1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
100 Posts
That is true...a pound of hamburger is now above $6.00 which is outrageous!!>..my family has adapted to eating ground chicken, pork and turkey. Yes because of cost, but there is tons less fat in it as well and the taste is great!!

·
Registered
24,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is true...a pound of hamburger is now above $6.00 which is outrageous!!>..my family has adapted to eating ground chicken, pork and turkey. Yes because of cost, but there is tons less fat in it as well and the taste is great!!
Man, about all we eat around here is chicken. Chicken and turkey. Fish, too, but not as much. Mostly chicken. As Jim Morrison sang, "I eat more chicken any man ever seen, oh yeah!"

·
Registered
100 Posts
lololol....Denton you poor bugger!!!..... I hear you!!!>....I am starting to wonder whether to crow or jump into the river and swim up stream when I wake up every day!!.....seriously though...try some ground pork.....good for spaghetti or meatloaf....I can just see us chatting about how we used to eat like kings before shtf!!!...lol

·
Registered
24,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I leave the pork for other people. :p

I am fortunate in that I live in a very rural part of the country. Fish, squirrel, rabbit, deer and a lot of forage area will certainly augment gardens, nut and fruit trees and a lot of stored food.

·
Registered
466 Posts
It is going to get much worse then most of you may think. My friend in Okla, is a rancher. He will not be able to afford feed for all the cattle over the winter, as cattle and chicken feed are the first to go with the draught. He will end up selling all his beef at a loss in the next few weeks and may not be able to afford new stock come early spring. He and sever hundred other ranchers just like him.

The corn crops are devistated along with wheat and many more things as well. Expect gas prices to also go up again, as there will only be much higher corn to add to the gas. It will get much much worst. Then with all the phony money the fed is putting into the system, inflation may go up so far by about 20% or more.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My wife is an extreme couponer. That has helped our grocery bill so much.
So is mine, many a time I come home with a kitchen counter filled with up to 40 jugs of laundry detergent or something else. This week it was 24 packs of 12-roll toilet paper. If she doesn't get it for 1/4 price or less she won't bother with it. Many times she comes home without spending anything. I keep looking for the police to show up one day.:eek:

1895gunner

·
Registered
292 Posts
This is one reason why I hope for the best and PREPARE for the worst! We will be adding a new flock of sheep on our homestead next month anywhere from 40 to 100 lambs. Just finished culling a few last month and boy they were (and still are tasty). Canning and preserving at today's prices will benefit most people graciously in the future.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Why I'm glad I don't have children. Kids today are worse to me understanding what things costs, who pays for it and where the money comes from. It's a fine reason for those without a garden to get one going too. Or expand on it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Inflation -- the hidden tax. They slowly keep raising prices -- no one complains -- then they raise them again. Drought, fuel prices, supply shortages, all driving prices up -- along with greed.

Worms and crickets are easy to catch -- and so are fish once you have them. Heart healthy, too. And it's free. Well, except for the cost of the gear and annual fishing license.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Why I'm glad I don't have children. Kids today are worse to me understanding what things costs, who pays for it and where the money comes from. It's a fine reason for those without a garden to get one going too. Or expand on it.
Kids are only bad with money when they are not taught its worth (yeah paper money is actually worthless but thats not the point). If a kid does not understand the value of a dollar the parent failed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts