Where to find water in a city during an emergency.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Where to find water in a city during an emergency.

This is a discussion on Where to find water in a city during an emergency. within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Aside from obtaining water in stores and such where it would probably be crowded, I only would have enough water to last a day, when ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Where to find water in a city during an emergency.

Post Where to find water in a city during an emergency.

Aside from obtaining water in stores and such where it would probably be crowded, I only would have enough water to last a day, when generally get home situations can span three days. My question is, because I live in a dense urban sprawl, where can I find water to refill my pack in an emergency situation, such as a power outage or a more extreme alternative (hurricanes don't count obviously). This isn't the wilderness, I am trying to get hydrated in the city.
    Eyeball and lindamams like this.

Quote Originally Posted by User902 View Post
    ..I live in a dense urban sprawl, where can I find water to refill my pack in an emergency situation, such as a power outage or a more extreme alternative (hurricanes don't count obviously). This isn't the wilderness, I am trying to get hydrated in the city.
    Me too, because if the kitchen tap runs dry (because a plague or whatever has zapped the water workers) I'm about 5 miles from the nearest fresh river water.
    I live in Plymouth UK (my place circled) only 50 yards from the Atlantic but I can't touch a drop of it unless I can buy some kind of still to remove the salt, can any PF members recommend a good model?

Slippy, User902 and lindamams like this.

You can get water from a hot water tank, use wisely, same goes for a toilet tank if you are wise enough to not dump it in a flush.

They have a drain on the bottom of the heater that you can gravity drain it.

At the point you need that there will be no running water anyways.

If you have a hard time getting it getting it out open the pressure relief valve on top to break the vacuum.

You may have to filter out some solids that build up at the bottom of the tank, they won't hurt you just nasty to look at.

Flushing a water heater is a good idea once a year. Screwed if a tankless type.

If this is a concern, why not put back a dozen gallons of warter to be safe???

I have town water, a well, a river behind me and a lake out front,

but I still have about 25 gallons of Wally World distilled water jugs put away in unused closet and cabinet space and more in my shop.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 11-21-2020 at 07:36 PM.
    Robie, KUSA, Slippy and 5 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Solar Still.
    That which doesn't kill me had better start running.

Urban landscape means lots of commercial buildings with a lot of water in the pipes. A '4-way' or 'sillcock' key is in order.
    User902, Joe and lindamams like this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

I think most cities have numerous parks with lakes and ponds. Also there are normally several municipal golf courses, each with several water features. I prefer the Sawyer Mini for water purification but I also have several Lifestraws. Just hunt up your closest pond, river or lake.
    User902 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    I think most cities have numerous parks with lakes and ponds. Also there are normally several municipal golf courses, each with several water features. I prefer the Sawyer Mini for water purification but I also have several Lifestraws. Just hunt up your closest pond, river or lake.
    They don't do viruses or chemicals, and the city water is full of them. Be well armed in city parks.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 11-21-2020 at 08:47 PM.
    Redneck, User902, inceptor and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by User902 View Post
    Aside from obtaining water in stores and such where it would probably be crowded, I only would have enough water to last a day, when generally get home situations can span three days. My question is, because I live in a dense urban sprawl, where can I find water to refill my pack in an emergency situation, such as a power outage or a more extreme alternative (hurricanes don't count obviously). This isn't the wilderness, I am trying to get hydrated in the city.
    As a last resort, you can distill the blood of your enemies into potable water.
    SOCOM42, Slippy and Joe like this.

Get something like these:

lindamams likes this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Get something like these:

If someone gets one of these, make sure the floor will hold the weight.

They will do the trick for storage.
    inceptor likes this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links