collapsable stock
resonable & good value scope
a few hcsr mags
bipod

other possibles:
tapco stok system
barrel
supressor lol

so the input is on where to buy, brands, concerns, price.
thank you

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought a WalMart special 10/22 then tweaked it a bit.

Reactions: jc-hunter

·
Registered
938 Posts
Here is a collapsible stock I own and recommend, which is a drop-in installation, has sling swivel studs for a bipod, fits all barrel contours, allows use of standard Ruger 10 round rotary 10/22 mags, as well as the new Ruger BX-25 high capacity (25 round) "banana clip" mags:

BLACKHAWK! Axiom R/F Ruger 10/22 Rifle Stock - BLACKHAWK!

For high-cap mags, the Ruger BX-25 mags are excellent and can be found for around $22 to $27 if you shop around.

For the scope, Nikon makes the ProStaff fixed 4x with duplex reticle, which is a very good scope and is reasonably priced. I use these on my 10/22s which I use for plinking, hunting and target practice. Nikon also has the new P-22 rimfire scope and several other options. To me anything over 4x is overkill on a rimfire rifle or carbine, but everyone has different vision capabilities.

For the bipod, I use the new line of Blackhawk Sportster bipods (now available at Wal-Mart) for $45, and one of my 10/22s came with the Shooter's Ridge short bipod designed for rimfire carbines. Harris makes excellent bipods, but they start around $90....

You should get a good sling, too. And a soft case to carry the gun when transporting it to protect it from banging around.

Most people buy the basic carbine and upgrade it as they can afford to.

If you have a little extra cash, I would look at the Target or Tactical models, which have hammer forged barrels and match chambers, making them extraordinarily accurate. The match chamber will not allow you to shoot the high-velocity CCI Stingers or Velocitors, however, because of the match (tight tolerances) chamber; so if you want to shoot these rounds, stay with the regular chambered rifles or carbines.

And I recommend copper-plated ammo; feeds better in semi-autos.

For match accuracy, Federal makes some outstanding Premium grade match ammo, but it is $8 per 50.

You can sell your factory stock once you take it off to fund other upgrades.

Great rimfire rifle - enjoy it!

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
The only things I changed was the bolt catch to one that will release by just pulling the bolt back again, replaced the rear pin with one that cushions the bolt, and got a longer mag release lever.
I took a little off the sear and bolt catch besides what you did, now my 10/22 out shoots the Tacky-Kool ones, quick too. Call it a Sleeper if you want to.

·
Administrator
14,873 Posts
There are as many ways to customize a 10-22 as there are to do an AR.
Midway USA has a ton of stuff. Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear ? MidwayUSA I have done, and continue to do, business with Midway USA. They are good people, I highly reccomend them.
I'm old school, I generally tend to leave my firearms the way they were made. But I can understand someone wanting to customize theirs.
I do have scopes on a few of my rifles, and some fake ivory and fake stag grips on some revolvers. But I'm generally pretty traditional. My 10-22 is factory original. It's just a plinker, and I carry it in the woods sometimes.
Have fun!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
There are as many ways to customize a 10-22 as there are to do an AR.
Midway USA has a ton of stuff. Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear ? MidwayUSA I have done, and continue to do, business with Midway USA. They are good people, I highly reccomend them.
I'm old school, I generally tend to leave my firearms the way they were made. But I can understand someone wanting to customize theirs.
I do have scopes on a few of my rifles, and some fake ivory and fake stag grips on some revolvers. But I'm generally pretty traditional. My 10-22 is factory original. It's just a plinker, and I carry it in the woods sometimes.

Have fun!
I too have a tendency to leave my firearms in their original configuration, though on the rare occasion I will modify one. Perhaps one of the more useful things I did to my 10-22 was to change out the bolt catch and magazine button.

Replacing the flush mag button and two stage bolt catch with volksquartsen products. The single stage bolt catch is easier to apply and releases when the bolt is drawn to the rear and the extended magazine release button makes dropping the magazine a little easier.

These are more range type modifications, I shoot at a range that requires visibly cleared firearms when it closes for target changes. Which means locking the bolt open and inserting a flag in the chamber. I get less fumble with the bolt catch and oversized magazine catch. Other than that, a buffer, which the need for is questionable.

My 10/22 at a glance looks stock. I haven't done anything to it, other than a couple of things to make my life easier at the range.

I like the Ruger BX25 magazines, but am just as likely to assemble three factory magazines together using a trimag for a more compact profile.

·
Administrator
14,873 Posts
When I'm woodswalking carrying the 10-22 one handed, my hand always seems to be right where the magazine is. So i just stick with the Ruger factory 10 rounders. And it's the same with my Mini 14, so I insert the factory flush fitting 5 rounder. I do carry a 20 round mag in my back pocket just in case I'm ambushed by a drug crazed squirrel biker gang.:D

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Mad mods to my 10/22 is something I've resisted for years. Nonetheless, I really really want to trick it out, lol.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
You could always get a second 10/22. Then you could have it both ways, one mild (stock) and one wild (modded to the max)...

·
Registered
938 Posts
I like the slick profile with the flush fitting mag, too, but ten rounds go quickly when you are plinking, and having 25 rounds without having to reload is just a lot more fun. Those rotary mags are a little bit fiddly to me to handle; the banana clip is much easier for my big paws to handle.

I like upgrading the 10/22 with accessories. An extended mag release is a huge improvement. Stocks can be switched with one flat blade screwdriver; barrel changes are accomplished with one Allen wrench.

EOTech makes a nice rimfire-specific holographic red dot sight, for around $289 - if you like to shoot matches a lot of people use those.

I hunt bunnies and squirrels, so I prefer a nice 4x scope when they are tucked in tight behind a branch at the top of an oak tree.

I finally decided to get real serious about it and make a really good 10/22 for a hunting rifle, so I tricked out one carbine. It has turned out real nicely, but I have sunk a lot of money in the darn thing. I just popped for a Leupold scope and rings for my small game carbine. But it is really a sharpshooter in the woods.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I took a little off the sear and bolt catch besides what you did, now my 10/22 out shoots the Tacky-Kool ones, quick too. Call it a Sleeper if you want to.
My buddy from Harrassment Township MI, just called me and liked this post. He wants me to do up his 10/22. Now if he could only spell toboggan his name wouldn't be so short and he could figure out how to work his email and join this group.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
When I'm woodswalking carrying the 10-22 one handed, my hand always seems to be right where the magazine is. So i just stick with the Ruger factory 10 rounders. And it's the same with my Mini 14, so I insert the factory flush fitting 5 rounder. I do carry a 20 round mag in my back pocket just in case I'm ambushed by a drug crazed squirrel biker gang.:D
My support hand is always resting below my mag too with my fingers going forward in grip on the forend. With my tricep area of my arm pulled tight to my body it makes for a more stable shooting position for offhand for me. I think a person when modding their 10/22, should think what will serve them best for it's intended use other than what simply looks cool. This being a prepper/survivalist forum, I'd expect people to see their 10/22 as a hunting rifle for survival first. In turn it should more important to make it better for that task I'd say than trick it out for making little holes in paper while sitting your butt in a range chair firing off the bench.

For me, small game hunting has mostly been a stalking, on the move, finding the game where it lives, kind of hunt.There's times it will come up right in front of you, but that's not something to live by and keep food in your belly. With mine, I simply replaced the Ruger birch stock with a Hogue synthetic, did a trigger job to the stock trigger and put a Weaver 1-3 power Classic V scope on it for hunting in it's intended range with more precision than the lousy irons they have and still fast on target, precise shooting for putting tasty rabbit, squirrel and whatever looks appetizing onto the grill. The 10/22 is a great semi .22lr for taking small game. It doesn't need the kitchen sink attached to it to do that well in my opinion.

Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V Rifle Scope

·
Administrator
14,873 Posts
I also am not one who concentrates on "shooting groups" from a bench. Shooting groups may be a pleasurable excersize, but only shows what that particular firearm is doing on that particular day under current weather/wind conditions.
What I personally like to do is go to the short side of the range I use, the berm being 50 yards away, and bounce empty soda bottles around the berm. Gives good practice at hitting small moving targets. Of course, the game is over quickly when using a Garand or M1A - the bottle is usually launched over the berm and into orbit by the second shot.:lol:

Reactions: shotlady and Fuzzee

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I like that myself with soda and soap cans, though the ranges I use don't favor anything but shooting at your target in stand. I have always liked shooting cans and get to here at home with the 10/22, BB gun and slingshot. At the ranges I go to, I basically do standing, kneeling and leaning on the post, offhand shooting, raising up to target shooting. The target is same position all the time, but it's still offhand, fast acquisition practice with my M1A and AR.

·
Administrator
14,873 Posts
Thankfully I live about 35 miles from an unsupervised outdoor range owned and run by the state of Georgia. It's on a Wildlife Management Area and a yearly pass is required, but that only costs $38 for a group pass. An individual annual pass is half that. It has a 100 yard side and a 50 yard side with covered firing lines and concrete shooting benches.
I can shoot on my property, but choose not too. Just the occasional varmint or rattlesnake.

Reactions: AquaHull

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I'm thinking about NOT shooting on m y property also. The noise is startling to the new neighbors, plus I don't want to attract any more attention to the fact I have guns than is absolutely necessary.
As a side benefit, what few deer are around, will tend to stay around absent constant gunfire. There is a MDNR spot to shoot about 13 miles to the South which is well used. Or I can just hoof it about a mile into the Forest and shoot into the berms, moving the deer closer to me in the process.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts