Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
bushcrafting, homesteading
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all 👋

I'm from Madison, Wisconsin. Just getting started on prepping. The years have shown me the need for some basic provisions. I live in an apartment, so I'm not sure exactly how much I can prepare. But, I've started assembling basics: food, water, water filters, extra toilet paper, non-electric heaters, etc. I buy a little bit more supplies when I go out to the store. Slowly accumulating.

I'm looking to learn more. I dream of running a farm commune in the countryside someday, & being mostly off-grid, but that is a long way away. I'm still fairly young.

I definitely expect more significant disasters in my lifetime. Maybe a "big one"; though what that means I'm not sure yet. As I've gotten more into prepping, I've realized I have only a fairly limited number of things I can do to prep, since I live in the city, & refuse to abandon my family who live throughout town in the event of an emergency. Still, something is better than nothing. I imagine if any medium-level emergencies occur (something on par with Katrina, etc.) that it will be quite helpful just to have a few weeks extra food, water, & supplies stored up, even if it's not enough for a "long-haul" emergency. I'm also interested in bushcraft.

I think the US may dissolve (more-or-less) within my lifetime/the next 40 or so years. I expect our fiat currency to be destroyed much sooner. And I also expect more general chaos & violence in the streets, akin to the riots of 2020 & the January 6th thing. How much any of this will actually affect me, I have no idea! 😂

Ultimately, I think prepping only gets one so far. It is all in the hands of the Almighty. I know that one day I will die. I accept that. I'm just here on this forum to learn how to avoid any unnecessary BS along the way, if possible

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Good to know you! I was born and raised in Milwaukee and came to Madison to go to college--and I stayed! My wife and I moved out to Sun Prairie, which now is building igloo ice dams to keep the penguins from hunting down cheeseburgers!

Yikes! Is it cold in Suburbia! When you have to wear two flannel shirts to go to the bathroom you can bet the morning newspaper shatters like glass!

·
Administrator
15,481 Posts
Welcome from Florida

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
Hearty welcome from DFW Texas. That farm commune sounds cool. If there will be friendly hippy chicks with unshaven pits..I know a guy who might want to join once it gets cranking. Thanks. .

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,817 Posts
...Ultimately, I think prepping only gets one so far. It is all in the hands of the Almighty. I know that one day I will die. I accept that. I'm just here on this forum to learn how to avoid any unnecessary BS along the way, if possible

Thank you!
Amen and welcome, welcome!!

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
Hi all 👋

I'm from Madison, Wisconsin. Just getting started on prepping. The years have shown me the need for some basic provisions. I live in an apartment, so I'm not sure exactly how much I can prepare. But, I've started assembling basics: food, water, water filters, extra toilet paper, non-electric heaters, etc. I buy a little bit more supplies when I go out to the store. Slowly accumulating.

I'm looking to learn more. I dream of running a farm commune in the countryside someday, & being mostly off-grid, but that is a long way away. I'm still fairly young.

I definitely expect more significant disasters in my lifetime. Maybe a "big one"; though what that means I'm not sure yet. As I've gotten more into prepping, I've realized I have only a fairly limited number of things I can do to prep, since I live in the city, & refuse to abandon my family who live throughout town in the event of an emergency. Still, something is better than nothing. I imagine if any medium-level emergencies occur (something on par with Katrina, etc.) that it will be quite helpful just to have a few weeks extra food, water, & supplies stored up, even if it's not enough for a "long-haul" emergency. I'm also interested in bushcraft.

I think the US may dissolve (more-or-less) within my lifetime/the next 40 or so years. I expect our fiat currency to be destroyed much sooner. And I also expect more general chaos & violence in the streets, akin to the riots of 2020 & the January 6th thing. How much any of this will actually affect me, I have no idea! 😂

Ultimately, I think prepping only gets one so far. It is all in the hands of the Almighty. I know that one day I will die. I accept that. I'm just here on this forum to learn how to avoid any unnecessary BS along the way, if possible

Thank you!
Same here on trusting in the The Lord God Almighty and His Son Jeusus Christ. Prepping is a secondary interest just in case we misfigured the Pre Trib Rapture of the Church. .

·
Registered
329 Posts
Also from WI, and welcome! Madison saw it’s share of unrest, and a devolving political and criminal justice system….

I always thought about apartment living…. Do you have a storage unit? To stockpile various preps?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
...Madison saw it’s share of unrest...

I know, I was there in the high-flying 1970s. My parents had come with me in 1968 to see just what was happening in Madison, and they thought it was "a very nice place." Well, duh, of course! All of the dorms, schools and buildings were paid as the kids signed up! At that time you weren't allowed to park your bicycle or a kiss a girl unless you had "bona fides" proving your parents had money.

The proctors were nothing but edgy. If you have 40,000 kids each spending 800 bucks (1968 mode) the college could make more money than the Mafia.

But like all things, there were "rules." For example, you could not go into a women's dorm at dark unless you chanced risk in getting shot. Of course, girls could walk through the men's dorm freely, and usually with pizza. I did not know it at the time, but "girls with pizza" was a very tidy scam. Usually those girls were new to Madison and they did not know a lot of guys with fun, money or both. It was common then for a girl to wake you up at 2:00AM and ask to stay in your room so "she wouldn't get caught."

...I must have fallen for that 20 times...and I never learned a single girls' name...

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,107 Posts
I question the motivations of anyone who chooses to virtue signal with a selfie showing the wearing of a mask...
Choose to show yourself, or don't show yourself at all. The mask is now its own separate message, and it's not a good one.
We're all safe from your cooties over the internet.... so far.

Other than that, welcome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts