Urban Stealth... - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Urban Stealth...

This is a discussion on Urban Stealth... within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Pretty much what was said above. Be the invisable man. If you go out like some mall ninja you will draw unwanted attention. Leave the ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Urban Stealth...

Pretty much what was said above. Be the invisable man. If you go out like some mall ninja you will draw unwanted attention. Leave the underarmor tactical shirts, 511 tactical pants, and Oakly tactical boots at home. When I traveled over seas and stayed in country for a while I would buy some clothes from local stores. That didnt really help me to fit in in asia or the middle east but you get the idea. Try to look like joe ordinary.
    Dark Jester likes this.

Two points come to mind in Notsoyoung's reply;

1.) "IMO the weak are the ones that are going to be hit on first. There will be some who will be more than willing to attack someone just for the hope of getting a bottle of water or to take their shoes". I would say, don't make yourself appear as though you have something someone else wants. Dress and look like you are a step above a street person. You get ignored.

And 2.) "People are going to be super suspicious of everyone else and just might try to attack anyone that they think poses the smallest amount of danger and who are not part of their group". Again, I feel if you look like someone with nothing to offer, you may pass right by. If you show a weapon, maybe a small group wants it for someone in their group that needs one. You are then confronted by more than one armed individuals. What do you do?
    "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those that threaten it."
    The United States Navy

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
    Theodore Roosevelt

To address Nephilim's comments;
    "Point B, I can forage for more and last a few extra weeks, so I give myself 8 weeks on my basic preps and foraging.
    Point C, I can hunt for rabbits, pigeon, pheasant, and deer, so I have no issue with meat, so lets say that is bringing me up to 12 weeks."

If someone is near a large urban area, say 2-3 million people, how long do you think the hunting option would work for you if a majority of the people have the same plan as you? Think about it this way, what if 300,000 people in your area went hunting the same day you did? How long would there be anything left?

Obviously, I don't know your situation, but wonder if others have thought about this potential issue...
    The United States Navy

Theodore Roosevelt

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    I found the article, and that might be the one I'm thinking of. It was so long ago, I'd let some of the details slip.
    He was in Bosnia, and between '92 and '95, the military had blockaded his town.
    Here's a link to the story: One Year In Hell?Surviving a Full SHTF Collapse in Bosnia | SilverDoctors.com
    Wow, great story. This is the type of stuff we need to be reading more often. People who did live through extremely hard times. If anyone else has a link to something like this, please share. Also note how this writer mentioned that many people died from infections, probably many were simple tiny infections in our minds. But without being treated properly, it can kill you.

quote from the article:

Many died from infections of superficial wounds. I had antibiotics for three to four uses — for the family, of course.

People died foolishly quite often. Simple diarrhea will kill you in a few days without medicine, with limited amounts of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Jester View Post
    To address Nephilim's comments;
    "Point B, I can forage for more and last a few extra weeks, so I give myself 8 weeks on my basic preps and foraging.
    Point C, I can hunt for rabbits, pigeon, pheasant, and deer, so I have no issue with meat, so lets say that is bringing me up to 12 weeks."

If someone is near a large urban area, say 2-3 million people, how long do you think the hunting option would work for you if a majority of the people have the same plan as you? Think about it this way, what if 300,000 people in your area went hunting the same day you did? How long would there be anything left?

Obviously, I don't know your situation, but wonder if others have thought about this potential issue...
    Population where I am is around 60k. Of this less than 1000 are registered gun owners (I'd put it closer to 5000 if you count illegal guns). Of these I'd say most would end up killing each other. Also I am on the fringe of the town, and not many people venture out of the town. Wouldn't take long for most to die off.
    Using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Notsoyoung View Post
    It seems to me that when going out your choices are to either try to keep a low profile and hope that no one notices you, or to look too dangerous to mess with and so they look for weaker victims. IMO the weak are the ones that are going to be hit on first. There will be some who will be more then willing to attack someone just for the hope of getting a bottle of water or to take their shoes. If they know that you are well armed and that if they attack you some of them are going to die, then they might just decided to find someone weaker.

