Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All Emergency Food

There are 3 items on this page I've ordered before at $199.97 they are now down $5 which isn't alot. The three of them total 1389 servings and most of the servings are about 75-90 calories. Some have a little fat and some not so much. Still at .14 a serving I find them to be quite worth the investment - and in each case they are products or items I don't grow - the veggie stew I could assemble but this makes it easy.

All three come with 6 gallon buckets, sealed, shelf lives of 25 years I believe. One might be 15 - (the stew).

I don't often click on the sponsor links to the web sites that sell emergency foods, but I see them all over the web probably because of my searches and such. Is there a better deal then this out there?

The three items from the above link for $195 are Lentils, White Rice and the Veggie Stew - total $194.97.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I only compared the price of the pasta, it's about twice the amount of buying individual packages at the grocery store.
Why couldn't one buy it by the package and pack it our own buckets?
Is there something special about the way these foods are prepared or packed?
I have been packing my own dry-goods in 5 gallon buckets with a rubber O'ring seal in the lids that I get from a local deli.
I threw in about 10 dry black eyed peas as a desiccant and then sealed the lid on.
Just trying to learn.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well with flour I can make pasta so I didn't look at it; generally speaking pasta is best purchased in ready to use packaging. To me, since I make it from flour and eggs I don't consider it something to put in to my long term storage plans. I am not able to plant / harvest rice and while I could some beans I can't lentils (they both seemingly require more water than I have available for the land - and better climate). The veggie stew is convenience item to me. Its because a lot of meat comes easy to me and so a veggie stew is a quick and simple meal (add meat).

Things I would not consider at Costco include powdered milk. I find their cost / serving price high but then I don't store it anyway under any circumstances. On the other side in their stores I buy powdered pancake mix; just add water, long shelf life, and most affordable. I also don't see the value in their 6 gallon buck 23 lb container of oats, it seems to me the retail oatmeal products are much easier to prepare and cost even less.

I only compared the price of the pasta, it's about twice the amount of buying individual packages at the grocery store.
Why couldn't one buy it by the package and pack it our own buckets?
Is there something special about the way these foods are prepared or packed?
I have been packing my own dry-goods in 5 gallon buckets with a rubber O'ring seal in the lids that I get from a local deli.
I threw in about 10 dry black eyed peas as a desiccant and then sealed the lid on.
Just trying to learn.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
And a SHTF situation you could easily be cutting & moving downed tree branches or cutting up wood for fire to cook on or fetching water & therefore easily be burning 1500 calories per day. So a 90 calorie serving of something isn't going to get you far.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried that ifs bulk for lentil, rice, and a bean. All 3 on the lowest end, 75lbs, only $52 but $49 shipping. The three Costco items were in the 120lb range, bucketed, absorbers in place and shipping included. Not sure which is going to compare out. I like their variety.

Don't over look farm feed stores.

Cracked corn is cracked corn.

Other places have bulk grains but they don't come with the plastic bucket. Get a couple of walmart plastic tubs with sealable lids. That's what we use daily for our white rice

Producer's Pride® Cracked Corn, 50 lb. - Tractor Supply Online Store

Flaked Maize, Cracked Corn

https://ifsbulk.com/large-green-lentils-laird

https://ifsbulk.com/pinto-beans

https://ifsbulk.com/oats-rolled-regular-old-fashioned5

1 - 6 of 6 Posts