Long Term fuel usage/ storage - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Long Term fuel usage/ storage

This is a discussion on Long Term fuel usage/ storage within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; The only problem with fuel stabilizer is that its shelf life isn't much better than the fuel itself. Right now I'm trying to research how ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Long Term fuel usage/ storage

The only problem with fuel stabilizer is that its shelf life isn't much better than the fuel itself.
    Right now I'm trying to research how hard it is to re-refine fuel, but it does not look good. Essentially you need some tricky equipment to keep from killing yourself.
    Everything I have learned up to now indicates that you'd be better off manufacturing new fuel (moonshine).

Seafoam works with ethenol, real gas, and deisel.
    When I found it, stopped using stabil.

I have used it for years, generator (sits idle all summer), pressure washer, yard tools and atv( sits all summer), all start easily.
    Keep several 5 gal cans of gas in storage and each year dump them in vehicles and refill, never an issue.
    Available at Walmart and some auto parts stores
    wallyLOZ likes this.

Proper storage,100LL AV gas will store for years without any stabilizer. But does have lead

For lamps the highly refined kerosene sold in 5-gal metal cans is your best bet besides lamp oil.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 11-21-2017 at 10:46 PM.
    0rocky likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarök View Post
    Diesel creates carbon monoxide is my first thought.
    Every fuel that burns creates some kind of fume that people shouldnt be breathing.

For any fuel burning appliance use what the manufacture recomends. They made the product and its build to burn that fuel.

I have a 500 gal propane tank that heats the house. This same tank also has a propane generator that can run my water well when the power goes out.

How long will that 500gal last at 1-2gal/hr and how do you expect to fill it when its below 20 percent and possibly cant vaporize enough propane to run the generator.

At 2 gal per hour of propane consumption thats ~180K Btu. That's a whole lot of propane being used for what? Are you sure that's not pounds instead of gallons? I've got a 40# propane tank, hooked up to my generator. Runs for days and it's a 7.5Kw unit.
    Long Term fuel usage/ storage-gensetup.png

I'm more on the self-sufficiency track. Unfortunately, I found how to make biodiesel after I bought my gasoline generator. In retrospect, I'd learn how to make biodiesel and lamp oil as they are renewable. Biodiesel can be made from any organic fat (animal or plant) with some common household materials. As for lamp oil, certain trees yield oil from their bark. YouTube is rife with such videos.

Bio Diesel is a problem for the shelf-life.

Quote Originally Posted by PrepTrack View Post
    I'm more on the self-sufficiency track. Unfortunately, I found how to make biodiesel after I bought my gasoline generator. In retrospect, I'd learn how to make biodiesel and lamp oil as they are renewable. Biodiesel can be made from any organic fat (animal or plant) with some common household materials. As for lamp oil, certain trees yield oil from their bark. YouTube is rife with such videos.

bio=diesel is great for a homestead and/or off grid scenario - but this is a prepper site and there are differences in practicality & perspectives >>>> one of harder food electives during a serious SHTF will be protein from meat - along with that will be fats & oils - if you could even find base product the value for food would be greater - exact same aguement for alcohol distilling >>>> 100% food involved with the grains, fruit and sugars ....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links