Surburban prepping #1
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Surburban prepping #1

This is a discussion on Surburban prepping #1 within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; The numbers of city dwellers here are growing. Up until recently we were a serious minority. I will bug out if I have to but ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Surburban prepping #1

Surburban prepping #1

The numbers of city dwellers here are growing. Up until recently we were a serious minority. I will bug out if I have to but my intent is to stay put. Any place I could/would go is a long way off. We face an entirely different situation than the others here who are either living in a rural area or small town.

I am a city boy, born and raised. I grew up in the inner city and know the mentality. Yeah, I got out but only to the burbs. I have tried twice to get rural and found roadblocks. But that’s another story. I have been prepping since the early 90’s and have made a ton of mistakes along the way. All of my mistakes were money wasted on stuff that got thrown out but I learned valuable lessons.

In an urban/suburban area, just like every place else, you need food, water, shelter and a way to protect what you have. Smitty901 used to say to a lot of people here, if you can’t defend what you have then all you’re doing is holding stuff for other people. That wasn’t a direct quote but close enough. Truer words were never spoken. I intend to touch on many subjects that the urbanite/suburbanite will need to know to survive. Do I know it all, heaven forbid, no. But between me and others here who have been doing this a long time, we will help you get better at it. The intent here is to help you survive whatever we face.

One of the first things I recommend for everything is the KISS method. Keep it as simple as possible. The second thing I recommend is don’t try to do too much at once, start slowly. Everyone had to start somewhere and supplies were built over time.
    Slippy, dmet, rthomp77 and 6 others like this.

Super Moderator

Great idea for a thread @inceptor I have been thinking of doing one like it but just too lazy I guess. I live in the burbs myself so I will try to throw out as much knowledge as I can to help out anyone just beginning to prep.

My first piece of advice, find water sources. Look around your area for lakes, pools, creeks, water towers or any place else that you could get water. Also remember, if things get bad enough you WILL have to compete for those water sources.

Oh...and for anyone that may not know, the "KISS" in the KISS method stands for Keep It Simple Stupid.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Food is one of the major concerns of the city dweller. We all run down to the local grocery store when we run out. As you pick things up, buy a little extra. As you do, your stock pile will grow quicker than you would think. A great side effect of this, my wife calls the inceptor store. Whenever we run out of something in the kitchen, we hit the supply shelf. Then we add the item we grabbed to the shopping list to be replaced. Consider buying bulk at Sam’s, Costco, Winco or whatever you have in your area. Some are already buying bulk and storing it in mylar bags. Great idea but don’t try to do too much at once until you have the system worked out.

A Foodsaver is something handy to have. I started off with a cheap one from Walmart but we realized how well it works and how much money it has saved us that we upgraded and bought a better one at Costco. This will store grits, oats, rice or just about anything you use on a semi-regular basis and help keep it longer. We have found that using Foodsaver also helps freezer items last much longer. This question has been asked before but it can’t be said enough. A FOODSAVER WILL NOT WORK WELL ON MYLAR BAGS! A regular old clothes iron works great (get a cheap one or a used one). OP6 found a sealer on ebay I might try but I bought an iron at the local thrift shop and that’s what I use with a metal bar to seal the bag.

Some are buying long term storage items also. Dehydrated and freeze-dried works well for up to 25 years. These are also useful items to have but go slowly. Many of these businesses have smaller versions of what they have in #10 cans and buckets. Try it before you buy a large amount. You will be grateful later when you actually have to use the stuff. Some things taste different after being dehydrated or freeze-dried. A book I bought that has been a tremendous help to us is “Store this, not that”. It’s an easy book to find.

But something to think about. Learn to feed yourself. I’ll touch on this shortly.
    Last edited by inceptor; 09-06-2016 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    Cricket, Sasquatch, Slippy and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I'm also stuck in the burbs but I keep prepping anyway. Got water,food,weapons and ammo and the most important piece of gear is my brain. GF thinks I'm nuts but on more than one occasion my preps came in handy.
    Sasquatch, Annie and Newticus like this.
    We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballet box,the jury box and the cartridge box!

I'm a suburban dweller, too. My plan is to bug in. We'll bolt the doors, lock and load, go quiet, and not show any lights at night. One concern I have is that cooking food will attract hungry zombies who have survived the initial water-deprivation die off. So we prep a lot of canned food that can be eaten cold. Our sanitation requirements will also be taken care of without having to go outside. Eventually the neighborhood will empty out if we don't have a firestorm. It won't be pretty.
    Last edited by sideKahr; 09-06-2016 at 07:32 PM.
    Annie, A Watchman and rthomp77 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddcaliber View Post
    I'm also stuck in the burbs but I keep prepping anyway. Got water,food,weapons and ammo and the most important piece of gear is my brain. GF thinks I'm nuts but on more than one occasion my preps came in handy.
    It took forever to get my wife on board. She still doesn't believe things could HTF but I have shown her the benefits of what I'm doing. Instead of running to the store now when we need something right away, I just go take it off the self. She really likes that now. Also now if we forget to replenish she is really disappointed because she's now used to having most everything handy.

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    I'm a suburban dweller, too. My plan is to bug in. We'll bolt the doors, lock and load, go quiet, and not show any lights at night. One concern I have is that cooking food will attract hungry zombies who have survived the initial water-deprivation die off. So we prep a lot of canned food that can be eaten cold. Our sanitation requirements will also be taken care of without having to go outside. Eventually the neighborhood will empty out if we don't have a firestorm. It won't be pretty.
    @sideKahr you are correct, it won't be pretty. I think it's ok to plan for you and yours alone but I think what you will find is some neighbors who will band together. Don't forget, there is strength in numbers. I think also that's why God keeps me here, not to lead but to help. I can honestly tell you I know 2 of my neighbors but not very well at all. The others not at all. This is suburbia and most keep to themselves. Including yours truly. I still have the inner city mentality where I keep most things close to the chest. Even my wife doesn't know a fair amount of what we have. Things will change. People will change. Some will die early on. Some will die trying to take from others. But some will make it. And those will most likely band together. You can't be on guard 24/7. That's were the numbers will help. AND you will rebuild your community.
    Annie, Slippy, rthomp77 and 3 others like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Oddcaliber View Post
    Just think of it as depositing quarters. When some real SHTF situation happens your GF will look at you and know it's not...

Name:  gameover.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  8.8 KB
    Oddcaliber and rthomp77 like this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Yes, @inceptor , we will be inviting some family, if they can get here, and at least one like-minded, well-armed neighbor, so we will have a small group. There is safety in numbers, I agree.
    inceptor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Just think of it as depositing quarters. When some real SHTF situation happens your GF will look at you and know it's not...

Name:  gameover.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  8.8 KB
    Damn, the first thing that happened was I could hear the noise it made. Now I can't get it out of my head.
    Sasquatch likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links