Finally... Will your body be ready? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Finally... Will your body be ready?

This is a discussion on Finally... Will your body be ready? within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy And I don’t understand sissies who say an M1 rifle is “too heavy”. It would certainly make a wonderful ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Finally... Will your body be ready?

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    And I don’t understand sissies who say an M1 rifle is “too heavy”.
    It would certainly make a wonderful club in a pinch.
    Romans 10:9 KJV
    That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    .................And I don’t understand sissies who say an M1 rifle is “too heavy”.
    My WW2 Navy uncle never had a good word for the Garand . . . and while I don't recall all the complaints . . . they were there.

Obviously . . . when the gunny handed me my Garand and a 8 clip bandolier of ammo to go down country with . . . I was not a happy camper.

One of my favorite Navy days was the day I handed our gunny the Garand . . . and he handed me a brand new cosmolene clean M14.

I still don't like the Garand . . . but would take it in a pinch . . . as I know what I can do with it.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Is my body ready for the SHTF? No. I mainly think about prepping for "kids" and grandkids.
    At this stage of the game, going out in a blaze of glory looks more and more like the ticket.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I am not in the shape I once was. I am in better shape than any my age I know.. I can still out run many. I will get by for a while yet. Part of getting old is even if you maintain your body. It takes longer to recover when pushing it.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by NewRiverGeorge View Post
    It would certainly make a wonderful club in a pinch.
    Yup. I can come upwards with a butt stroke hard enough to put your family jewels in your nasal cavity.

Slash and smash, parry and thrust, heck with that 10+ pounds of wood and steel ya don't even need a bayonet on the end.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

Nope. Not at all. Structural damage makes normal living less than enjoying and the ortho warned me against working out.

I’ll just do the best that I can.
    inceptor, Michael_Js, Inor and 3 others like this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    I’ll just do the best that I can.
    As will many of us.

I’m 35 and think I’m in decent all around shape. I lift weights a lot, ride my bicycle, kayak, do sprints, elliptical, and recently I tried out for our swat team and gassed running up and down bleachers at a small college stadium while carrying a ballistic shield. As I was doing it I thought this isn’t good I’m only half way done with the test. I passed the entire test with 40 seconds to spare but that was an eye opener. I think like some that hunkering down and fighting might be a better option then running around the country side carrying 50 pounds of gear if shtf.
    Denton, inceptor, dwight55 and 1 others like this.

I'm 53 years old and have not been near a gym since high school.

Today was the first day of our Fall round up. My arms, shoulders and back are killing me from spending the entire afternoon heaving bales of hay getting ready for the afternoon feeding. My knees and hips barely work from spending about 6 hours this morning riding hard gathering cows and calves and bringing them in. Every inch of exposed skin on my entire body is bright red from sunburn or wind burn (or both). In short, I hurt worse than I have at any time since... our last round up in early July.

I have no idea if I am physically strong enough to deal with whatever might come. The only thing I know for sure is that I am tough enough to work through the pain without slowing down. That is a good thing since tomorrow and Wednesday are sorting and pen work which means getting kicked several times by cows and calves. I have not yet made a determination if I am going to climb in the pens and help sort bulls this year. Bulls scare the shit out of me and I am not as fast as I was a few years ago.
    inceptor, Denton, dwight55 and 5 others like this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

I went to our area's gym this morning before the sun was fully up. I try to get there five times per week, with Saturday off.

I got the message as a younger man. I saw what over-eating, smoking and liquor did to a guy. And now that I just turned 70 years old, I'm still lifting a little more every time--and I even have all my hair! Oh, it's gray and white, but it's there! And remember, I hate doing crunches...

I'm not sure if you can start a regimen like this at 50 or 60 years old. I'd walk the track, and get onto one of those "reverse escalator" models that force you to lift your leg for each step. This will begin to strengthen you quads and build endurance.

Don't forget about your back. Just about everyone I know has had a back problems, and usually it's from too-much-too-quick and/or sloppy technique.

I would also read the articles on our elite soldiers and how they prepared. They are retired and they still could do the job. It might put a bee in your bonnet.
    ActionJackson and Michael_Js like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links