I think that forming a group of well armed people would be your best bet. Either go that route or stay hidden so that no one knows that you are there. I don't think that trying to blend in with other people just wouldn't work. People are going to be super suspicious of everyone else and just might try to attack anyone that they think poses the smallest amount of danger and who are not part of their group. At any rate, trying to survive in an urban environment will pose some difficult problems.

I dunno, if they can see you they can kill you.

I can't really imagine what it would be like in America other than china towns and otherwise, as if we draw comparisons to the middle east and Russia I don't think things will divide on the basis of weak and strong but rather cultural divisions. For instance in the US some may fall back to racial divisions.

IMO most HQs would be linked to sky scrappers due to sniping potentials it would all be line of sight for zones of control. Of course large buildings will need large amounts of security .. major buildings will probably be controlled by the government regardless. I'm not really sure what type of scenario you are invisioning though. Even in WROL I think that the gov will still have a strong presence in major financial districts.
    Last edited by Will2; 06-17-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Nephilim, you are only 30 miles north of London, a city with an official population of 8,308,369 in 2012 making it the most populous municipality in the European Union. How long would it take for a large number of these people to head to your area in search of resources?

The locals would kill each other off? What about you? What about all the Londoners coming to your town? Do they have firearms?

My intention is not to be argumentative, but it was a scenario I had to consider in my plan. I live in Texas just outside a major metropolitan area and was shown a credible projection of how long our wildlife and crops would last if a large part of the population decided to venture out for "groceries"... not long.

Plus how many of you have had a successful hunting trip with a crowd of people wandering around in your hunting area?
    The United States Navy

Theodore Roosevelt

Will stated,
    "Even in WROL I think that the gov will still have a strong presence in major financial districts".
    Sure, they may have the resources to control the important infrastructure, but what about the neighborhoods and the suburbs of that city?
    Last edited by Dark Jester; 06-17-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    The United States Navy

Theodore Roosevelt

Banned

Pheniox said darkness is your friend. I agree. It is the best time to move. I also saw an episode of, eek, Doomsday Preppers, the guy that made the spider holes, and I have to agree with his philosophy, though I'm not sure how I would react to it; If they want your place, let them take it. Then come back and pick them off one or two at a time until the place just isn't that appealing anymore.

The other option is make as impressive a stand as you can make, to coax folks to just move along. Urban is tough and I would stay put as long as possible to allow them to weed themselves out a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Jester View Post
    Nephilim, you are only 30 miles north of London, a city with an official population of 8,308,369 in 2012 making it the most populous municipality in the European Union. How long would it take for a large number of these people to head to your area in search of resources?

The locals would kill each other off? What about you? What about all the Londoners coming to your town? Do they have firearms?

My intention is not to be argumentative, but it was a scenario I had to consider in my plan. I live in Texas just outside a major metropolitan area and was shown a credible projection of how long our wildlife and crops would last if a large part of the population decided to venture out for "groceries"... not long.

Plus how many of you have had a successful hunting trip with a crowd of people wandering around in your hunting area?
    Good points. However the only people insane enough to head north would be foreigners. Any British person worth their salt knows the best farmland and hunting grounds are south of London in Kent, Sussex and the West Country (and Wales).

Yes again for hunting I see your point. However pigeons are plentiful as are squirrels and both frequently my gardens often enough for me to make a meal of them. Deer would be harder with more people around I grant you.

A local government party did similar projections for here and supplies would last around a month or so if people razed the land and raided the shops. Then they'd be forced to go to the coast for easier fishing etc.

Londoners coming up would be scary but I could hold out. I have several thousand rounds in .22 calibre including hollowpoint and I have reasonably good aim up to 50 yards (far enough to ensure nobody gets close) plus I have around 200 arrows for my bow and can always make more if needed.

Not saying I would be chuck norris or anything but I could defend myself and family and hold our own.
    Using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links