Securing my home windows? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Securing my home windows?

This is a discussion on Securing my home windows? within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; THanks learned a lot MOLON LABE...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Securing my home windows?

THanks learned a lot

MOLON LABE

I was just wondering about my windows...(New Prepper here) and I have very old windows (1975) single panel and I am on a split level house... so I have 3 windows downstairs one which is approx. 2 yards and one in the garage. You have given me Ideas on how to help to prevent people from at least noticing (rose bushes or similar plants) BUT what else would you use I am on a budget so I have to go slow but my weakest part of my house is THAT window. I can board up the other two that are not facing any roads...Also what should be used on a sliding door? the lock is broken on it and I have plans on putting 2 of not 3 bars on it, (mind you have a 3 year old and a 10 month old and 2 cats) I was thinking plywood, but the original poster made me think otherwise. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If you already have impact-resistant hurricane windows, anything short of roll-up steel covers is just a waste of money. Hurricane-rated windows are usually 1"-thick laminated glass outside with tempered glass inside. They are incredibly durable. I've used them for securing buildings where I was having problems with the kids breaking windows. These rated windows are every bit as tough as plywood would be. I've been nothing but impressed with their durability.
    thegtwyo86 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Schramm View Post
    I was just wondering about my windows...(New Prepper here) and I have very old windows (1975) single panel and I am on a split level house... so I have 3 windows downstairs one which is approx. 2 yards and one in the garage. You have given me Ideas on how to help to prevent people from at least noticing (rose bushes or similar plants) BUT what else would you use I am on a budget so I have to go slow but my weakest part of my house is THAT window. I can board up the other two that are not facing any roads...Also what should be used on a sliding door? the lock is broken on it and I have plans on putting 2 of not 3 bars on it, (mind you have a 3 year old and a 10 month old and 2 cats) I was thinking plywood, but the original poster made me think otherwise. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Can you grow prickly pear cactus? That's what I'm looking at here in AZ
    longrider likes this.

I'm sure I can, Ill have to look into the plants AND get my Husbands approval. He doesn't know how he feels about this type of thing....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thegtwyo86 View Post
    Hi everyone
    Lately, I've been changing my bug out idea to bugging in my house. I've been wondering what would be the best items to use in securing the windows in my house? I want something that will last so I was ruling out plywood, I also want something if I have to move slightly so I can defend my house. My house is block construction one story and my windows are impact resistant hurricane windows. I'm in the middle of changing all my doors over to steel hurricane ones. I was just wondering what you guys have done with your windows.
    Thanks
    James
    1. concrete
    2. brick and mortor.

If that is outside your budget there really aint many options as if it can be broken it can be broken into.

I'll also plug this new technology that is wall inserts. Basially the whole wall is preassembled then just slipped into place, so you can just put a wall infront of your windows. Then it is no longer a window, but rather a wall, you could do this for your other house openings and instead enter your home through a ladder, at which point you can draw the ladder up into the home making ease of entry require sledgehammers.
    Last edited by Will2; 02-17-2014 at 09:36 PM.

I like the idea of the prickly plants. I have roses and gooseberry bushes in front of my bedroom windows. They came with the house. The roses are pretty, summer and winter. The gooseberies are painful, summer and winter. I was thinking something metal to put on the inside of the BOL, which is a farmhouse from the late 1800's. The basement windows are so small it would have to be a 10 year old girl to get in there. The other windows are new. 2008. Metal grates that are welded with 1 or 2 openings for shooting. Set them into some kind of brace on either side of the window. If SHTF, I want to be safe in some building.

I think some blackberry canes would be good. Fruit and break-in deterent all in one.
    Deebo, thegtwyo86 and MrsInor like this.

It's been a wile but thanks everyone

Ok well I'm sorry I know he said he didn't want to use plywood but the redneck in me is going that route.
    I have lumber out in the shed if I need it. I think I will build shutters that open to the inside where as I can drop a board
    across on the inside to lock them. And I want shooting slots in them with little boards on hinges to cover the slots.
    I hope to cover them with something that won't let any light in or out in case I want to have lights on without anyone
    knowing that I have lights. Just like 150 years ago
    Sorry that's the redneck way.

Note: In a pinch during SHTF you could use the doors in your house to do this. Reuse the hinges also.
    Just a silly thought
    Last edited by budgetprepp-n; 07-05-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    thegtwyo86 likes this.

Like a few people here, my primary plan is to bug in. For that reason, part of my plan is to make my house look very normal, compared to the rest around me. I also will try to make my house look like it has already been looted. Old TV and stereo stuff tossed around the front yard, along with some clothes , etc. I will do the same for the houses on either side of me if possible.
    MrsInor and thegtwyo86 like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links