Surburban prepping #1 - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Surburban prepping #1

This is a discussion on Surburban prepping #1 within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; We live rural, and we plan to rendezvous with family. But we also keep in touch with like minded friends. My advice is knowledge... You ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Surburban prepping #1

We live rural, and we plan to rendezvous with family. But we also keep in touch with like minded friends. My advice is knowledge... You can carry a hell of lot more of it than supplies. You definitely need supplies but I don't get too attached to them. Camping and survival skills go a long way once the dust settles and the herds have been thinned.
    tuffy_chick_13 likes this.

When I taught military stuff (firearms, combatives, radio courses), and even when I teach people how to shoot, cook, or anything worth teaching I always tell them: Mindset. Skillset. Toolset.

Just like buying a Ferrari doesn't make you a F1 Driver, a pair of Jordans don't make your LeBron James and a Daniel Defense does not make you a CIF/SMU guy, having stockpiles won't save you if you do not get into the proper mindset and hold simple truths self-evident:
    - Evil people are already out there killing, raping and stealing - now take away Law Enforcement, Infrastructure and Civil Instability - it will get that much worse
    - You will eventually have to defend yourself - killing another person is not an honorable thing, and it is not fun, trust me
    - You will never be the most prepared/ready - there is always areas to work on

Past that is Skillset - learn how to use that new medkit you bought, or how to swing that axe properly or how to siphon gas/purify water, start a fire...etc, you get the point. Get in the zone, then learn you something.

If you plan on staying put, which I think is smart if you have to get on a major highway or through a city center, don't want to get caught in that mess, then you need to identify some things:
    - Sources of water, any streams/lakes/ponds/water fountains or pools near you that you can grab water from to purify and drink?
    - Avenues of approach, the looters/rapers/killers will eventually make it to you - whether it is in a day, or in a few weeks (if you're still there) - can you make chokepoints, LDZs - or are there ones you should avoid.
    - Where can you get other supplies from - medical, mechanical, electrical, food - can you get to the closest store on foot? Can you carry the stuff, safely and efficiently in a hurry?
    - How are you going to secure yourself? Do you have a strongpoint in your house, do you have materials/know how to fortify areas or make a hasty defense?
    - Have your mode of transport stocked and ready to go at a moments notice - Johnny Badguy isn't to going to put your eventual sodomy on hold while you pack your bags

Linking with like-minded people and forming a society of sorts is definitely good, but you all have to be on the same page. Old people, small kids, animals and otherwise mentally/physically unprepared people will drag you down and get you killed/hurt. It may be cool to talk shop with a neighbor but now he brings over his 1-year old, his infirm mother, his overweight girlfriend - they're wasting resources and are a liability. I have a kid, they're a handful under perfect circumstances, I wouldn't want to put anyone else at risk with having to take care of a kid - and I wouldn't put myself in that position to be responsible for them.

Know your exit, I have topo maps and hard copies of the Google Maps overlay to Get outta Dodge, not just one, but multiple. There will invetiably be d-bags descending upon you, as well as out on the road, on top of burnt out cars and broken structures - so plan for that, because you WILL have to leave at one point or another.

If you haven't already look into ways to purify water, forage for food (hunt, wild edible plants), I have a rinky-dink home garden, but I'd extend that to hydroponics maybe, at least have a portable setup to drag with me when I Houdini my way out of the area.

I can't stress training enough. Know how to maintain your weapon, know how to maintain your household, your vehicle, condition your mind and your body and remember: Mindset, Skillset, Toolset
    Last edited by Denton; 09-07-2016 at 03:59 PM.

Excellent Post SOF!

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherSOFSurvivor View Post
    When I taught military stuff (firearms, combatives, radio courses), and even when I teach people how to shoot, cook, or anything worth teaching I always tell them: Mindset. Skillset. Toolset.

Just like buying a Ferrari doesn't make you a F1 Driver, a pair of Jordans don't make your LeBron James and a Daniel Defense does not make you a CIF/SMU guy, having stockpiles won't save you if you do not get into the proper mindset and hold simple truths self-evident:
    - Evil people are already out there killing, raping and stealing - now take away Law Enforcement, Infrastructure and Civil Instability - it will get that much worse
    - You will eventually have to defend yourself - killing another person is not an honorable thing, and it is not fun, trust me
    - You will never be the most prepared/ready - there is always areas to work on

Past that is Skillset - learn how to use that new medkit you bought, or how to swing that axe properly or how to siphon gas/purify water, start a fire...etc, you get the point. Get in the zone, then learn you something.

If you plan on staying put, which I think is smart if you have to get on a major highway or through a city center, don't want to get caught in that mess, then you need to identify some things:
    - Sources of water, any streams/lakes/ponds/water fountains or pools near you that you can grab water from to purify and drink?
    - Avenues of approach, the looters/rapers/killers will eventually make it to you - whether it is in a day, or in a few weeks (if you're still there) - can you make chokepoints, LDZs - or are there ones you should avoid.
    - Where can you get other supplies from - medical, mechanical, electrical, food - can you get to the closest store on foot? Can you carry the stuff, safely and efficiently in a hurry?
    - How are you going to secure yourself? Do you have a strongpoint in your house, do you have materials/know how to fortify areas or make a hasty defense?
    - Have your mode of transport stocked and ready to go at a moments notice - Johnny Badguy isn't to going to put your eventual sodomy on hold while you pack your bags

Linking with like-minded people and forming a society of sorts is definitely good, but you all have to be on the same page. Old people, small kids, animals and otherwise mentally/physically unprepared people will drag you down and get you killed/hurt. It may be cool to talk shop with a neighbor but now he brings over his 1-year old, his infirm mother, his overweight girlfriend - they're wasting resources and are a liability. I have a kid, they're a handful under perfect circumstances, I wouldn't want to put anyone else at risk with having to take care of a kid - and I wouldn't put myself in that position to be responsible for them.

Know your exit, I have topo maps and hard copies of the Google Maps overlay to Get outta Dodge, not just one, but multiple. There will invetiably be d-bags descending upon you, as well as out on the road, on top of burnt out cars and broken structures - so plan for that, because you WILL have to leave at one point or another.

If you haven't already look into ways to purify water, forage for food (hunt, wild edible plants), I have a rinky-dink home garden, but I'd extend that to hydroponics maybe, at least have a portable setup to drag with me when I Houdini my way out of the area.

I can't stress training enough. Know how to maintain your weapon, know how to maintain your household, your vehicle, condition your mind and your body and remember: Mindset, Skillset, Toolset
    AnotherSOFSurvivor likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Great idea for a thread inceptor. I'm in the same boat as you, a strong want/need to get my family into a rural area, but cannot seem to get there right now. Suburban living is my option right now and I 100% welcome ideas and knowledge from anybody that has been doing this longer than me.
    inceptor likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links