Finally... Will your body be ready?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Finally... Will your body be ready? within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; This thread is part of the “Coming Civil War” group of threads. Please see the Primer/Premise thread --> HERE <-- for context and links to ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Finally... Will your body be ready?

This thread is part of the “Coming Civil War” group of threads.
    Please see the Primer/Premise thread --> HERE <-- for context and links to other related topics.

My personal struggle...
    I've been a desk jockey since graduating college. My teen and college years were all spent outside throwing hay bales, stringing fence, digging ditches, cutting trees, shoveling stalls, busting concrete, running a tractor, building barns, and running horses. I was a strong lad. 6ft. 175lbs of lean machine.
    That framework is still there. Only now it is insulated under thick layers or “protection”.
    Last weigh in, I was 270lbs. SOME of that is additional muscle from months-long bouts of hard weight lifting. The rest of it is years-long bouts with Little Debbie. She always seems to win.

I'm not trying to sugar coat this... I am NOT in fighting shape.
    But I am trying to change that.

I see what could be coming, I am convinced more now than I was when I started this string of threads.
    But this topic, this one I'm writing up at this very moment, was the spark that spurred on ALL of the rest.
    I am expected to be my family's mighty warrior, protector of the keep, defender of the young and innocent... and I get winded bending over to tie my shoes.
    This has to change.
    I MUST CHANGE!
    I printed out a single question in large font on a sheet of paper that now sits next to the monitor I'm typing in front of at this moment. I printed it on the night this whole idea struck me to start his conglomeration of threads...
    It says:

“WILL YOU BE READY?”

It started as a call to myself to fix my bad habits. I need to be ready, not only for my sake, but for my family's sake. I need to correct the things I know I can fix in me. I can't fix you, or anyone else, but I can fix me. That was my goal. That is what grew into these 30 threads of discussion. Will I be ready for what is coming?

Once I committed to myself that I would change, it occurred to me that I could trigger others to look into their own lives and see what they needed to do to prepare for what I see in our future. All the questions started flooding my mind. All of the areas I'd never considered, or never tried to “make real” in my own head. All of them, and more, would come out over the next two weeks.

At the time of this writing, November 3rd is 23 days away. This all kicks off sometime after that date. Some believe we are already there. With the latest news of a Trump supporter being shot by a Trump hater hired as “security” after the Trump supporter sprayed pepper spray, those who believe we are already there have more support than ever.

What can you do to improve your physical health to ensure you are still kicking when this kicks off? What can you change now that will positively alter your life 23+ days from now to put you in a better position to deal with what's coming?

I'm dropping weight and starting cardio. Adding some weight conditioning back in will help to get the muscles back in working order. Just getting your muscle groups used to doing work again can make you feel stronger, as your body corrects the nervous system's interaction with fast and slow muscle fibers that have deteriorated from less use. In a week or two of doing normal lifting of moderate weight, you will feel stronger even if you gain zero muscle mass. I'm serious. Give it a try.

Start eating better.
    Drink less.
    Smoke less.
    Move around more.

Yeah, it's gonna suck. But it will suck a lot less than what you might be dealing with in two months. Get in better shape now so you can deal with troubling times later.

It's coming.

Be ready.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Well at least this is an easy answer. NO!

Ok, so I'm a little over weight. Well maybe more than a little. Plus I'm getting old. Ok, so I am old. Pushing 70 isn't easy. One thing I can pass along to the youngins is getting old isn't for sissy's.

I've had back surgery so the spine is okay now but I still have a stiff back about half the time. One knee is titanium and the other needs to be replaced at some point. I'm putting that off as long as I can. And my wife tells me I smoke too much. She's a non-smoker so my man cave is in the garage.

We have a treadmill and I know I should use it more often but I usually hit my 10k steps per day anyhow. I'm still active, well unless I'm playing my PS4. then that kills the steps that day.

But I'm still an old guy who can be an asshole when called for. When it comes time to tell people to get off my lawn, I may or may not tell them. They just might have to figure it out the hard way. That will depend on them. Just sayin.......

The world may decide I need to lose weight and stop smoking. I won't go hungry but I'll be cutting back and will lose weight. They may not like the attitude of someone who has been forced to quit smoking.

