Waste in apartments and santitation - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Waste in apartments and santitation

This is a discussion on Waste in apartments and santitation within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; What is waste? Why are you throwing away perfectly usable Sh!t? I think you fail to really grasp SHTF. You need to start asking, how ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Waste in apartments and santitation

Banned

What is waste?

Why are you throwing away perfectly usable Sh!t?

I think you fail to really grasp SHTF.

You need to start asking, how can I use all this crap.

Fact is an apartment building just from human waste alone is able to generate methane for heating and other usages.

Pretty much everything has a reuse.

Most of western society is a consumer driven waste society they throw away a lot of resource because the people that control things would rather you buy new junk and give away your useful stuff to keep you dependent on them.

Human waste has massive use in agricultural and energy production. Big oil would rather you add to the air pollution and buy their refined stuff ripped from the bowels of the planet through destructive and non renewable process.

Just the way it is. But in SHTF big oil is dead, and you will learn that your crap has a use.

Gaza is a good example of the human strugle in SHTF.

Its not that SHTF hasn't happened, it is just that it hasn't happened to you yet. Syria and Ukraine are two new areas experiencing SHTF although at different stages. GAZA is a SHTF Mecca.

None the less India and China in areas are experiencing their own resource and infrastructure issues. They have some good models.

Learn a little but don't throw anything away it is all useful. Now in terms of sanitation - its more a question of "smell" shit is harmless.

Your piss turns into ammonia --- after a urea process. Ammonia is used as a cleaner. but don't piss on your crap. It makes black sludge which is nasty. Urine alone and shit alone arn't bad. One toilet will do a human a couple months. And shit will naturally decompose and sink down your pipes. Methane will be produced overtime and that is the smell. You can try adding straw dead grass which should be growing to it to make it more sanitary. Otherwise shit is mostly aseptic and if you have a pair of gloves you can just scoop it out and dump it in a box outside. Scent wont kill you though it isn't a primary need to remove.

The ammonia is also an active ingredient for stimulating compost heaps. It is also a cleaning agent to kill pests and insects. You can expect to need a litre for every couple days if you are drinking a fair amount of water. In a city though if your water system goes expect to have a shortage of water real fast if you don't have your own supply so piss isn't a problem.

If you are in SHTF in a city you havn't prepared. A city will not be a good place to be after a few weeks due to the pandemonium created from the food supply through logistics routes being killed. If you are in the city you will more or less be on lockdown in your appartment, and who knows what will happen once WROL comes into play.

Of course the chances of SHTF short of major disaster on a continental scale are pretty slim in the near term. None the less I don't think anyone wants to be in the city a few weeks into meltdown.

https://www.google.ca/#q=human+waste+gaza

Note I don't use municipal water or sewage here usually.. due to all the rain they need to use generators to pump the water system here luckily the rain is ending .. last year there was a raw sewage leak. All in all you can't depend on anyone but yourself. The government systems arn't built for major failure scenarios. Some plan on not containing failure as their cost effective solution.

If you are really concerned there are both incinerator toilets and composting toilets.
    Last edited by Will2; 06-03-2014 at 02:31 PM.

There should be very little waste in a SHTF scenario. Human fecal matter should be composted into fertilizer, as well as just about any other organic waste. Non organic trash should almost universally be repurposed into something else.

Resources will be very limited, so almost nothing should go to waste.
    paraquack likes this.
    Friends don't let friends own Glocks.

sounds "too shitty" to me. I dont live in a apartment, but I dont want to composting human waste. Any meat eating animals (humans included) would be disgusting. I have seen and dealt with fresh horshe shit, cow shit, and they are nothing compared to any animal that touches meat. Sorry, not for Deebo.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Can't argue with you, Deebo. Plant eaters a lot easier on the nose. Hell, I even sold (sort of) the manure from my boarding stable. Locals growers would come and pick it up, so I didn't have to pay to get rid of it.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

You can also build a small methane generator to take care of waste. Human waste always has be be handled carefully, but it can be used to generate free cooking fuel. The technology is simple. Third world countries all over the world are doing it. One guy on youtube has a small set up in a bedroom where he dumps diaper waste from his baby. It is enough to make enough methane for 1 hour of cooking fuel each day.

nightshade

i will burn all my poop and other waste. actually a good thing to do is the burn all your shit and spread the ashes on your soil before you plant..the release of carbon is great for plants. burning it is the best option you can use...composting human shit is a bad idea in my opinion..spread of bacteria would be a dangerous kickback. not all shit is created equal.

About Composting Toilets | Greywater Action

There are safe ways to deal with human waste by composting. Burning human waste as fuel or for fertilizer involves a lot more contact with the contamination. If it comes down to dealing with waste on this level of societal breakdown, there is not going to be extra fuel around to burn it, in my opinion. Better to compost the waste or else turn it into methane that you can cook with.

Solid waste is a fuel. Just dry it and light it.

I have 13 gallon trash bags, Contractor's bags, Pine shavings, and a bucket. I will be putting the used bags inside the contractor's bags away from my building.

I should talk with my land lords about plans for disposing of said waste...

•  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links