Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

backup generator

4K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Mad Trapper 
#1 ·
First I want to explain that generators are rated in watts but appliances are probably rated in amps.
Always make sure on a generator listing that you are looking at run wattage versus surge wattage.

So, to figure the amperage a generator will provide you divide the wattage by the voltage. a 4000watt generator would be 4000 divided by 120(voltage) or 33amps maximum.

On the other hand, to figure the wattage of an appliance you know the amperage of you multiply voltage times amperage. So a 9.6amp air conditioner I have would be 9.6 times 120 equal 1152watts.

Never figure you can get by with minimum size generator.

As for myself, I need 240VAC for my well pump so got a 5500watt generator in 2003 & has a 30amp 240VAC plug. Can't run everything in the house at the same time but don't have to. Generator saved my butt from the 2004 hurricanes. Also nice that it will power my arc welder.

#2 ·
First I want to explain that generators are rated in watts but appliances are probably rated in amps.
Always make sure on a generator listing that you are looking at run wattage versus surge wattage.

So, to figure the amperage a generator will provide you divide the wattage by the voltage. a 4000watt generator would be 4000 divided by 120(voltage) or 33amps maximum.

On the other hand, to figure the wattage of an appliance you know the amperage of you multiply voltage times amperage. So a 9.6amp air conditioner I have would be 9.6 times 120 equal 1152watts.

As for myself, I need 240VAC for my well pump so got a 5500watt generator in 2003 & has a 30amp 240VAC plug. Can't run everything in the house at the same time but don't have to. Generator saved my butt from the 2004 hurricanes. Also nice that it will power my arc welder.
Also keep in mind your amperage will be limited by the weakest link in the system. For example, if your wire from your generator to the transfer switch is 10 gauge the maximum amperage rating for that wire would be 30 amps only. If you hook up a 9000 watt generator to a circuit with 10 gauge wire and a 100 amp breaker you are asking for an electrical fire.

#3 ·
I though you just kept plugging things in until the cord got hot then unplug a couple. Joking, you make a good point. We have 3 and use only what is needed if the power goes out. Another thing to remember is isolate any thing you are running on a generator from the grid, you could kill a repair worker.

Reactions: Denton
#4 ·
Thanks Smitty901. Too many times uneducated "electricians" think they can just run the generator feed into their fuse/circuit breaker panel and run what ever they need to. Not think that the generator will be sending power down the line to whee that unsuspecting repair worker is handling wires knowing they're dead. OPPS. Happened in ILL during a tornado disaster.

#5 ·
I am pretty sure it is illegal in most places to back feed into the grid. Most places require either a transfer switch or an interlock device be installed which would only allow the generator to power your panel if the main breaker is in the off position. People don't realize when your little generator runs back through the transformer on the pole the voltage gets stepped back up considerably and you really can kill a linesman who thinks the power is off.

#8 ·
I've seen some unique ways of wiring a home to make it compatible for a generator. While extension cords may not be the easiest, I feel it is the safest for the home electrician. In my new house down here in AZ, I was amazed to find the normal way for a furnace to be wired to the home was thru a standard 120 volt, 15 Amp 3 prong grounded plug. Al I have to do is pull out of the outlet and connect to the generator I don't have yet. But I'm working on it.

#9 ·
I use a 3 prong 240 volt outlet that is usually powering my pool pump. The problem is as I described above, it is a 30 amp circuit with 10 AWG wire which limits me to 30 amps of draw for my panel. I use what is called a "suicide plug" to connect it... LOL

#10 ·

Knowing that math and cognitive skills will be grossly compromised when the SHTF, I have taken the liberty of doing the math and putting labels on all of my gear that I will want to run and on my inverters

#14 ·
My generator burns about a gallon per hour. To keep things similar to running on the power company we run the generator for an hour in the morning and from 6 to 8 at night. So three hours a day. Equals three gallons of gas per day. This is enough to keep the house warm. The freezer full and the cow tank full of water. We currently are almost without gas storage at my home. Shamefully given gas is 2.93 per gallon not far away.

#16 · (Edited)
There are many many places online that will give you a chart of the typical draw of each appliance you want to run and how big of generator you will probably need. Just search for generator load chart.
I have a 8000 watt running 13,500 watt starting generator, which will run all that I have, except for the central AC., Note that I have a gas furnace, and a gas hot water tank.

#18 ·
Unfortunately you can not just compare the watts a generator puts out with the watts an appliance uses. Usually you are getting running wattage of an appliance. Anything with a motor requires a lot higher starting current. Now a lot of generators will have the ability to supply a much heaver current for a shot time to make up for this but you better check before you buy.

#22 ·
I have a 4000watt generator, rather than take chances with it connected to my breaker box, I've got an extension cord and a powerbar that will allow me to run the freezer and charge some electronics. Much better than killing a line worker by accident.
Besides, if I stay connected to the grid, I will know when the power comes back (assuming that its just a winter storm power outage)

#23 ·
Extension cords are problematic because you have to leave a door or window open to run the cord to the generator, also you have no lights which sucks. If you want to know when the power is back on just look at your street lol when the houses near you who haven't prepared are lit up once again you will know the power is back on. If you aren't comfortable call an electrician to put in a generator connect.

#24 ·
Turning the main feed breaker off before back feeding into the breaker box is a must, and will keep from injury to a electrical worker. I just unplug the 220v dryer and plug the generator in after turning off the main breaker of course. I have a digital watt meter, when it's blank, electricity is still off, when it can be read, power back on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.