Nuclear Apocalypse Gear List
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Nuclear Apocalypse Gear List within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Ok, so I purchased about 23 gas masks for my family at Christmas time to put in their bug out bags that I gave them ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Nuclear Apocalypse Gear List

Ok, so I purchased about 23 gas masks for my family at Christmas time to put in their bug out bags that I gave them last year.

I found a great deal on duct tape. $1 for 60 yards (irregular), which I'm giong to go tonight to purchase 23 rolls.

What other gear would you list for any type of Nuclear disaster? Note, my family is around 100 miles away from the nearest Nuclear plant, although the jetstream is downwind from us, I don't want some yayho who didn't get sleep last night to cause my family hardship.

So what say you Preppers, list anything and everything that one could use in a nuclear disaster emergency.

Potassium Iodide tabs? Disposable NBC Suit?
    Last edited by crystalphoto; 11-19-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    survival likes this.

A plane ticket to Jamaica...
    crystalphoto and survival like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Ah yes, I already got the tablets for them. Now the plane ticket, thats too costly for them.... I guess I'll have to leave them. :?
    Verteidiger likes this.

geiger counter would be the first thing, plus information on how radiation dissipates. If you could stay put for 1 week the radiation level may be only 1/100th it's peek level.
    survival likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rickkyw1720pf View Post
    geiger counter would be the first thing, plus information on how radiation dissipates. If you could stay put for 1 week the radiation level may be only 1/100th it's peek level.
    Great idea, I'll print off some information and stuff it in their gas mask bags, hopefully they will read it before hand.

I bought 500 potasium capsules and gave some to my son to put in his bob. My daughter lives about 3 hours away and I will be giving some capsules to her in the next few days. I don't have any gas mask yet just the little white mask. I did buy tons of plastic sheeting and lots of duct tape. There are many nuclear power plants in Illinois and that is the direction the wind comes from here in southwest Ohio. If one of those plants malfunction I plan on sealing up the windows and doors and wait it out.

Great information here WHAT TO DO IF A NUCLEAR DISASTER IS IMMINENT!
    this is very important and something that most people don't know
    Radioactive fallout from a nuclear explosion, though very dangerous initially, loses its intensity quickly because it is giving off so much energy. For example, fallout emitting gamma ray radiation at a rate over 500 R/hr (fatal with one hour of exposure) shortly after an explosion, weakens to only 1/10th as strong 7 hours later. Two days later, it's only 1/100th as strong, or as deadly, as it was initially.

That is really very good news, because our families can readily survive it IF we get them into a proper shelter to safely wait it out as it becomes less dangerous with every passing hour.

What stops radiation, and thus shields your family, is simply putting mass between them and the radiation source. Like police body armor stopping bullets, mass stops (absorbs) radiation. The thicker and heavier the mass, the more radiation it stops, and the more effective it is with every inch more you add to your fallout shelter. The thickness in inches needed to cut the radiation down to only 1/10th of its initial intensity for different common materials is: Steel 3.3", concrete 11", earth 16", water 24", wood 38". The thickness required to stop 99% of the radiation is: 5" of steel, 16" of solid brick or hollow concrete blocks filled with mortar or sand, 2 feet of packed earth or 3 feet if loose, 3 feet of water. (BTW, lead is nothing special, same as anything else pound for pound.) You may not have enough steel available, but anything you do have will have mass and can be used to add to your shielding - it just takes more thickness of lighter wood or books, for example, than heavier earth, to absorb and stop the same amount of radiation. Increasing the distance between your family inside and the radiation outside also reduces the radiation intensity.

Don't forget to check some of the links at the bottom of the page for more information and Items.
    Last edited by rickkyw1720pf; 11-27-2012 at 12:42 AM.
    Denton likes this.

I had family that served on nuclear submarines and they were issued small radiation exposure meters that were worn on a belt. I bet there could be small civilian models or even government surplus ones up for sale that would be much cheaper than a working geiger counter and everyone in the family can have one on their person.

Banned

I'm screwed. I live less than 1 air mile from a naval shipyard one direction and less than 7 air miles from a nuclear submarine base the other direction. But damn if Western Washington isn't pretty! There will be nothing left but my shadow....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links