Great Depression thread
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Great Depression thread

This is a discussion on Great Depression thread within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; List what you know personally or heard someone say about the great depression (not the one were in now "aka greater depression"....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Great Depression thread

Great Depression thread

List what you know personally or heard someone say about the great depression (not the one were in now "aka greater depression".
    "If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man," Albert Einstein."

Re: Great Depression thread

I just watch " The Walton's" and realize that one needs to know how to hunt and grow food to survive. Food, shelter and clothing is what I learned about in 5th grade and it still applies. All this technology is distracting us from reality!!!
    shotlady likes this.

I know that my father was 14 at the start of the great depression. My grandfather owned a furniture store in Galveston, TX. They lost everything. Luckily, they had the "old family homestead" to go to in Louisiana. He talked about them eating meals off banana leaves because they did not have dishes. On his death bed he was still dreaming of drinking cold buttermilk out of a bucket while he was working the fields. It seemed that it was a pleasant memory.

My mother was 13 at the beginning of the depression. She saved everything. Bread bags, rubberbands, twist ties, aluminum foil, wrapping paper, you name it, she threw nothing away that she felt she could use later. Unlike my father, she wanted nothing to do with farming. She didn't even want a house plant.

Unlike many of our parents or grandparents, many of us do not have an "old family homestead" to go back to. If the economy does collapse, we may very well lose our homes.
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. ~ Benjamin Franklin

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

only 2% of bank deposts were lost unlike that they make it out to be,the reason we have the FDIC to insure bank deposits, so banks make reckless loans with our deposits for high interest if it doesn't work out who cares, the goverment prints the money or ads credit adding to inflation problem. 25% of the population was unemployed so the remaining 75% that had jobs experienced deflation in prices so they could buy more with their money (like todays prices to silver and gold but up in fiat money) the problem was every thing was rationed so you could only buy so much anyway. Their were many families in one house sometimes 1 family per room and people kept everything nothing went in the trash. There were several depressions in the past before the great depression they usually were mild and lasted between 6-18 months like the depression of 1920, the 1929 "great depression" was make "GREAT" by goverment intevention. and the gold confiscation illegal and wasn't a confiscation like door to door, they asked people to turn it in for $20 an ounce and you were fined and/or did jail time if you got caught. 1933 coins are NOT EXEMPT they executive order said rare or collectable coins but never specified what that meant intentionally so they could take anything they wanted. The reason we have all these old rare coins now is because people didn't turn them in to be melted down. The "new deal" was alot of goverment spending that actually wasted resources that prolonged the problem. Roosevelt is seen by Austrian Economist as one of the worst presidents in history, because of uncontolled spending, starting S.S. knowing it wouldn't work but would create a breadbasket of voters for the Democ party, think about it the slaughtered lots of cattle raise the price of meat to help farmers but is it a good idea when people can't afford to buy meat at the price before the rise, or pay farmers subsidies NOT to grow too much corn or wheat so the price doesn't fall? it seems there was a small depression arising president hoover acted to intervent in the free market and then Roosevelt continued the proccess that prolonged and make the depression worse like Bush starting the "stimulus" after the housing bubble and then with Obamas even bigger debt spending for "quantitative easing" New Deal = QE 1 & 2 thats is why we are still in a ressesion or as Austrians econ. call a inflated depression and that is why it is lasting so longand getting worse.
    Meangreen likes this.

One little problem with the deflation theory is that wages were cut. The bank my father worked for cut wages across the board 33 percent during the depression. My understanding was unemployment was 30+ percent. Some who had cash at the beginning of the event made money because they could buy cheap. There is always two sides.

Banned

My grandma tells me stories about bundling newspapers tightly and using them like fire logs. She also talked of raising hogs and a lot of farm like activity at her home in iowa.
    shotlady likes this.

Food things:

One interesting thing I learned is my relatives on one side didn't really consider rice to be a staple! Rice was available, but they seldom ate it, and only in pudding. It wasn't like it was a deliberate thing, it simply didn't make it to the table. They relied upon other staples, especially home baked bread and potatoes. Maybe grandpa just didn't like it.

Bread and stewed tomatoes. I don't know why this was popular in some circles but I guess they took some bread, and put fresh tomatoes that were pealed and stewed on them and considered that dinner. I've heard this from rural whites and rural blacks so I don't know how this came into being eaten.

About thefts:

Thefts hurt bad. For example, or perhaps for some odd reason, someone cut a section of hose and took it. This was irrigation stuff, not just some gardening item. This hurt. It limited what could be planted and irrigated. The family just had less. Someone stole your jacket. It hurt. A magazine ad for a neat airplane kit sold for a bit of money, promising a big toy airplane. Kids saved up pennies, sent it and waited months. When the kit arrived it had some folded construction paper, decals and instructions to make a paper airplane. Nothing much people could do about such things back then.

I don't see a problem with the theory, the FED took 1/3 of the money supply out of circulation AKA 33% some think it was on purpose who really knows

Quote Originally Posted by fedorthedog View Post
    One little problem with the deflation theory is that wages were cut. The bank my father worked for cut wages across the board 33 percent during the depression. My understanding was unemployment was 30+ percent. Some who had cash at the beginning of the event made money because they could buy cheap. There is always two sides.
    I don't see a problem with the theory, the FED took 1/3 of the money supply out of circulation AKA 33% that makes perfect sense. but prices still went down lower because the unempoyment was so high. so for those working it wasn't so bad. till Roosevent subsidized meat, corn and other commodities, raising prices food when people where doing bad. to help a few farmers he raised prices of food for many. one of the worse presidents in history, maybe the worst after Obama

My mother and her cousin went to live together on their grandparent’s farm where they could work and help out. It also took a financial load off their parents who rented the girl’s rooms out for income. My father and his two brothers (young teenagers at best) hunted, fished, cut wood or whatever else they could find to do to earn money. Both of my grandmothers took in sewing and laundry as well as made most of the clothing for the rest of the family. My mother continued that practice until I was about twelve. One of my grandfathers was an auto mechanic and died of pneumonia from working on cars down in an unheated garage pit. My other grandfather worked in a milk and cheese processing plant and remained employed.

What I’ve taken away from the many stories I’ve been told is that people did alright, but they had to be creative, flexible, hard-working and willing to undergo some hardship. Basic labor skills like wood cutting, hunting and sewing became opportunities to bring in money. Gardening was an absolute must. Every household in my family became so dependent on their gardens that they continued to keep large ones right through into the 60’s, until it became truly cheaper to buy store produce.
    The smithy’s anvil rings with woe.
    Swords for soldiers row on row.
    Against the nobles they must stand.
    And for their souls take back the land.
    AnvilIron

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links