availability, affordability, and ease of maintenance make it a better option for a person new to firearms. However, it's essential to note that new shooters should receive professional training and practice regularly with their chosen firearm to develop their skills and ensure they can use it safely and effectively.

🤠:
Based on the above points, which of the two firearms would likely be a better choice for a person getting into competition shooting sports?

🤖:
If a person is getting into competition shooting sports, the Colt Commander 1911 might be a better choice between the two firearms, based on the following factors:

Trigger: The Colt Commander 1911 has a crisp, clean trigger with a short reset, which can help a shooter achieve better accuracy and faster shot times.

Accuracy: The Colt Commander 1911 is known for its accuracy and is often used in competition shooting sports.

Recoil Management: The Colt Commander 1911 has a heavier weight and lower bore axis than the Glock 19, which can help to manage recoil and improve accuracy.

Customization: The Colt Commander 1911 is highly customizable, with many aftermarket parts available to tune the firearm to the shooter's preferences and needs.

While the Glock 19 is also suitable for competition shooting sports, the Colt Commander 1911's trigger, accuracy, recoil management, and customization options make it a better option for a person getting into competition shooting sports. However, it's important to note that each person's needs and preferences may vary, and they should try out different firearms to see which one suits them best. Additionally, in some competition shooting sports, there may be specific rules and regulations regarding the type of firearm allowed, so it's essential to research the rules before selecting a firearm for competition.

🤠:
If you had to summarize all of the above points, and coalesce them down into a single answer, which of the two firearms would be the objectively better choice?

🤖:
It's challenging to determine an objectively better choice between the Colt Commander 1911 and the Glock 19, as the suitability of a firearm depends on various factors, such as the intended use, personal preferences, and skill level of the user.

Both firearms have their strengths and weaknesses, and the choice between them would depend on the user's specific needs and circumstances.

If the user requires a firearm for self-defense, the Glock 19 might be a better choice due to its reliability, ammunition capacity, ease of maintenance, and availability.

If the user is new to firearms, the Glock 19 might be a better choice due to its simplicity, affordability, ease of maintenance, and availability.

If the user is getting into competition shooting sports, the Colt Commander 1911 might be a better choice due to its trigger, accuracy, recoil management, and customization options.

Therefore, the choice of a firearm between the Colt Commander 1911 and the Glock 19 depends on the user's specific needs and circumstances, and there is no one-size-fits-all solution.

🤠:
If you had to keep your response concise, to just a single answer between the two firearms, which would be better for the general person?

🤖:
If I had to keep my response concise to a single answer, the Glock 19 would be a better choice for the general person, due to its reliability, versatility, ease of use, and affordability. The Glock 19's simpler design, higher magazine capacity, and availability make it a great choice for a wide range of users, including beginners, experienced shooters, and those looking for a reliable self-defense firearm.
The bot was very careful to always offer an opposing benefit to each firearm where one existed.
The bot takes no sides.

There... that should be sufficient fuel for this fire. :p

· Registered
574 Posts
1911 vs. Glock. Which one do you prefer? Why?
...that's worse than talking about politics at a cocktail party

For me: It depends on the situation. I prefer a 1911 when the situation calls for found memories, great looks and all around 'God Bless America'ness. In the real world, if I'm worried I might get in an actual gun fight, I prefer striker fired .40 S&W. When the SHTF again and we're facing the next 2020-2022 style crises I prefer a Glock/Glock clone 9mm.

Over the last two years, when nothing else was available I could still find all the 9mm ammo, Glock clones and parts I needed. Glocks aren't my preferred pistol and 9mm isn't my preferred caliber but I'd be a fool to not have them stocked up for the inevitable future we're facing.

P.S. I don't own a Glock but I own several 80% Glock clones that take Glock parts. ...I've also got several 3D printed Glock clones and AR receivers that I printed just to make sure they work in case I need to do it the future.

· Registered
993 Posts
I'm just curious. I own a 1911. It's nothing fancy. A Remington 1911R1 in .45 ACP. Just meat and potatoes. I have a few friends that give me a ration of crap for not going with a Glock. But, the 1911 has been a tried and true design that has stayed, virtually, the same for over 100 years. Yes it only has a seven round magazine, and a good number of Glocks have double that. I have always had a fascination with a 1911, since I was a kid. And, besides, I always carry extra mags when carry. So, let's hear your preferences and the reason behind it.
I have both but rarely shoot the 1911 because of the weight and limited number of rounds.

· Registered
11,390 Posts
1911s have too many flippers and flappers to worry about in a tense situation. Having been raised on DA six shooters. I much prefer my faithful old Sig P226 in forty cal. If a person dont want it to to go boom keep those booger hooks off the bang switch. I dont know anything about plastic guns.

· Registered
124 Posts
Haha so other folks post these too, huh?

Both. No joke. I love my 1911 & I love my glocks.

If I had the money, I'd have 6 Wilson or Dan Wesson 1911s.
Since I don't, I'm building a set of Glocks.

If you are of the mind of greater pistol care & value them as weapons and artwork combined, 1911s are more up your alley.

If you're looking for tools you're keen to abuse, or customize to your hearts context, then Glocks.

My .02

· Administrator
15,808 Posts
Glock? Who’s she? Never heard of her.

· Registered
203 Posts
There's no substitute for the confidence a Glock 20 in 10mm gives you. Dollar for dollar breath for breath it can't be beat.

· Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
11,575 Posts
I asked the bot about a wartime scenario.
🤠:
Between the two firearms being discussed, if a major superpower was pulled into another world war, which of these two options would be better suited for issuing to enlisted soldiers?

🤖:
If a major superpower were pulled into another world war, the choice of a firearm for issuing to enlisted soldiers would depend on various factors, such as the tactical situation, the mission objectives, and the available resources.

However, considering the following factors, the Glock 19 might be a better-suited option for issuing to enlisted soldiers:

Reliability and Durability: In a wartime scenario, firearms must be reliable and durable to withstand the rigors of combat. The Glock 19's simple design and polymer construction make it less prone to malfunctions, and it can endure harsh conditions better than the Colt Commander 1911's steel construction.

Ammunition Capacity: In a wartime scenario, ammunition capacity is critical, and the Glock 19's double-stack magazine capacity of 15-17 rounds provides more firepower than the Colt Commander 1911's single-stack magazine capacity of 7-8 rounds.

Ease of Maintenance: In a wartime scenario, firearms must be easy to maintain, as soldiers might not have access to specialized equipment or gunsmiths. The Glock 19's simple design and fewer moving parts make it easier to maintain than the Colt Commander 1911.

Availability and Production Volume: The Glock 19 is produced in larger quantities than the Colt Commander 1911, making it easier to procure and replace in the event of loss or damage during combat.

Considering the above factors, the Glock 19 might be a better-suited option for issuing to enlisted soldiers in a wartime scenario. However, it's important to note that there is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to firearms selection, and different scenarios might call for different firearms based on various factors.
Since Glock became so wildly popular, the world hasn't dared to start a full scale war.
Coincidence?🤔
I think not.
😛

1 - 20 of 44 Posts