Emergency heat for an apartment. - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Emergency heat for an apartment.

This is a discussion on Emergency heat for an apartment. within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Two Seven One Thank you. I'm sure a lot of people that have read my posts here over the last few days ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Emergency heat for an apartment.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Two Seven One View Post
    Thank you. I'm sure a lot of people that have read my posts here over the last few days are thinking, "This guy wouldn't last 3 days if SHTF". My goal here is to learn from those of you with a lot of knowledge and expertise and hopefully be able to contribute to the community in the future based on what I have learned and practiced.
    Actually, I always appreciate questions of all types. Although I likely don't have to worry too much about emergency heat down here, your post did get me to thinking how long I could handle triple degree temps in the case of a long term power outage, so now I am doing some research too. By the way, if I hadn't said so yet, welcome to the community!
    Two Seven One likes this.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Actually, I always appreciate questions of all types. Although I likely don't have to worry too much about emergency heat down here, your post did get me to thinking how long I could handle triple degree temps in the case of a long term power outage, so now I am doing some research too. By the way, if I hadn't said so yet, welcome to the community!
    My wife has an easy answer for that, she heads to the motel.

She's a native Texan born and raised but she can't do without the A/C
    Cricket likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Its not an apartment but back when I was a kid we had a massive blizzard that knocked out power for over a week straight. My dad had a kerosene heater that he set up in the basement until it ran out of fuel but we stayed upstairs most of the time. We just dressed warmly and all slept together in the living room using thermal sleeping bags. Today I have a gas log fireplace in the basement, thinking about converting it back to a wood burner just in case.
    Two Seven One likes this.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

I know it might sound stupid but I was thinking I could tear my oven apart and convert it into a wood burning stove using torn out metal duct work to make a chimney for ventilation. My complex is surrounded by forest so there is plenty of wood.
    Are you my cousin Wilbur? That sounds like something he would do.
    Medic33 likes this.
    Be a Berean

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    Are you my cousin Wilbur? That sounds like something he would do.
    No but in a true SHTF pinch if I have to I sure as hell will. If you have a better idea what would you do? Thanks.
    A Watchman likes this.

No but in a true SHTF pinch if I have to I sure as hell will. If you have a better idea what would you do? Thanks.

hate to tell you but it's not possible to do it safely with a modern stove - it's some prepper urban legend BS that got started years ago from a Jericho TV episode .... most stove & broiler section on stoves heat vent out of a little slot back of the range burners - there's no central collection point for the oven .... that's not taking the heat into consideration - a wood or charcoal fire builds heat over twice what the stove is insulated to handle .... it would be safer and eazier to start from scratch and build a masonry one ....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 08-07-2016 at 07:39 PM.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    hate to tell you but it's not possible to do it safely with a modern stove - it's some prepper urban legend BS that got started years ago from a Jericho TV episode .... most stove & broiler section on stoves heat vent out of a little slot back of the range burners - there's no central collection point for the oven .... that's not taking the heat into consideration - a wood or charcoal fire builds heat over twice what the stove is insulated to handle .... it would be safer and eazier to start from scratch and build a masonry one ....
    Thanks, this was part of my initial question to start with. Maybe I should have expressed that better in my OP. My concern was if the oven was even safe to use to burn wood. The reason I even mentioned it instead of thinking to myself, "This would rock," was out of concern that it would not work. What about turning a water heater into a wood burning heat source? Is that viable?
    Last edited by Two Seven One; 08-07-2016 at 07:50 PM.

I'm not talking about the electricity (my current source of heat) being out for a like a few days. That I can deal with and thanks to advice from others here now have a plan for. I'm not worried about ripping up my oven and rig it if SHTF long term. I don't think my apartment manager will be around or even care in that case. As it stands now though yes I can't have certain items like grills or kerosene heaters while under normal circumstances. Thanks for the advice and as other have said I will get a Mr. Heater and some propane tanks to store in my utility closet. There is no rule against that.
    so now you can have kerosene? earlier you said this
    quote------- "Hello all,

As in my earlier posts I'm new to prepping. I live in an apartment complex and am trying to figure out a reliable emergency heat system should I stay put for some time during the winter season. We are not allowed to have kerosene heaters and such due to fire code. Plus even if I were to have one I imagine gas fuels would be in short supply/availability. What are some good alternatives?

I know it might sound stupid but I was thinking I could tear my oven apart and convert it into a wood burning stove using torn out metal duct work to make a chimney for ventilation. My complex is surrounded by forest so there is plenty of wood.

Anyway, I'm here for advice and recommendations and sorry if I sound stupid and totally newbish. Thank you for your time. "
    okay then moving on -well when I was a wee ladd we had a cabin it had a propane wall furnace did ok until the propane ran too low and dad shut it off -he then when out into the shed drug out an ancient cast iron pot belly stove
    set it up on some cinder blocks and put the flue(pipes) out one of the windows and boarded/insulated the air gaps with I think was or used to be called a fire blanket? not sure what it was but it wouldn't burn or melt and that is what we used up in the northern Minnesota Siberian freeze called winter during deer season that year it was warm we were happy. now maybe you could do something like that but remember when you burn wood to keep warm -like a generator every one know your there -they can smell the wood burning for a good distance and during the day see the smoke with a propane they see smell nothing and those one pound can you can buy in wall mart last a day or so each and can be bought a few at a time and stored for ever.
    oops

Thanks, this was part of my initial question to start with. Maybe I should have expressed that better in my OP. My concern was if the oven was even safe to use to burn wood. The reason I even mentioned it instead of thinking to myself, "This would rock," was out of concern that it would not work. What about turning a water heater into a wood burning heat source? Is that viable?

better off starting with a closed head steel drum - they actually sell a $50 DIY kit (exhaust piping extra $$) for converting a barrel into a working heat/cook unit .... there's all kinds of blogs & UTubes on additional DIYs to increase it's productivity and usefulness ....

when you're out cruising around - keep an eye out in the industrial type areas for locations that have stuff like barrels, wood pallets & materials that could prove useful in a SHTF situation ....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 08-08-2016 at 08:31 AM.
    Two Seven One and jandoe like this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links