Will have to admit to being on the same boat. Had lost nearly 40 pounds last winter into spring. Walking 2 miles a day and lifting weights besides working. Don't really know why the Covid 39 hit so hard but I found all that lost weight this summer. Have to remember how great I felt and actually had a little spring in my step back then.

Your 100% right. Need this little kick in the rear end to get started again. Thanks.
    Kauboy and Michael_Js like this.
    That which doesn't kill me had better start running.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I will be 61 in December. Arthritis is taking it's toll on my knees and shoulders, 3 ruptured disks in my back that I know of, I m carrying extra pounds and my eyes aren't what they used to be. I am back to walking but my running days are over, my knees wont take it, and I swim while the weather holds. The back issue makes weight work difficult. I won't be going toe to toe with a 21 year old. I am also an army of one so without support I won't last long against a determined foe of any number. I will do the best I can with what I have for as long as I can.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

In the movie, The Patriot, Mel Gibson is confronted with the possibility of going to war . . . and at first is very much against it.

His little speech said these words: "But mark my words . . . this war will be fought not on the frontier . . . or on some distant battlefield . . . but amongst us . Among our homes . . . our children will learn of it with their own eyes . . . and the innocent will die with the rest of us . . . "

The coming conflict if it arrives as many of us expect . . . will be just as Mel Gibson spoke.

But that was then the cost of freedom . . . was the cost in Lincoln's day . . . and is seriously beginning to look like the cost in our day.

In the Bible book of Esther . . . she is confronted about possibly losing her life . . . or saving the nation of Israel . . . her uncle asks her: " For if thou altogether holdest thy peace at this time, then shall there enlargement and deliverance arise to the Jews from another place; but thou and thy father's house shall be destroyed: and who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this? " (Esther 4:14 (KJV))

That may be our lot . . . and so be it.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Short answer.. maybe. LOL. Probably not though.

I too will be 61 in December but I’m in fairly good shape despite physically abusing my body in my youth. Knee surgeries and a bad back are the issues. But, I’m 6’7”, 215 and that is what I was in college. I’ve stayed healthy, can move, could still play ball some, walk and the Wench has me eating right along with vitamins.

My body will not be ready like a 20, 30 year old be it will be as ready as most 40 or 50 year olds. I dare say, with a still flat stomach I’m probably in better shape that some of these millennials.

But no.. my body is not fit for war.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Still in my forties, but fifty sure is getting close. All the guns, ammo and preps aren't gonna benefit if I can't be there to implement them. I need to do better as well.
    Kauboy, Michael_Js and dwight55 like this.
    Romans 10:9 KJV
    That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Ditto, ditto, and some ditto...

Slightly overweight...61 next March...not the best knees...arthritis...degenerative disks in lower back and neck...However, I do what I need and try not to sit on my butt too much - ask my wife

However, I couldn't keep up with younger folks...I also don't plan on going out and seeking the fight - someday, it will come to me, I'm sure. We are going to work on getting together with the closest neighbors - who all seem pretty friendly, and most shoot on their property, as I do. However, I won't just sit on my butt if they bring the fight to me...I'll die standing, with lots of brass around me - OK, some cheap steel too!

I try though, pushups, recumbent bike each evening, stretching, lots of yard work, gardening, etc...no gym, not buff...I need work, yes, work...

Peace,
    Michael J.

The Good Cop

Nope.
    Age 72, one total knee replacement and need the other one done. Walking more than 100 yards is quite painful.
    One shoulder was totally ruined 35 years ago, it’s been held together with screws and wire since 2010. Other one needs to be rebuilt.
    But, due to cataract surgery 20 years ago I can still see the gunsights just fine.
    And I don’t understand sissies who say an M1 rifle is “too heavy”.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Interesting OP. Not to beat a dead horse but at 60 I've never felt better and I mean that sincerely. I'm healthier and more energetic that at any other time in my life. I attribute my current condition to the Keto diet: Very low carbs (zero sugar or processed foods); moderate protein; and high levels of healthy fats (coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, ghee, butter from grass-fed cows, etc.). I lost 70lbs in a year and hardly had to workout in the process. I'm more ready for SHTF today than I was 5 or 10 years ago.

Arthritis, gout, acne, bursitis, back pain, etc. ... all gone!!!
    George Soros is Satan's blood relative.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links