Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bin going threw my inventory and just have that feeling im for getting some thing so I've bin reading a lot of the top 100 Items to Disappear First type pages just getting more ideas and it got me thinking what every one was stocking up on or planing on stocking up on ? Besides the standard stuff most people think of Eg.. Generators ,Water Filters/Purifiers, food , guns and so on just looking for some ideas is all?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Milk (i buy condensed and powdered milk), baby formula, diapers, liquor/wine/beer, cigarettes, tampons, and chocolate. Store the luxury items for barter.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Add, .22 LR, .223, and .308 to the list, if you learn one thing from current events, ammo should be on your list.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Add, .22 LR, .223, and .308 to the list, if you learn one thing from current events, ammo should be on your list.
Absolutely ammo should be on the list and should be in the top 10. I will say this is where it pays to have multiple calibers including less popular calibers. While .30 WCF ammo has all but disappeared from the shelves I can still get .35 Rem ammo on a fairly regular basis although it is a whole lot more expensive. .308 Win ammo has all but dried up but .30-06 Springfield is still available and .280 Rem is plentiful. The same can be said for .17HMR ammo, it's about the only rimfire ammo available here. Not to say you shouldn't have a .223 Rem or .308 Win but it's nice to have options.

-Infidel

·
Registered
438 Posts
Don't forget global things like transportation and health care. If/when SHTF, staying off current transportation arteries and out of medical trouble are going to be invaluable skills to any prepper.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Deffinately agree on the medical skills, trying to convince work to send a few supervisors to school for more training.
Medicine, I think im ok, if my bloodpressure meds run out, Im really borderline on needing them, and for "my brain pills", I have ran out before, It does leave me "feeling funny" for two days, but depression would be the least of my worries.
My vision is the next big Hurdle, going to get a new checkup in the very near future, and try to stock up on contacts, have one pair of glasses, Need to up the script and get new ones, but for sure pack the old spares.
Ammo, that is Gold, here at home, thank goodness for a few thousand .22's. Its out there, but people are being gouged over a barrel for it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ammo/guns, medical supplies, toiletries, firewood, propane/lamp oil, candles, batteries, flashlights, hand tools, clothing, etc. Some skills I'm trying to better myself in are medical care, sewing, candle making, survival cooking, canning, gardening, and leather working. I have my work cut out for me, to say the least!

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
True on the game dissaperaing, very quickly after the shtf. The only things keeping me from taking a monster buck twenty feet from a major road is my morals and the law, Seen him twice, within a stones throw from the road. Would be easy to sneak in and snipe him. Look everyday in the area, hoping he doesnt get hit by a truck. Plenty of others with him, right on the edge of town. I cant be the only one thats seen him. With no law or rule of law, Im sure he would be in the freezer.
And if its a sickness that causes the masses to drop, only time will tell if the wild animals get devasted to?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hmm top 100 or is it the first 100 to dissapear and odd item you may not think about.

Salt and Sugar will be HUGE for barter.
-Ammo .22
-Q-Tips, Soap
-Wet Wipes, the ones that are sealed will last a long time until opened.
-Spices
-Duck Tape
-Big Box building nails/spikes
-Big First Aide Kit
-Vitamin C
-Laxitives, Ducolax, Sennacots
-Sheets of good plywood
-Paracord/Rope
-Harmonica/Flute/Drum

Top 100 to be gone that some people will jones over.
Toilet paper
Alcohol
Cigarettes
Medicine (insulin), Narcotics.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
Spare parts for all of your gear that you have. Vehicles, Weapons, tools, electronics (remember not just your computer, but your radio's, and your cars all have electronic gear not to mention your cell phones

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm so ticked off over the ammo situation right now, it's not funny. You can NOT find .22 ammo anywhere. If you do, its from someone online, they are running $50 or more a 50 count box. They only shotgun shells on the shelf are skeet loads, and they have raised the price from $21 to around $27 a box.

I don't think top 100 can cover it, it's not going to matter what it is, it's going to be gone. Once the major items leave, they'll pick from the leftovers and it's a done deal.

Also, if you're not signed up, I've been storing Camel Snus. Camel will mail you coupons each month for a tin of Snus you can purchase for a $1.00 each. I usually get 2 or 3 coupons a month. That's alot cheaper than a pack of smokes. Serves the same purpose. Besides, if the SHTF, whose going to have the nerve to complain if they are jones'n for nicotine? (They'll keep in the fridge/freezer for a long period of time)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
One thing I haven't seen in this thread addressed specifically is OTC meds for dysentary. A true life saver.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
While its been touched on...hand tools and building supplies!

You gotta be able to repair what you got. You have to be able to expand the rabbit hutches and chicken coops to meet your now growing needs. Livestock fences have to be repaired and maintained. Your going to need to work your garden. Hand tools, building materials might not be the first 10 things to disappear but they will likely be very hard to come by and expensive when you do, but I bet they will be indespensible real quick and are things that in the long term will let you ride out the storm a lot longer and easier.

Garden seeds is another one that I think will run out and disappear really fast too. It takes a lot of seeds to plant a garden that will sustain a family of four or more. Further more you better be able to grow enough extra to allow you to produce your own seeds for the next two follow on seasons as well. That will require more than just a No 10 can or two of heirloom seeds!

Fertilizer! While I have the luxury of doing things organically at the moment and I have a very large compost pile going, I can see a lot of reasons to have a few bags of Fertilizer stashed in your supplies of goodies. A 40 lbs bag of Fertilizer only cost about 20 bucks, fits in a 5 gallon bucket well and might be your saving grace the first season or two or allow you to give your garden an occasional booster shot. Things like corn can really tax the soil of needed nutrients fast.

Maybe I am thinking too far outside the box...

·
Registered
302 Posts
One thing I haven't seen in this thread addressed specifically is OTC meds for dysentary. A true life saver.
Yes, you are right, and it's continually going in my supplies. Along with asprin, tylenol, ibuprofren, laxatives, vitamins, antibacterial products, etc...etc...etc.

LunaticFringeInc, I don't think your far outside the box. It's like I said in another post, there is so many things to think of, it's overwhelming.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lunaticfringeinc makes some vary good points on having extra building supply's extra mesh fence for the rabbits and chickens can't say I thought of that even getting some extra lumber put away for what ever happens would prob be a good idea and a few extra sheets of mettle to repair the roof now you got me thinking of quite a few things that I'm lacking on!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
A lot will depend on where you are. Rual area food will not be the first to go. Fuel will disappear fast not madder where you are

Reactions: Mudder.Mitch
1 - 20 of 20 Posts