DIY In Line Charcoal Water Filter (ver. 1) - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DIY In Line Charcoal Water Filter (ver. 1)

This is a discussion on DIY In Line Charcoal Water Filter (ver. 1) within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Question, what would it do to salt water, not that Im anywhere near any...But?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: DIY In Line Charcoal Water Filter (ver. 1)

Question, what would it do to salt water, not that Im anywhere near any...But?

Senior Member R.I.P.

Salt water you need a reverse osmosis system.

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    Im still sold on prepperdogs, I will find some activated charcoal and make my own, becouse I will buy the fittings, but, realisticly, everything else is free to me, I could use some of the brass fittings we have at work, but wanna try it just like his. I think its kool.
    The fittings can be found at Lowe's or Homey Depot as well as the 1/4" tubing. I'm using charcoal pellets which I found online.

All in all, I think I might have $3 in it.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to
    time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PrepperDogs View Post
    Do you have a pic of them?
    Attachment 2085Attachment 2086
    I also have a primary filter, same housing with what I would call a pre filter to keep the big junk (10 micron and larger) out of the charcoal filter.
    Attachment 2087 Attachment 2088
    It has a styro foam feel to it, not pleated paper design, so it could be washed off if necessary. If I had to do it all over again, I'd opt for the see thru plastic housing. Everything is available thru Loews, Home Depot, Menards, and I think I even saw it at Walmart. I picked them up on sale over the years and pick up the filters when they go on sale.
    Last edited by paraquack; 06-07-2013 at 10:17 AM.

paraquack...nice filters, but they won't work in the gravity fed system I designed.

I have seen some of these filters that paraquak showed, at Home depot, for like $1. I used to work there, and if a product gets "lost", like say it doesn't get stocked, ordered or purchased for a while, the computer will do a markdown. When i worked there, the policy was to "put any of these items at the paint counter, give customers 24 hours to buy before employees could buy them". I have gotten 50 pound boxes of nails for 1.00(a nightmare after the box got wet and weathered at my house..), packs of sandpaper for .09 cents, shower heads for a couple of dollars. I saw the filters, but this was years ago, before I realized "I am a prepper". Also, it only took a cellphone call to call my uncle and he would swing by and purchase things for us.
    I am guessing those filters are for pressurized?
    The berkey water filter elements are a little pricey, but I saw a video on YOUTUBE about how simple they are to manufacture. I will probably make both, becouse my water is extremely calcified, and the pipes are very old, would be kool to have both.
    Prepper dog, you have another container above filter using gravity? would an upside down three liter water bottle work, with the same fitting in the lid? OH, the ideas just never stop running around in my brain..

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    I have seen some of these filters that paraquak showed, at Home depot, for like $1. I used to work there, and if a product gets "lost", like say it doesn't get stocked, ordered or purchased for a while, the computer will do a markdown. When i worked there, the policy was to "put any of these items at the paint counter, give customers 24 hours to buy before employees could buy them". I have gotten 50 pound boxes of nails for 1.00(a nightmare after the box got wet and weathered at my house..), packs of sandpaper for .09 cents, shower heads for a couple of dollars. I saw the filters, but this was years ago, before I realized "I am a prepper". Also, it only took a cellphone call to call my uncle and he would swing by and purchase things for us.
    I am guessing those filters are for pressurized?
    The berkey water filter elements are a little pricey, but I saw a video on YOUTUBE about how simple they are to manufacture. I will probably make both, becouse my water is extremely calcified, and the pipes are very old, would be kool to have both.
    Prepper dog, you have another container above filter using gravity? would an upside down three liter water bottle work, with the same fitting in the lid? OH, the ideas just never stop running around in my brain..
    I use a 5 gallon bucket as the water supply which filters into a Sawyer purifier. From there the water hits the charcoal filter inline, then ends up in a storage container. I have two systems in case one goes bad. During my initial tests on the water behind the house I will be able to filter approximately 150+ gallons of water per day. I only need water for 3 but extra is good for bartering.

Stupid question here... Why not just use PVC pipe?

You can run a 1" line to a short 6" section and back out to a 1" line again. Fill it with whatever filter material you like.

I plan on making a bigger one with a used sand filter from a pool. Mo surface area means mo filter area.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

The filter system I showed is designed for a pressurized system, but I was able to get a 15 gallon/day flow of relatively clean water from a garbage can and a hose set up to siphon the water into the filter. The garbage can was about 5 feet above the filters.

I still like the small, lightwieght versatility of it, just haven't ben to the depot yet, and yes GT GALLOP, it would probabaly work awesome out of 1 and 6 pvc, for a home/camp based unit. I hope I find some of the water filters on sale when i do get to the home depot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links